Posts by opty165

Please give us performance ITX boards with Zen! I want to build an awesome SFF rig, but not with Intel parts.
I hope they do this soon. Chrome eats up all my RAM on my Surface Pro 3. Granted I only have the 4GB model, but still!
I'm sure I've owned an older AMD 500mhz or slower CPU in random HP towers; but my first AMD CPU I bought was an AMD Athlon 3000+ Venice core. Man that thing was amazing! Overclocking it was a breeze in my DFI nforce 4 Ultra board. This would of been around the time I joined OCN. 2006 I believe. I had a lot of help from many members back then with all my noobie questions!
I've always been a long time Western Digital fan when it comes to hard drives, although I do have 2 Hitachi 2TB Deskstars from 2010 still running like champs in my storage pool. After some searching around on Newegg I noticed these HGST 4TB NAS drives that has a 5 star rating among users! I understand HGST used to be Hitachi, but is now owned by Western Digital; so what drive would you recommend more? Based on the feedback alone on Newegg, I'd jump at the HGST right now!...
One L5640 would be a 6 core with HT, so 12 threads total for one chip. I've been able to support up to 3 concurrent users just fine with my dual E5530's which gives me 16 threads total. Like I said though, Plex will use all cores to 100% no matter how many you give it. I think it will work fine though.
Just looking to see what this kit is worth now a days. I know they were going for quite a bit since Samsung stop production of them. Not to mention they overclock up to 2133 and beyond for some! I'm currently running mine at 1866. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147096
I'm almost in the same situation as you are with Plex, except I only really have 1-3 users at any given time. My setup is currently dual Xeon E5530's. You can find these chips for cheap on ebay ($15). The E5530's are 4 core/8 thread 80watt chips. Alternatively you can get L5520/30 which are low power 40watt chips, or an L5640 which is a low power 6 core/12 thread. I'll eventually be upgrading my server to the L5640's to cut down on power draw and boost available threads...
I haven't read much up on HDD replacements for the PS4, but I'd always recommend a 7200rpm over a 5400rpm. I can't speak for SSHD's though.
Sounds like this whole system is made for people who shouldn't be driving in the first place...
Self-aware cars!