Posts by opty165

Yea I did read your post lol. I only said that they are upping the speeds in certain area's. I don't know how you can say that I will never see those speeds though. Did you even read through the DSLReports thread I linked? If you did you would see that people are getting their advertised speeds in the deployment areas, and that a modem upgrade is required to support those speeds. During peek hours of usage however, the speeds would be less then advertised. This use to be...
Um... I think you need to read a little better before you decide to comment. I was definitely talking about TWC(Time Warner Cable) and not Comcast. The speed increases are already happening in the TWC market area's. I believe they started in NYC and Los Angeles with the roll-out, and now it seems they are pushing it out to more area's. A friend of mine got a call last week from TWC asking if he would like to upgrade to the new speed tier. It's called TWC Maxx, but I think...
Right there with ya on that. We need more choice. Only then will our infrastructure and prices get better.
It's actually getting better, at least in the North East around NY state. A friend of mine just got upgraded to the 100/15 I think it was? Apparently those speeds will be the standard instead of 15/5.EDIT: I did check to see what my current speeds (30/5) will turn into eventually. Looks like it would be 200/20! As long as TWC keeps data caps away, then I'm happy. *But still not happy about any merger...
Looking to unload my mATX AM3+ board. It served me great as part of my gaming rig and in my media server after that. At one point it had my Phenom 955BE at 4GHZ stable for well over a year. Definitely a solid board. You'd be hard pressed to find another mATX AM3+ board with all the same features. One big reason I picked this up is for Crossfire in a mATX form factor. I'm looking for $65+ shipping to CON48. I have heatware @ bb12489 and also my trader rep here.
Honestly between an i5 and a Phenom....I won't notice a difference either in general computing tasks or for use in an HTPC. Who the hell cares if the i5 is faster in benchmarks and real world applications at that point. I'd much rather spend the $90 instead of $300 for an HTPC.
Plex Media Server is definitely cross-platform. The media server portion can be installed on Windows, Mac, Linux/BSD, or even directly to certain NAS boxes. There is also a Windows 8 plex app that would work great for your wifes surface pro, but you can always access Plex through a web browser as well. Also since the Kindle Fire is Android, you can download the Plex app from the Play Store or Amazon App Store. If you have a lot of different devices that will be accessing...
1. I know not a lot of people on here talk about it, but check out StableBit Drive Pool. It's what I'm currently using at the moment for my 10.4TB pool of drives. It uses data duplication for redundancy, and has a lot of configurable options. It's also very easy to setup. The best part about it is that you don't have to have Windows Server OS to run it. It will work fine on Windows 7 or 8 as well. Windows 8 actually has a storage pool solution built in called Storage...
This is a post I thought I would never see a year ago....totally agree though. Can't understand all the hate towards 8/8.1. I always thought it was funny when people said the desktop was "gone" in 8, yet all I had to do was hit the Windows key and there it was
So I'm finally to the point where I am expanding on the capabilities of my server. I came across a deal on a nice Supermicro board with two Xeon E5530's that I couldn't pass up. This will give me 16 threads to work with. Now I'm at a cross roads on what to do here. My current server setup has been very simple. Basically just Windows Home Server 2011 with StableBit Drive Pool for storage. Then running any other miscellaneous services like Sabnzbd, Couchpotato, Plex, etc....