Posts by 2advanced

SOURCE
I'll admit I skimmed through the thread, and I did read the part about your being able to surpass 4.5Ghz, but you're still missing the point. You shouldn't have to touch the fsb AT ALL for this overclock range. There isn't much more that you can achieve with the fsb that you cant already get to with just the multiplier alone, so why throw another wrench at the problem?These are my current settings for 4.9Ghz.As far as my issue with the cold boot, the chips stability is...
You should have no need to touch the base clock for 4.5GHz, and generally, should be left alone unless you've hit a wall or are fine tuning. I would start by setting it back to 200Mhz. 4.5 is a walk in the park for this chip, and should need no more than a slight voltage bump+ 22.5x multiplier and a fair cooler to achieve reliably. I currently have the same setup as you on a test bench with a closed loop water cooler, and even at a stable 5.1Ghz, I've had not need to...
I wouldn't start messing with the FSB just yet. Since your cooling is obviously working great, I would just stick to bumping the multiplier and voltage. You should be able to hit 4.8 with 1.46-1.48V during load. I usually reserve FSB tweaking for the fine tuning of an overclock higher than 4.8 since I've yet to come across PD Chip that wont run reliably at 4.8Ghz with just Voltage and Multiplier.
It seems like you've already made up your mind about the cooler, so I see little reason to share details. I will give you this much though; my comparisons were all conducted within 2 hours at 78 degree F ambients. I used a lian li test bench with an 8350 @ 4.5 Ghz. Coolers (2x each, 4x mounts total) were run back to back for two 10 minute sessions of Prime 95 Blend with their respective fans set to max speed. Each mount was stressed at both the vertical and...
It does. Click on the pics to make em bigger.
Right? That's why I walked away from this cooler, and wont recommend to anyone.
The Zalman Optima will give you as much as 10 degrees worth of thermal headroom when compared to the Hyper Evo, and usually costs less. Its actually $10 right now AMIR at newegg.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118099
It really depends on the cooler. Heat-pipe style coolers like the 212 will theoretically work better when horizontal due to the fact that gravity will help pool the water at its base where it makes contact with the CPU. Of course, the wick would eliminate the need for it to be in that position, but its been my experience that the 212 in particular will benefit from a horizontal position.Made no sense to me either, but I saw as much as a 10 degree difference between both...
Nothing wrong with the cooler, its just not as good compared to the equally priced Zalman Optima. I've seen as much as a 10 degree difference between the two, which is considerable when overclocking. Also, the 212 Evo doesnt respond that well when adding a second fan (2~3 degrees).Take it from a user and abuser of both, the Optima is a far better cooler.