Posts by givmedew

Meeting the minimum needs and cost are the MOST important things. Second goal is education. I would like to use all business class components so that I can learn how to set them up as part of getting into the beginning education for CCENT then CCNA. What it MUST be capable of doing... I need to get 100mbit ethernet internet connection to 3 gigabit capable devices which are a PC, unRaid server, and a consumer grade gigabit ethernet router w/ wifi. I would prefer to...
Depending on the rig I usually take a ~12" Honeywell round house fan on high and point it directly at the board. The CPU fan should be running at max already since you should have it set to do 100% at anything over ~70C. The computer is under a lot more stress than normal... especially the VRMs so you need to make sure they are getting plenty of air.I'm not saying either is truly 100% safe. That said I have done it many many many times with a razor blade and I have seen...
Still looking around... if anyone knows of anything let me know.The one that was recommended above is an i7 dual core instead of quad core and doesn't have a 3d graphics card and is the same price as the i5 quad w/ 3d graphics card which the i5 quad would certainly be faster than the i7 dual.
I have a Lenovo Yoga 11s it had windows 8.1 on it (legit install) I upgraded to windows 10 let it activate and everything was fine. Then after a week or so I wanted to get all my SSD hard drive space back so I did a clean install of windows 10 when I did that I deleted my backup partition on purpose since I wouldn't ever have wanted to restore to windows 8 and I knew that I could just do a reset on windows 10 or worse case do a full clean install and it keeps the keys in...
Good job... what the temps on everything under load? Core, VRM etc..
It's worth a try with the GTX 285 because it was made when this was a common issue with electronics. XBOX 360 suffered from this issue, MacBook w/nvidia (pre-09), PS3, several GPUs etc. This doesn't seem to be a common issue anymore. The 290 was designed to run at 95C all day long all day strong. That said... and another reason why I wouldn't toss it in the oven... is that I had a 290X that all the memory chips fell off. That was simply caused by the temperatures the...
So,If your playing a game that says NVIDIA at the beginning or even sometimes if it doesn't... Simple fix for overdoing tessellation!You just go into the settings create a game profile and FORCE the maximum tessellation down to 16x. I set it to 8x on fallout just to be safe because I couldn't tell a difference (there probably is one). I might have been over-cautious with it but...That said...I own (2) 290X and (1) GTX 970 G1 Gaming. I've mentioned this before but I am...
So my step mother calls me 2 days ago says my brother needs a laptop and she wants me to choose it for him. I'm thinking a budget of $300-450 since I know he only wants it for internet. I mention this budget and she relays the info to my dad. He throws a fit saying that you can only get garbage for that much. He says to keep it under $1200... I don't want to go over $800. I know my brother could care less about a video card because I bought him a GTX 970 G1 Gaming...
I don't think speed fan works out of the box... really for anyone. For example AFAIK it works with the corsair but I have seen people having to explain how to change the settings around to get it to work. The last time I used it which I think is 10 years ago I believe it was like that even then. I did fiddle around with it about 5 years ago trying to use it to control a BigNG (similar to corsair link) but I couldn't get it to work although I am fairly certain it would...
ASUS has a long long tradition of no longer supporting their motherboards the very second that motherboard is no longer sold retail. Gigabyte is no better but there are vendors who do offers software updates for new operating systems... Anyways... my 990FX fan control from asus suiteii stopped working when 8 came out... I sold it right after that. Getting it to work with 10? LAUGH!!! Anyways... since then I moved on to a Corsair Link external fan controller... it will...