Posts by mritschris

My R4 has 8 drives in front and only the one default fan that came with the case i'm wondering if i should switch it for Quiet edition SP's or QE AF'S in the front. I already have a dual pack of both types of fans. Any help would be appreciated.
Not sure about PWM fans but yes you can mount two 140mm fans in the front.
Thanks ParityBoy, I decided to upgrade my CPU from an i3 2120 to a Xeon E3-1235 so i have put this project off for a couple of weeks. Once i get the funds i will go for hardware raid on windows 2008 r2. I only have one more decision to make and was wondering if anyone could help me. What would be the best option: lsi megaraid 9261-8i (2 Connectors, £432) and buying the HP SAS expander (£210) TOTAL = 642. lsi megaraid 9260-16i (4 Connectors, £590) Keeping in mind that i...
Hi tycoonbob. I think I'm swaying back to Hardware raid and going with an LSI chip, like you said. I was wondering if you knew the difference between the LSI MegaRAID 9261-8i and the LSI MegaRAID 9260-8i. The 9261 comes in at £432.96 here in the UK and the 9260 starts at £452 (there is 4 different versions on the Scan.co.uk website . Do these support 3TB Drives? Also could i just hook up 8 drives and set it up as raid 6 and then in a couple of months buy a SAS expander...
1hour 40mins review
Review by tom.
Would ESX allow me to see the drives on both the Sab/SB/CP VM as well as the storage VM? Because SAB would need to put the files into the storage Drive.I have an i3-2120 with 16GB of ram. Also do you have any experience with Windows Server 2012 in particular Storage Spaces? and if so would you recommend it to someone like me, who wants the drive pooling and redundancy? I'm not quite sure how it would work but i get it as a student and would be up for trying it. This would...
Thanks for you're response. I have the Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 SATA expander (I'm sure this supports 3tb drives?), I could easily just buy another one of those and that would give me 16 Drives, so at that point i might as well go with some sort of software raid? Which OS would you recommend for: Minecraft Server, Media storage, hosting websites (could easily buy hosting from a company and host there) , running programs like sabnzbd, sickbeard, couchpotato, plex etc. I...
I currently run Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise and i have 16TB of unprotected Data, I'm using 8 out of the total 20 drives with the xcase 420. I'm looking to run a raid array and my preferred raid level would be raid 6. Could anyone recommend any good raid cards and would i be better off with two 8port cards or one 16port card? I may also upgrade all my drives from 2tb to 3tb. Thanks
Update: Ended up going for the XFX 7950 DD Black Edition for £260 (Bioshock Infinite, Crysis 3), worked out i ended up getting it for £190 because i sold my old 4870 for £40 and sold the games for £30. I have been using it for the past week and It performs really well and the temps are excellent! Thanks for the help guys.