Posts by broadbandaddict

More updates to come soon. Once my file copy is finished I'll be sleeving and rewiring, hopefully it will be done by Monday! Expect updates for the sleeving, OS setup and some other miscellaneous stuff.
Oh nice! I guess worse case scenario you can just back the clock off to 1866 on the Platinums if the 2500K doesn't like 'em. Congrats on the awesome RAM!
Ah man, that sucks. I really like the look of the Dominator Platinum but it's so expensive. Your sig says you've got 8GB @ 1600 right now, why not just add another stick or two instead of (I assume) replacing it with the Platinum?
I would think so. As long as the 2500K will support it the board will run it. I run this RAM with my 3770K.
I don't need SATA 6, its just going to be mechanical drives for the time being. I've got 6 SSDs installed but they are all hooked up to the motherboard SATA ports which is why the HDDs were on the SAS card. I've been reading a bit today and saw that the LSI SAS9211-8i (~$100) can be flashed to IT mode where the RAID functionality is removed and it allows for up to 256 drives to be connected using an expander. I think I might just go with that for cheapness and use parity...
I'd like to stick to ~$150 per array, less if possible. It's just going in a home file server that will serve up movies and store my pictures/documents. Nothing fancy. I was thinking a storage space would be a nice alternative to an expensive RAID card as I don't need crazy read/write speeds but my current Super Micro card doesn't work right with 2012 R2.
Great, thanks for the info. Do I need a specific port multiplier card? Is the 9260-8i a good card or is there a better one to get? Do I need/want the battery backup if it's going to be hooked up to a UPS?I was planning to run a parity storage space in 2012 but my current card (AOC-SASLP-MV8) has some kind of addressing problems so server only sees it as one drive. Are there any SAS>SATA cards that are better/cheaper that do work with Server 2012 R2? I'm just going to be...
It's a Gigabyte G1.Sniper M5Sorry, it will be 5 3TB drives and 6 4TB drives, not 39 total drives.
I put together a cheap portable file server for a friend. I had most of the parts laying around except the case. Specs: Code: CPU AMD Athlon II X2 620 MOBO Gigabyte Something-or-Other AM3 RAM 2 x 2GB DDR3 1066 BOOT 160GB Western Digital Raptor DATA 3 x 500GB Western Digital Green PSU Dell 460W CASE APEX TX-381-C OS Windows Server 2012 R2 Also got a question, what's the best economical RAID card for home use? I've been eyeing the LSI 9260-8i but I haven't ever...
Just spray paint them, that's what I did.