Posts by ramicio

Has anyone replaced theirs? I bought my RPC-3216 right around the time they made a revision of it, so I got the old one. Each drive caddy lights up green when there is a drive in there, and the activity LED is supposed to be blue. They used a diffused LED and you can't even see it come out the front.
Eh, the battery faulted once it was nearly charged. It must be a bad battery. They were from a pretty old laptop that wouldn't hold a charge for long.
You can even put in a x16 card into a x8, an x4, or an x1 slot and it will still work, as long as the slot has a notch in the back instead of plastic blocking the card from being inserted. You can even tape off the appropriate pins on >x1 cards and put them into their designated slot and it will still work.
My battery has been failed for quite some time, so I recently decided to not be lazy and do something about it. >$100 is way too much money when the problem is literally only the battery pack itself, so I decided to fix it myself using a common 18650 battery from a laptop. Whatever size you use, just make sure it's lithium ion. The Areca battery itself was so swollen that it popped off the clear plastic cover. Start peeling away the outside of the battery. There is a...
I was going to order some PCBs for another project. Is there any interest in me ordering some more Speedball boards?
Cable burn-in?
It doesn't matter. If the data gets corrupted, nothing but noise will play. Picoseconds of jitter along the wire doesn't need to be worried about. Picoseconds of jitter in a DAC's clock doesn't even need to be worried about. The people who design these things to their jobs. If there is an issue with clocks not matching, it would be drift over time, and you would get total corruption of the stream. TOSLINK and any other S/PDIF format isn't just sending the same PCM bits...
How do you not understand that it only takes a single wrong bit to totally corrupt data to the point of being unrecognizable? Engineers have done their jobs, and these interfaces just work fine. If they didn't, once you got a bit error, you would know it, and it wouldn't just result in lower fidelity. I don't know why your type even argues against optical fibers. They can carry more data than a wire because they aren't affected by electrical interference.
A digital signal can either be a 0 or a 1. A series of them makes data. Please don't try to argue minor semantics that are unrelated to the topic at hand. How many times does this need to be spelled out? IF THE TIMING OF 0s AND 1s CHANGES TO THE POINT THAT THEY ARE NO LONGER BEING TRANSMITTED AND RECEIVED PROPERLY, THE DATA BECOMES CORRUPT. AT THAT POINT YOU WILL NOT HAVE ANYTHING COMING OUT OF A DAC THAT RESEMBLES AUDIO. YOU CANNOT DO ANYTHING TO A DIGITAL SIGNAL TO...
For all we know, his TOSLINK interface's drivers could be doing some terrible things such as resampling with a crappy resampler, which would not be the fault of the TOSLINK itself.