Posts by ramicio

Yeah, I'm about done with this crap. I am not downgrading my OS to Win7 just to play music well. That introduces its own line of problems when it comes to watching video on a multi-display setup. Aero causes frames to drop and I can't stand the look of things when Aero is off. I tried JRiver, but I don't care for its interface and it has a crappy replaygain system. Winamp is dead. I don't care for the interface of foobar2000, but it's simple and just does stuff right.
The solution is not a nice one. First off, the command window it creates has to be closed manually. Second, none of the explorer extensions work because of the running under admin thing. That's fine for library music, but sometimes I want to open up something from explorer. If the player is closed the explorer extension works, but the ASIO host is not realtime. If it's open already from a shortcut that has it run as admin, then the extension doesn't work. This just comes...
Interesting solution. Thank you for sharing. I shouldn't have been so crude in my last statement. Indeed the crackling when using ASIO happens under Windows 8 and 8.1. It happens for me on Windows 8, but mainly when I am using the CPU heavily for other things.
Wow. Not paying over $1,000 for a monitor that is new tech and needs to be ironed out is now classified as poor? Your condescending tone towards having little money is disgusting, too.
There is already a current-limiting resistor on the motherboard! Putting a potentiometer between the motherboard and LED isn't going to cause excess current to run to the LED, under ANY condition.
If your motherboard has the appropriate interface I wouldn't bother with adding this card to just run S/PDIF to a receiver.
You only need twice the pixel density that people use for their calculations for aliasing to disappear. Sampling theorem.
ASIO works just fine and is useful to avoid resampling if you have music with more than one sampling rate. Otherwise, you have to go and change the rate of the card. If you have crackling under any driver, you need to learn to be a proper computer user.
Oh, and vinyl is still produced because there was a trendy rejuvenation of it. People think it's cool to own a turntable or anything retro. And guess what? It's sourced digitally.
I think moving parts is the only valid area to spend large amounts of money. The moving parts are the only area where there are shortcomings and hugely affect the sound. Light, strong materials cost tons of money, and I feel the audibility of precision and high-quality materials can not be disputed. I still don't think they are worthy of thousands of dollars, but there is definitely a difference between a $100 speaker and $1000 speaker. A $100 DAC and a $1,000 is all...