Posts by rossb

If it's coming through your headphones it's probably not coil whine. It's probably just a noisy PC, or possibly a ground loop. I would suggest trying an external USB soundcard - the ASUS Sonar U7 or something similar.
Thanks.
I have a number of fans whose speed I want to reduce. Aside from a fan controller, I understand that speed can be reduced through appropriate cables. As I understand it, there are two ways of doing this. The first is to use molex adapter cables which use the 5v rail from the PSU, or which use the 12v and 5v to produce 7v. The other way is to use a cable with an in-line resistor. From what I have read, using a Molex adapter to produce 5v is safe, since it uses an existing...
If you're running them on air you can expect the top card to hit 80 degrees frequently, and fans from both cards will probably ramp up to 60-100% during gameplay, depending on how hot your room is, how good your case airflow is, how big an overclock you can get and what games you play. I had to liquid cool my 780s to be able to tolerate the noise, otherwise I would only have a single card. But I have a hot room, overclocked cards and I'm a silence freak, and you may be...
Get the second 780 in SLI. A single 780 Ti will only be a small improvement, and probably not noticeable. I have two 780s in SLI and it runs incredibly smoothly, no microstutter or problems at all, and a massive improvement over a single 780 in games like BF4. The only issues with SLI are additional noise and heat, so make sure you have good airflow in your case.
I was on the fence about de-lidding, mostly because I am a bit of a klutz. As razor blades scare me, I tried the vice method and whacked the bejeesus out of the cpu 10 or 15 times, but the IHS wouldn't budge. So I was forced to use a razor blade, and it actually turned out to be not that hard. If you start on the right side of the cpu and visualise where the resistors are so that you don't insert the razor blade too deeply on the left side, you shouldn't have a problem. I...
I have a Titan and also game on a 1080p 120hz monitor. I also have another PC with two 780s in SLI, and recently bought (and sold) a 780 Ti to compare with the Titan.It really depends on the game, but assuming BF4 is your benchmark, any version of the 780 Ti will not be a noticeable improvement on your Titan. Assuming your Titan is OCd you will probably be within 5-8 fps difference at most. Either way you are looking at 80-90 fps, which is good, but if you're still going...
The U12S and U14S come with PWM fans. As they replace older models in the product line, I suspect all of Noctua's CPU coolers will become PWM over time.
Agreed, an i5 3570k or 4670k will be more than sufficient, along with a Coolermaster Hyper 212 cpu cooler for $30. You don't really need to spend more for a gaming rig, particularly if money is tight.