Posts by powerhouse

For those interested, I tested Xen 4.4 on a 3.13 kernel running the latest Ubuntu 14.04 beta2 release. Similar kernel/Xen releases should be available through other distributions. Here my observations with regard to VGA passthrough using a AMD / ATI HD 6450 video card: 1. xl toolstack works now: no problems rebooting the domU - no performance loss, no crashes (dom0 or domU) 2. To use VGA passthrough one still needs to select device_model_version =...
This guide by dizzy4 specifically describes how to set up your PC to achieve VGA passthrough. VGA passthrough is a method allowing your (Windows) guest to gain direct access to a dedicated graphics adaptor. This allows you to run a VM with graphics performance that is the same or very very close to having the same operating system (like Windows) run on bare metal (that is directly on the PC hardware, i.e. not as a VM).If you don't need this graphic performance, for...
Thanks! I updated the list.
Thanks for posting your findings!Some of the older Nvidia cards actually support VGA passthrough - nice that you got primary passthrough working. I have a Quadro 2000 and so far was only able to get secondary passthrough working, usingCode:gfx_passthru=0.You may want to try that with your Quadro K2000D.I doubt the Titan Black will work with VGA passthrough, neither primary nor secondary, without some Xen patching. For more information on that see David Techer's blog here:...
Hello Ozieboy, Just yesterday I switched to the xl toolstack myself. In your situation I would give it a try using xl with the standard kernel / Xen for Ubuntu 13.10, which means Xen 4.3. Another thing is that I've seen reports that Windows 8.1 may have issues with xm, so if you are using Windows 8.1 the xl toolstack might solve the issue. You will find an update on xl in my how-to (at step 3) and in my last post in that thread. If you already installed everything it's...
1. Check that /etc/initramfs-tools/modules is not set to read-only. You can also edit the file using your favorite editor, just make sure you are root. To check its content, useCode:cat /etc/initramfs-tools/modules2. First check this:Code:lsmod | grep pcibackThe output should look like:Code:user@mypc ~ $ lsmod | grep pcibackxen_pciback 55503 0To load the pciback module, use:Code:modprobe xen-pciback
I don't think there are stupid questions, but I sure hope I don't post a stupid answer. First of all, I can't really answer the question, as I'm not familiar with Fedora. So here is what I can say on upgrading Linux based on ~17 years Linux experience:1. Make sure you have a full backup of your current installation, in case things go wrong (and they do occasionally)!2. Never touch a running system - if F18/Xen 4.1 works fine and does what you need it to do, I wouldn't...
I'm no overclocker so I'm afraid I can't comment on the 4770 and its (missing?) overclocking capabilities. I just know from various references that the 4930K, 3930K etc. can be overclocked - and they support VT-d.However, the absolutely essential part is VT-d.
For a Ubuntu-based system, you could try my how-to here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=112013. It should work likewise with Linux Mint 16 and Ubuntu 13.10. My how-to uses the "xm" (xend) toolstack, not the newer "xl" toolstack - the reason why I chose xm over xl is explained there.Regarding VM config file: there might be some differences between xl and xm toolstack and their configuration files, but generally speaking you can use the config with any distro.
The CPU won't work !!! See http://ark.intel.com/search/advanced/?s=t&VTD=true for a list of VT-d enabled Intel CPUs.The i7 4770 will be OK, but won't overclock. If you are into overclocking, I recommend going with a 2011 board and a 3930K or 4930K processor. If you choose the latter (4930K), make absolutely sure the motherboard BIOS supports that CPU with VT-d. The Asus Rampage IV Extreme with the latest BIOS does support VT-d when using (not so most other Asus boards !!!...