Posts by toolio20

Hi, I'm going to try and make this concise and to the point: Just recently got hold of a Maingear (MSI GT70 Dragon Edition-based) gaming laptop with a discrete GTX 675M. It simply will NOT. OVER. CLOCK. I've thrown every green team app I can at the thing - Nvidia Inspector, PrecisionX, even the semi-agnostic Afterburner - and while I can successfully bump the memory, the core absolutely refuses to cooperate; GPU-Z reflects the changes I make to the GPU Clock but monitoring...
You're correct. I misspoke. Have a zillion internets - my treat. Oh, if you have the luxury of time, wait for USB 3.1 - it HAS to be better than 3.0, which I've come to despise over the past few years for all of it's fragmented immaturity and general nonchalance (although X99 seems to finally be getting it "right").Continual zaniness from this treasure of a mobo - I still can NOT for the life of me get the damn BIOS to save my preferred boot drive settings (Mushkin...
Because it's the only way to get 16 (hyperthreaded) overclocked cores? That's is why I chose this board. I don't need ECC, and I'm tired of (and pissed off at) slow Zeons and their crazy price points.Got the 5960x up to 4.5GHz stable, and I think that's where it'll stay until I can make it to the hardware store - going to throw some 35mm fans on the LQ 320 so I need some longer fasteners to make that happen.Will give real world confirmation on NVMe when I get my...
Thanks for the replys, guys; I've had a little better luck with the latest BIOS, managed to get 4.2 @ 1.20v stable - but that was with the memory underclocked to 2100. Clock speed is way more important to my workflow than memory so I figured I'd press on, 4.5 is so far unattainable (BSOD during burn testing) but there's more testing to do. Regardless, and I don't know the best way to say it but the whole platform just feels wonky as a mofo. The BIOS doesn't accurately...
137 pages...and the most recent are all about waterblocks. Does anyone have reliable OC settings for this board? It's been a buggy and unstable mess so far...haven't even been able to look at the damn thing for the last month I've been so disgusted by it. However, that's a waste of money, so I've decided to get back on the horse and see if I can get this thing to behave. Latest BIOS is at least recognizing XMP profile now so...I guess that's a step forward? Anyway, as I...
Thanks for the answers, guys - the review was actually listed as being for the SG13B, not the other way around, so I don't know how homeboy could punch his finger "through" a solid piece of plastic? Then again, the review as a whole was weird, so whatever. Again, appreciate the clarification...
Only one review on newegg, and it's rather alarming: "Front is made of CARDBOARD" "Cons: While the description says the front is made of plastic, it is not. It is made of cardboard! If I press on it, my finger will punch right through. The cardboard has a coating and I can easily scratch it with my fingernail. Be warned." Can any owners of the meshed version comment on this? I was assuming based on...well, damn near every modern enclosure in existence, that the mesh...
Any idea how much wattage would constitute "so much?" I'm not being snarky, I'd just really like to understand the limitations a bit more deeply...
If this has been answered conclusively already somewhere else please point me in the right direction or let me know if I should've posted under power supplies. With that said, here's the issue - I've got a 1500W (single-rail) PSU and a quantity of 20 drives to run (16 HDD, 4 SSD). Cable management is a nightmare. How many drives can I chain on a single molex? I know the usual number is four, but is that a hard limitation based on physics and safety or just an arbitrary...
Don't mean to semi-necro this thread but wanted to say thanks to Deafboy and also report, for prosperity, that this is indeed a workable solution - running the 8 pin EPS CPU connector via 2 PCIe cables with no issues (may have been able to get away with just one but I'll let someone more adventurous try that out).