Posts by harner

Hello all, I did a search and didn't find anything too good that fits my needs so thought I'd post here. I've been paying over $100 for too long for cable TV (digital plus DVR). I have had streaming media available to me for years - AppleTV (sold the v2 for a ridiculous amount on ebay and have a v3 with no desire to jailbreak), smart phones, iPad w/retina, two non-smart flat panels in the house, ChromeCast, bluray player with Netflix and other crap built in, Xbox 360,...
Thanks for the input! An SSD is a great idea for the OS. I just upgraded to the GPU a few months ago from a 4870, so that'll be around for awhile. Good info, thanks again.
Hello! I have a PC that I built about 4 years ago. The specs are in my signature. Basically, it's an i7-920 @ 2.66Ghz that was never OC'd. I am running 12GB RAM, a RAID 1 for storage and a single disk for the OS (Windows 8), 660 Ti, and basically I got my money's worth out of this thing. I also host a LAMP server out of the house on a separate box (an old, decrepit Dell from like 2006) which barely breathes. I am contemplating retiring my 920 machine for a new build...
I am willing to spend up to $300 on a new video setup. I don't plan on overclocking, but who knows down the road.Thank you for the input, I will certainly look into those!
Windows 8 probably won't be the primary O/S on this machine. I run several on this machine, some virtual some partitioned. I want to get 8 so that I can do some testing and basically break stuff, try drivers, etc. My theory is if I'm pre-ordering from NewEgg, maybe I can throw the card(s) on the same order and make a mini project out of it lol.I game a little, nothing crazy. My rig is listed in my sig. My CPU is an i7-920, non-OC'd. I am not partial to Nvidia or ATI.
Hello, I haven't been on here in a little while and have been doing some research. I'm looking for a mid range card or cards that will fulfill my needs. My board has 3x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots (16, 16, 4). My current card is a Sapphire 100259-1GL (4870). This card is about 4 years old and has given me nothing but problems over the years. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but it's not uncommon to get a BSOD while playing a game in various Windows O/S (XP, 7, Server...
To the OP - there is a way to fix it. Switch distro's or live with it. BackTrack is a great tool, full of a ton of utilities for security, reporting, pen testing, network analysis, etc. I wouldn't recommend it for your primary OS, especially on a laptop, because it can be a resource hog. As tha d0ctor said, you can try disabling some of the services not in use. But, that probably won't be a huge increase in battery life.
I use Acronis TrueHome. It's not free, but I have used it so much that the $50 was worth it. I'm still running the 2010 edition. It has some great and easy-to-use utilities. Clonezilla is another alternative. I have not used it in ages, but it should do what you are looking to do. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clonezilla
I am doing this at home and temporarily running the server on a Linux platform (openSuse 12.1 x64) via VMware Player. In the works to set up a dedicated box just to host my lightweight LAMP server. The LAMP server hosts a basic WordPress install. I did this to save money. I was paying 1and1.com to host and renew my domain. I decided to cancel my cable subscription, upgrade to a business account with my ISP (while cutting speeds), and host my own server. Most of the...
Logrotate is also a thing of beauty! lol