Posts by NihilOC

Why is that ironic? The API let's developers disable content based on whether it's turned on or not, e.g. no multiplayer if you disable anti-cheat.That's fairly standard.
I have no faith in Microsoft when it comes to marketing, stuff like GFWL and the Windows Store in general are complete abominations.That said, when it comes to backend stuff Microsoft are extremely competent.This can't be used outside UWP however, which is a pity because I suspect it would be a hell of a lot better than punkbuster and VAC is limited to Steam games.Having a competent third-party company providing anti-cheat would be positive in my eyes, if MS were willing...
Well the first 5 of a card number are the bin code, and the last one is a check digit, so technically it's the same length (assuming the card number is 16 digits, some types vary).What I don't understand is why in America you don't just require sight of a photo id for credit applications, significantly harder to fake and a passport number can be revoked and reissued if compromised.
Adding a registry setting, fiddling with settings via the GUI or downloading one of the many tools designed to disable telemetry that does it all for you (with one button press I might add) is not "hacker".And I've had to tinker with pretty much every version of Windows to disable or change various annoying crap, with the worst being Metro in Windows 8 that actually required third party apps to bring back the start menu.However you may feel about Windows 10 it's a decent...
There's also a 0.0001% chance of me being struck by lightning but I don't wander around in wellington boots.The chance of there being a bug (or bugs) like that that can't be reproduced is extremely small, not to mention the low chance of such a specific bug occurring regardless.I mean you'd need Windows Update to delete very specific registry entries, that it has no reason to even amend. I find it unlikely any updates would even have the code required to do this, let alone...
*Obviously intrusive anonymised telemetry that can be disabled, with unsubstantiated and irreplicable reports of updates restoring default telemetry group policy settings.Doesn't sound quite so doom-and-gloom when you put it like that, does it?I have auto-updates enabled, just checked and telemetry is still disabled btw.The justifications would be interface improvements, DX12, improved boot times and power management (for laptops).The interface improvements I understand is...
Could you link me to one of the updates you are concerned about?
I don't think MS are really going to do anything particularly interesting with the data they collect, that said I still disable telemetry.Just like every competent user on this site is capable of doing.It's basically a free OS, and not a half bad one, paid for with the data of less tech-adept people. What's not to like?
Because it's terrible writing, just look at this:"Though this is new news, the fact that Microsoft might eventually join the fight against piracy is not old news."I can't believe some clickbait rubbish like this has gone on to generate a 10 page thread on OCN, my 5 year old nephew could write a better article.Not to mention that half the posts are people jumping on the bandwagon with "boo hoo Microsoft are evil, I'm gonna install linux" and similar rubbish because they...
It's not often you hear of exercise exacerbating obesity If someone has an underlying medical condition that prevents proper exercise you'd hope that it would have been identified, especially if it's caused significant weight gain.That said, I doubt facebook is helping people advertise gym memberships.Gym memberships are usually local, and most facebook advertisers (at least in the UK) seem to be national or international companies. That means it's more likely they'll be...