Posts by NihilOC

So, you've backtracked a tad then?As I've already stated the PS4 low level api is called Gnm, both the PS4 and XB1 can use a modified version of D3D for high level. Or at least this was true at one stage, and I've heard nothing to the contrary since.There is no equivalent of PSGL for PS4, even if PSGL was OpenGL, which it isn't. Nor are there any OpenGL wrappers that I'm aware of, since PS3's OpenGL wrapper was a massive failure I doubt there will be.If you really want to...
Read Bobvodka's post a few posts down, sorry I thought the post number was specified in the URL. Apparently it just links to the top of the thread (Bob is a pretty well known and respected developer, I'll quote his opinion of OpenGL below)Your argument appears to be that Linux will gain from OpenGL increasing in popularity, and OpenGL will increase in popularity because it enables Linux support.The fact that neither are currently very widely used, and that this logic is a...
Popularity does, however, have a lot to do with whether or not something is "the future" And, for what it's worth, PSGL isn't OpenGL. it's actually, somewhat ironically, based on Cg which was developed by MS and NV. PSGL isn't used very much either, most people use GCM.As for the PS4, AFAIK it supports a modified version of D3D and it has a custom API for low level.PS4 doesn't support Direct X? And it uses Open GL instead? Interesting.Please, tell me more about how you...
I guess it depends on how popular "cross platform games" end up being, and by cross platform I mean desktop and tablet/phone. Because, let's be entirely honest, I can't see Linux or Mac taking over gaming on the desktop any time soon.The only other platforms that leaves is consoles, which AFAIK both use direct x for the most part this generation (with PS3 using a modified version of OpenGL last gen?).Whilst Valve are pushing for Linux support, I don't think they'd be...
I wouldn't call Dota 2 "AAA", no. In that it's a free to play with mediocre graphics, and whilst it is a good game (actually the one I play the most) it isn't a blockbuster release title.I was also intentionally not including Valve games, as the reasons for them using or supporting OpenGL is specifically to do with their steam machine product strategy and not performance related. They have intentionally in the past released some somewhat suspect performance evaluations to...
Tbf "OpenGL is the future" flies in the face of all available evidence.I cannot name a single "AAA" game released in the last few years that used OpenGL over DX, in fact I can't even think of any mid-level games. Don't get me wrong, it's probably got a lot of stuff going for it, but it doesn't seem that any developers care enough to add support for it.
This just in; using procedurally generated environments and not including textures lets you make smaller tech demos. I'm not quite sure what is revolutionary, or particularly useful, about this.
So... How about an accompanying apology for lying to their customers regarding processing done in the cloud? Can't wait until some comparisons of CPU usage come out.
I've seen product placement in games before, but not outright ads. Unless you count depictions of IRL ads in-game, which isn't too bad IMHO.I'm yet to know of a paid-for "AAA" game that has stuck ads in the loading screen after release though. Pretty cheap shot by EA, if they arent there anymore I guess they backtracked.
+1The "you don't complain about ads in x" argument is pretty weak, people have been complaining about cheap and classless product placements in films and television for years. Even then it's still not something they do post-release.You don't make a film, wait for reviews, then edit the film to promote a specific product.