Posts by NihilOC

I very much doubt those prices reflect actual server costs, this is approaching the cost of renting an entry level dedicated server.
Yeah I have Razer mouse and an Orbweaver and they're alright, a little expensive but the product itself is fine and of decent quality.
Or conversely that NV are better at optimising their DX11 drivers than developers are at optimising their DX12 games.I'd say it's fair to say that historically NV have maintained their lead in large part due to their drivers, but with DX12 that advantage is completely nullified.
Given that those videos autoplay a lot of the time their original method seems reasonable.
I think the distinction is that physically accessing most people's computers wouldn't benefit a potential thief very much, if at all.In fact the cost and time spent trying to access the data is probably worth less than the data you could retrieve from the average persons computer.Malware and it's ilk are profitable precisely because they work in bulk, as individual computers are very low value targets. Physically accessing the machines makes it high cost low reward.
We can make assumptions about the planet, such as this one likely being tidally locked to it's star, however currently we do not know if it has an atmosphere.If we do manage to obtain information about it's atmosphere we can make pretty accurate assumptions about surface temperatures, and another important point will be how active Proxima Centauri was in the past. There is a chance this planet spent much of it's early life being bombarded with radiation by it's star.
Not all monopolies are illegal, although some are, but illegal isn't really the correct term anyway. They are simply undesirable, which is why competition laws are designed to prevent them from forming in the first place.In cases where they form naturally steps are usually taken to either heavily regulate the monopolised industry to prevent abuse, convert it to a public service or break up the company.That's interesting, although I doubt how they define individual markets...
Microsoft don't have a monopoly, just as Intel don't currently have a monopoly in their data centre products. Microsoft have Linux, Mac and Chrome OS and Intel have Qualcomm, IBM and even NV are competing in that segment now (NV may not make CPUs but every Tesla they sell equates to lost sales for Intel).Technically I guess AMD still sell server chips as well, but meh.Anyway MS/Intel have near complete market share, but there are still companies trying to compete with them...
Currently Intel have an effective monopoly, but due to AMD technically competing with them no one has really done anything about it.Remove AMD and Intel becomes a true monopoly, at which point various regulatory bodies would likely either split Intel up or call for some kind of reform to lower the cost of entry to potential competitors.It is, rather counterintuitively, in Intel's best interests for AMD to continue operating. Possibly not in consumers best interests though.
To be fair some of us want them to fail for equally impersonal reasons, personally I'm torn on the issue but I think if they finally died it might be good for the industry in the long run.The current pseudo-monopoly of Intel is a complete farce and needs to come to an end, but I don't think anyone will do anything about it until AMD finally gives up the ghost.