Posts by NihilOC

Homicides are just recorded in the homicide index by the ONS (I think that's what they call it, a quick Google will tell you). Mortality rate stats and whatnot aren't impacted Not that 500 deaths per year would have much impact anyway
The people writing it are highly educated, and they had it printed in a law journal for a reason.The choice of a Harvard journal was intentional, to add credibility despite the lack of peer review. It's a common tactic, neither authors are even tangentially related to Harvard and their employers essentially churn out pseudo-scientific papers used by lobby groups to sway politicians.It's a deceptive tactic, but it's responsible for some of the most amazing FUD campaigns...
At this stage I'm outright confused as to whether or not you just don't understand, or don't want to understand. England has a low crime rate. Harold Shipman killed a lot of people. The authors didn't account for that.As you said, it's a rather amateur oversight and not pointing it out is almost as obscene as "accidentally" moving a decimal point in a key data table. And this is only ~4 pages in to that paper!In case you just outright don't want to believe that is how ONS...
I was trying to prompt someone to say "of course they would, they'd just take a cut of the in-app purchases".Apparently it took a tad more goading to get anyone to admit that Valve don't run some kind of free service for consumers.
Well, obviously.So your view is simply that MS cannot develop exclusives?
I'm aware that there are free to play games on Steam, my point is that Valve wouldn't take it without some kind of share in the profits.That would inevitably mean they'd need to measure in-app purchases on the steam and normal versions differently... and require separate payment methods since one client is paying via Steam, and one directly to MS.It's just... what benefit exactly would that provide?It seems like a bit of a fuss over nothing. MS have basically cut the crap...
I wasn't comparing them, I just added them for context since the authors stated the UK was some horrid den of villainy.I actually highlighted that there are major issues with making such a comparison:Yeah, I get it, you copied that essentially verbatim without verification from Google.It's not actually how it works, these are the stats for the UK:http://www.citizensreportuk.org/reports/murders-fatal-violence-uk.htmlThat's a nice fancy website, but the data itself is pulled...
Try rereading my post.
Cool story bro.On a serious note though, would Steam even take a free to play game with in-app purchases?How would that work, would MS need to integrate purchases into the Steam overlay? Would they need a Steam and a non-Steam client? Would prices be made higher on one version to account for reduced/increased third party costs?It seems people are getting their panties in a bunch, as usual, without actually thinking what the realistic alternatives would be. Or the...