Posts by NihilOC

I don't think you can blame people for being skeptical.I doubt this game will be as buggy as BF4 on release, but then this is EA so who knows? They are not well known for learning from past mistakes.
Sure they messed up on the Wii U, but didn't the Wii make an insane amount of money?
I think, somehow, I'd be able to live with myself as a millionaire playboy
Well that would explain why they call the technology "improbable"
This, it sounds like a standard P2P server setup with a few twists to add persistence.That said, they say there's no artificial limits on the number of players in an area. There should be unless it's doing something quite clever, so either this is something new or they're exaggerating. I'll take it with an ocean of salt for now.I still hate the idea of P2P games servers either way, I'd prefer to pay a subscription than suffer through horrendously low player limits, dodgy...
I don't think that is their intent. They are out of touch, but not that out of touch, Windows is not a closed platform and even if they wanted to introduce a subscription fee for games released on Windows via Live developers would avoid it due to the obvious negative impact on sales.It works on consoles solely because developers aren't given a choice, I suspect what they are planning is more likely to be an extension of the Windows app store dedicated to games. Like Steam...
I think the main point is that it added nothing of value: nor will this new iteration.Even steam lacks any real value, it's just DRM that doesn't suck. Microsoft, these days, is not well known for creating software that doesn't suck (in terms of UI at least).
So... back to the days of having a useless windows live overlay in our games then?Well done Microsoft, you really know your market.
Some people (see the poster below) are claiming that, and I cannot help but feel that this was the purpose of Mantle. To make it appear to the majority of gamers that mantle was the innovation that brought about DX12 and Vulkan, rather than work by industry developers, MS, games developers etc.As for competition, it's a bit tricky with DX12 because Microsoft don't directly profit from it. They need a good graphics API for Windows, true, but I think if they could get away...
This.Free Sync and Mantle are just examples of AMD's extremely good PR department, they didn't force Microsoft's hand in the creation of DX12 as some people seem to suggest in here and they aren't responsible for free sync.AMD knew of DX 12's development, because they were involved, and they used Mantle as a PR tool to grab credit for it. Now they're ditching it, because it isn't viable long term.You realise MS have been continuously developing D3D since the mid 90s,...