Posts by NihilOC

If you are that concerned about unjust laws, I'd suggest directing your energy against video games being sold as a license.This a much more harmful concept than any perceived dangers of over-extending copyright, and it has direct and real implications that are already effecting end users. Companies like EA abuse the hell out licensing to avoid refunding clients, facing issues over release quality, stop re-sales and they even use it to prevent the use of games in...
Ok, let me spell this out for you:1) The hack itself (presumably) doesn't contain Blizzard source code.2) The hack producers are selling mods for a copyrighted product which explicitly bans certain types of modification, their product builds on the copyrighted client and requires it to run. It is not a standalone product, and is useless without Blizzard's copyrighted work.3) Ergo, they are profiting from the copyrighted works of Blizzard. In a way explicitly banned by...
I didn't mean they are literally using Blizzard's code, I meant they are using Blizzard's product as a base for their own.This is not the same, Zenimax's claim involves Carmack's contributions to the company and use of his time whilst under contract to help Zenimax. Not to mention a shedload of other aspects completely unrelated and incomparable.You misunderstood me.And it really does, quite literrally, use copy protected materials. It doesn't run or function, and in point...
I'd also like to add that you have no rights as a potential mod maker.If Blizzard ask you to stop making your mod, there is nothing protecting your rights to continue releasing it. They are quite within their rights to ban modding outright, and insofar as they have allowed it the terms under which they've allowed it are very clearly spelled out and equally clearly breached here.Having said that Blizzard probably wouldn't haven't much luck targeting your average mod maker...
Copyright infringement does not just cover them utilizing their code, and that is not the legal basis for this case.Have you even read the complaint?It extols, at some serious length, the fact that the case is built primarily on them breaching the ToS, and that the ToS included anti-cheating provisions. It uses the DMCA circumvention provisions, and the copyright issues again would be null and void if the modifications were authorised. Which they weren't, because they...
Blizzard allow the creation of StarCraft maps:http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/legal-faq.htmlWhat they don't allow is described above. Even in 2011, when you claim they weren't making money, they were still breaching the ToS.
I think the key is in the part you decided not to bold: "unauthorized".Add-ons are supported and explicitly given permission for on their site, in their ToS and on a functional level the game is designed to support them.This IS copyright infringement, they are MAKING MONEY from someone else's intellectual property despite this being EXPLICITLY BANNED in the ToS.The line is drawn in exactly the same place it was before, mod away but don't enable functionality specifically...
But they don't do the same thing... One specifically breaches the ToS which state users will not "use cheats, automation software (bots), hacks, mods or any other unauthorized third-party software designed to modify the World of Warcraft experience;".It also states you cannot "exploit the Game or any of its parts, including without limitation the Service, for any commercial purpose,".Gold mining breaches both of these points, ad-revenue for legitimate add-ons however is...
I think you're getting add-ons mixed up with modifications. Modifying the game client breaches the ToS, and in no way shape or form could you argue you've been given authority to charge money for selling such a modification for profit.Add-ons however I believe are explicitly allowed, and encouraged by developer support (IIRC in WoW they even have an "addon" folder and some kind of API?). This is significantly different to client modifications designed to help users...
It probably isn't to be fair, farming gold with bots takes a fair bit of work when you take into account the insanely long lengths they have to go to reduce detection. Not to mention the number of clients that need to be left farming with some kind of management almost constantly for it to be profitable.A popular hack for a massively popular game though? $60 subscriptions, and once the coding is done will just need minor tweaks moving forward to avoid detection/fix bugs...