Posts by PandaSPUR

So TLER has no benefit for software RAID setups? As in, theres no possible way for a software RAID setup to even support it?I always thought of Synology as a hardware RAID setup since it is its own separate piece of hardware... hmmmmI'll see if I can do more research about this, Synology specific research.The longer life is definitely a plus to me since my Synology is on 24/7 and the drives are fairly active throughout the day.The $30 extra isnt much each drive, but adds...
I do indeed use a Synology NAS in SHR mode. I was not aware that software RAID vs hardware RAID would make a difference in terms of taking advantage of these NAS specific drives. Do you have any more info on this?I would imagine that software vs hardware RAID makes no difference to the drive..
Good idea, I was just going to order and test it myself anyway, but asking them first can only help.Yepp, looking for the NAS specific drives. Seagate's alternative to the WD Red drives basically.
Wait where do you see new ones for $10 more? The used ones I see are $129 and new is $170. My thinking was, I've never had to send a HDD in for warranty before (unless it was DOA), and if its used then at least its not DOA.
I'm looking to get more Seagate NAS 4TB drives for my Synology at home and I noticed Amazon Warehouse had a ton of "Used - Very Good" drives for $130 each. Anyone have experience buying used HDDs from Amazon Warehouse? I've bought plenty of other things from there before with surprisingly good results. Just wanted to ask about specific experiences. I've already searched and found useful tips like using HDTune to scan/test the drive, etc.
Yea I thought of that too, but ultimately I decided to replace it because:That thing was getting old in general.It wasnt fully modular, which makes any future cable resleeving projects annoying. And it left extra dangling cables in my case.I've seen PSU fans in the past that had odd wiring and required some thought + soldering to replace, rather than just plugging in a standard fan connector. I didn't really want to mess with this.Combine the age with the fact that I...
Quick tip for silencing your rig. Search ebay for "sound deadener" There'll be plenty of results for automotive sound deandening sheets. Its shiny on one side and black w/ adhesive on the other side. These things are meant to stop car panels from making a ton of vibration noise. A 1'x1' sample sheet costs like 5 bucks. These sheets are also really thin, which was a requirement for me. I grabbed one from GTMat on Ebay and I attached it to the sides of my dual bay...
You shouldn't need to disassemble it entirely, that would just expose some electronics which probably have nothing to do with your crazy vibrations (I would be scared if my pump vibrated enough for me to feel it on my desk...) What you want to pull out is the impeller. Thats the bit that spins and moves the water, its held in by magnetism (which is also what spins it). Here's what the D5 impeller looks...
So I've been on a long break from OCN and computer hardware in general because I've been busy. Still pretty busy actually, but I don't want to get too out of touch with whats going on. I asked this question in my build log but I figured this forum would be a good place to ask as well. My 7970 has been sitting in my watercooled rig, running on air. I kept putting it off and now it is a full year later, the R290 has been around for a bit, and my 7970 is still sitting in...
Quick bump, I have indeed been quite distracted by my dog lol. I'll post pictures of him if people want to see. Anyway, I recently grabbed a EVGA 1300 G2. My OCZ PSU's fan died like... months ago. It didnt bother me much since I haven't had time to play intense games and thats about the only times it got warm enough to trigger the failsafe shutoff. Would have replaced it much sooner but EVGA was out of stock for a while and I had $70 EVGA bucks to spend (so I didnt...