Posts by olebakk

I've had 18 drives (17x 3,5 + 1x 2,5) in a PC-A71FB. I now have 2 servers as it got a bit crowded. I will update with pictures as soon as my modding efforts progress. You should benefit swapping out your SATA power cables with custom ones (like my previous post) and perhaps going with a SAS controller and SFF-8087 cables...
First real attempt at some custom cables (120cm!). Not the best handywork, but they are for one of my servers so looks isn't primary concern. I have 12 of them planned so I guess it will get better in time...
To be honest - if you want short cable, I'd just move one of the existing contacts on a original Corsair cable or reshrink the end. Since I need 120 cm (4 ft) cables that wasn't an option for me.
In Europe this cable isn't that easy to source in retail chains - I guess it's used for more stuff in the US... I found the European style cable I mentioned online in Norway for $75 including shipping (for 330ft) so not to bad. If that doesn't work, I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy from some name brand american company.
I've started a project to clean up the power-cable mess in my servers. In doing that I've stumbled upon a few setbacks - one is cables... Look at this: Above is ModDIY 1007 18 AWG cable, below the Corsair default 18 AWG cable. The ModDIY cable is so thin that it doesn't make proper contact with the SATA power push-down connectors, and cannot withstand a pull test without stripping the wire. It has way more than 16 strands (unlike what it says on the ModDIY product...