Posts by Martinm210

Yeah if you read up on Laing you'll find that the D5 is a pretty broad pump motor which can be made to order in PWM, vario, basic (stuck at setting 4 like the swiftech basic) or the strong. I don't understand the details of the electronics but I do know they all come from the same manufacturer. Also if you read Koolances RMA policy, they do explicitly say they don't cover damage cause by using alternative tops. EK tops are very good and of high quality and performance...
In my experience, you should NOT run an aftermarket pump top on the strong model. I have seen a few examples of where the non Laing OEM top has done BAD things on the strong. In particular, the volute designs in some tops can change bearing contact forces and allow the impeller to lift up off the bearing and vibrate. The Laing D5 bearing system relys on magnetic forces to keep the bearing in contact with the impeller and the Strong model simply pushes those limits a bit...
Go to crafting store and buy some long tubing brishes to scrub out the inside of tubes and fittings. For the block use a heavy does of ketchup on the copper and scrub with a toothbrush then heavy rinse. For rads you could faucet flush both directions if you buy a facet tubing fitting but really rads don't generally trap/filter materials like you CPU block does so it's not likely you have anything to clean in there. There will usually be some light corrosion throughout...
Haven't tried the PWM flavor but it doesn't sound promising. I have tried both the 18w Toshiba and the 10w Sanyo based boards and would recommend the Sanyo option: http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/ddc-pump/12-laing-ddc-water-pump-10w-repair-pcb-wled-mcp350.html It has a nice smooth sound similar to the Laing 3 series controllers perhaps better. The Toshiba while being more powerful was more like an old DDC1 controller and a bit buzzy in comparison. The Sanyo gets my vote.
More importantly, why complain about not having an AIO that is tailored to your very soecific needs. If you want ultra silence in water cooling pick up a D5 vario of any brand a quad rad and dial that sucker down or set the fans up on PWM. It's not hard and really no 240 rad is going to perform really well at ultra slow speeds. IMHO, A D5 at setting 2 is about as quiet as it gets in pumps and will last a lifetime. Same goes for a quad rad running 600-800rpm fans. A...
Need to throw a real world system pressure drop curve on the two pump curves for a good apples to apples look. 4 GPM on most watercooling loops is not attainable even with something as substantial as an Iwaki RD30. A bit speculative without actually comparing charts, but I generally focus on the 1GPM to 2GPM region of the curves as the key area to look at. I would even say that's high and 1-1.5GPM is the more realistic region for most loops. The D5 vario at 1.5GPM is...
Look at the PQ curve, at 11' max pressure it's not going to perform in a restrictive PC loop any better than a single D5 hydraulically and when you add in the extra 30w of heat dump it may very likely be a step backwards over a 12v D5. Looks like it's much more of a high flow/low pressure focused pump for stuff like hot tubs/etc. Our loops are generally pretty high in restriction so a more high pressure low volume pump tuning is preferred. Probably would "work" just not...
Great job! I was curious how those new nemesis rads performed. I expected improvements over the old generation but that is even better. I also kind of expected the monsta to be a hig speed focused rad and it is. My only review suggestion is the air flow line colors are hard to differentiate. Thermal results were easy to follow though and all that really matters. Thanks for sharing!! Martin
I think it's pretty fail safe to go with either D5 or DDC (Laing) variants. I have no personal experience with ACs D5 but I have used and tested one of their Eheim based aquastream XT pumps (It's good geek fun tinker capable). If you value control and tinkering settings highly, you'll probably like that.A D5 however is pretty darn silent when decoupled anyhow though so most users are pretty happy with the manual vario speed control. I've been happy leaving them at full...
For the preimum price, I was a little dissapointed in the AMS performance level. The round tube design just isn't quite as optimized as it's flat tube folded fin solder construction counterparts. It definately has the cool factor and Aquas unmatched build quality and a guaranteed clean as a whistle interior (no solder flux) but performance at least on my test bench was not as good as I had hoped particularly with stronger fans. Did Average to above average at extremely...