Posts by Martinm210

You be the judge. Adjust each video so the air flow through the radiator is about the same (blue meter) , now switch back and forth and listen. ignore the sound level meter and just use your ears for a more custom user weighting sound comparison. https://youtu.be/4thL33rPlfY http://youtu.be/cwT0mfr-YhY And no you can not trust either static pressure nor unrestricted air flow CFM box specs. Only a full pressure vs flow rate curve can estimate actual air flow in a...
My meter was lacking a bit as well. You can see the curve at the bottom of the results. Around 33dbA or 700-900rpm the meter starts having trouble:
Wierd how yours seems a bit lower db restricted. Mine did seem to dial down to 30dbA in the dead of night when everything was super silent. I intially wanted something that could read down below 30dbA but the meter I had seemed to get by. Alternatively you could also use the wave file from the zoom and software to measure pressure with some calibrating, I just liked having the visual representation showing in the videos while they ran. I have an old radioshack sound...
In addition to the aluminum issue, the H100i rad is also extremely restrictive for a radiator. It's designed to operate at very low flow rates and not really a good mix for DIY parts. Here is an old test I ran: It's about 4-8x more restrictive than typical DIY rads. Anyhow, sounds like you are not planning to use it which is good, just wanted to share this little bit of old info.
Sorry to hear Swiftech has been ignoring your requests. You guys are doing some top notch scientific benchmarking here and missing out on it will be a bummer for them. I think the MCR320XP rads don't get enough recognition for how well they do under high speeds. I was pretty shocked to see how well it did at 2200rpm with junk fans and can only imagine it would continue to do well with push/pull GT powers. Oh well, you guys have a huge list going now and probably ready...
Any plans for adding the Swiftech MCR320 QP and XP models to your list? I know Swiftech has generally been very willing to provide samples when there is quality testing. I'd like see how the XP stacks up for you guys, it did really well for me at higher speeds and I was only using the crappy titan fans in push. With GTs in push/pull I'd be really curious how it does. Being the value focused type, I think at least the XP would be a worthy addition. My first water set up...
D4s were before my time when I started 8 years ago. Regardless even with the D5s the pump tops have rather minor and sometimes worse performance over he factory D5 pump tops. There is an elbow on the pump outlet but it has fairly minor losses, and the pump inlet is a nicely centered staight shot into the impeller. I guess I would be more worried about MTBF and if you should just replace it with a modern D5. There are plenty of bay reservoir options although you should...
Glad you got it sorted. If I learned one thing in all my testing to pass along, it would be to take your time and enjoy. Do not let anyone turn the hobby and fun into work including yourself! Enjoy and please take your time. Also +2 on the great resources in these forums! I learned what little I do know about electronics from mostly hobby and buying one of those electronics learning labs and build small circuits, wiring stereos, rewiring engines, home remodeling etc. It...
I think this explains it, you need a constant 12v fee to the RPM yellow through the resistor. I think I used the power supply for feeding 12v and then used a fan controller to adjust voltage at the fan. At least I did most of the time I think which helps avoid getting that switching noise. Or I might have used a little 12v ac/dc power adapter to feed 12v to the RPM. I can't recall anymore but I think it's really important to keep it fed 12v and also to measure rpm...
FYI, Bing gave me the resistor info from this old thread: http://www.overclock.net/t/867504/diy-bings-pwm-fan-controller/30 Reading that old thread again, he said it has to be above 1K but less than 10K, but why is beyond my understanding. I just know it worked most of the time but not always. I did have a fan or two with erroneous results or no reading. Also I noticed if the fan is connected to a motherboard as he notes there was not need for the resistor. For a...