Posts by ericeod

Just a little info to pass along from my experience: I recently built a system using an eVGA x58 FTW3 (eVGA claims board supports Xeons) and a more obscure OEM (for HP) X5679. It seems I am extremely limited on what I can tweak. I am running the latest bios (83), but cant adjust the multi, the uncore or memory divider. I can disable/enable the turbo, can adjust voltages and can adjust the base clock.
If a majority of the pin is still in place, try bending the pin so that it can still make contact. Ive seen some people have success. https://youtu.be/HsgodSeRdWA
I thought this info would be helpful for those curious about the even multi (and really down to the x20 multi which always seemed to create OC problems for the infamous i7 920)Odd vs Even multipliers... must read:Xtreme Systems "Core i7/X58 Overclocking Thread - post #876" post by dejanh, 12 December 2008A snippet from the post
Everything you are describing sounds like a RAM issue to me. I just picked up a used 2600K/Z68 with 4x4Gb. I went to install the OS and had the DVD drive disappear, windows 7 hang during updates, failed boots, and BSODs. As soon as I ran Memtest, boom... errors started scrolling. Check every stick individually with memtest (boot off of a disk, not the windows program) and see which stick/s are bad.
The UD3P was one of the best OCing boards in terms of quad core FSB overclocking (and dual core). I would highly recommend that board considering the fact you are getting this board as a fun project. The P5Q is no slouch either... but the UD3P is just a little bit better. I did some builds with DS3R boards and I didnt see the high FSB clocks with quads like I did the the UD3P.
Welcome to a great community of professional, knowledgeable and like-minded people. You will definetly learn a lot from your fellow OCNers. We all learn from each other!
Do you have the water block too tight? I've seen people over tighten their blocks resulting in intermittent boot issues. Here is an example: Tight Water Block Screws = No Boot?
I'm in the process of getting my x58/Xeon rig up and running. I plan to use it to run multiple virtual machines to practice with/learn about servers. Ive got the HP OEM X5679, eVGA X58 FTW3 (officially supports the Xeons) and an H100 to cool it. I sold my 2011 setup at the end of last year and miss having a 6-core setup...
When you get to the install screen, try running Diskpart and see if it lists the disk:Hit [shift + F10]Type "Diskpart"type "List Disk"If it shows the hdd (usually shows as disk 0), you should be able to format it with diskpart and install the OS.Follow this guide to complete the process: Booting and partitioning of Windows 7 without the System Reserve Partition
Faullty ram can cause your system to become flaky. The first thing I would do is isolate for potential hardware problems. Disconnect SSD/HDDs and pull all but one memory module. Run memtest with that one stick. If that stick tests good, reset the bios to default and reflash and clear cmos. After that I would continue to runemtest with each stick to verify they are all good. Then start testing each individual memory slot to see if each slot is good (again running...