Posts by ericeod

tFRC became important for me when I was trying to OC Yorkdale (Q9650) CPUs on the X38... I stumbled on this article when OCing my R3E a few years later. I won't lie, it is a lot to take in. The article explains everything related to memory timings:AnandTechEverything You Always Wanted to Know About SDRAM (Memory): But Were Afraid to AskBy Rajinder Gill, August 15, 2010
Welcome to the community! What about our OCN community made you want to be a vendor rep?
24/7 means you've found a stable overclock at a safe vcore setting. 99% of us shoot for 24/7. The 1% will push dangerous vcore voltage for a few hours stable run of high overclocks to benchmark (trying to get high scores on benchmark programs). But the voltage would damage the CPU over the long term. You definitely want a 24/7 overclock that is safe for the CPU's lifespan, and stable enough to not crash when gaming, doing school work, etc.
VID is not the actual voltage you are running, it is a pre-programmed parameter built into the chip. It used to be reported at a constant, and was an indication of stock voltage at default clock speeds (no 2 CPUs are alike). For example, the VID stated by intel for a CPU can be 1.125v to 1.35v. This means the specific CPU can have a default voltage anywhere in that range. You and I could have the same CPU, but mine might run at default of 1.125v while yours might run...
I use CPU-Z to monitor my vcore on my 2600K. And 4.8GHz with 1.352v is possible with a 2500k (no HT to compensate for). I'm running 4.7Ghz with 1.352v vcore while pushing 4x8Gb at 1866. I guess as long as you stress test and pass, you are good. I do 12hrs Prime95 and Intel Burn test to make sure. OP, I see you have EIST enabled, but C1E disabled. C1E being disabled would keep your vcore at a constant. But EIST being enabled will allow the CPU to drop in speed. . If...
It all depends on how you look at it. Do you want 3 modules at 12gb accessed at the same time, then jump to a single module for the last 4gb when it is needed? Or do you want 2 modules at 8gb to be accessed at the same time, then jump to the second 2 modules of 8gb to be accessed (typical dual channel)? I think your config is great if you are typically accessing 12gb or less on a regular basis. But if you are running memory intensive applications that maxes out your ram,...
Yes, intel dis some interesting stuff with how the ram is configured depending on how it is installed. I can only assume it is operating in tri-channel with the 3 modules (slots A1-B1-C1), then switching asynchronously to the 4th dimm in slot A2. So the system should operate at tri-channel up to 12gb utilization. But as soon as the system needs to utilize that 4th dimm capacity, like 12.1Gb to 16Gb, it will not be accessing the remaining capacity in tri-channel mode. I...
The x58 can run dual channel just fine. When running 4 modules, just run the modules in their respective dimm slots. You can run 2x8gb as dual channel too.The Truth about i7 (1366) memory, both dual channel vs tri channel
I did a lot of research when I was getting my eVGA x58 FTW3. What I remember is that a rev 1.2 of your board will work, but not 1.0 or 1.1. You can send it into eVGA and they will mod it fore $50, or you can try it yourself. here are some links for some additional info:132-BL-E758-A1 Rev 1.0 Westmere ModMaxing out my e758... 980x, w3680, X5680EVGA E758 Westmere Modpost #1332 of 5825 of Xeon X5660-X58 Review & DiscussionEVGA X58 760 Westmere mod
You should have no problems doing this. I was able to access pictures and videos from a Win 7 install and from a Ubuntu install (had each OS installed on a separate HDD, so I just selected boot drive at startup). As long as the 3rd drive has a partition that both OSes can read and write to, you should be able to access the drive from both OS installs.