Posts by sofakng

Has anybody created a dedicated Windows-based gaming console/machine? I'm aware of SteamOS which runs Linux (Debian) but it's limited in the number of games you can play so I'd like to focus on Windows (10). Does anybody have any tips for doing this? It looks like Windows 10 Enterprise has custom shell launchers (kiosk mode) so you can auto-login to a specific user account and then automatically launch Steam and lock it to that application, etc. There is also...
Is it possible to buy that module or does anybody know a part or model number?I'm receiving a Maximus IX Hero and I'd love to find a compatible M.2 Wifi module...
Thanks for the information everybody. What would you recommend for a fan controller? I've heard good things about the aquaero series but it doesn't seem to be updated any longer? Basically I want to monitor the CPU (and possibly GPU) temperature, and then adjust the fans accordingly while also implementing spin-up delay and fan hysteresis.
I'm currently using an Intel 6700K with an ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming. It supports ASUS Fan Xpert3 which is OK but it doesn't support fan hysterisis or delayed fan spin-up/spin-down. The other Z170 motherboards support it but not this one. I know I can install ASUS AI Suite but I'd rather not. So... what's the best Z170/Z270 motherboard with the best fan control? The ASUS Maximus IV Hero looks good and supports delay fan spin-up/spin-down via BIOS settings. The EVGA boards...
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to make a recording when I get home but I did already e-mail Noctua and am waiting for a response. I'm using the rubber corners and the fans aren't hitting the radiator (and no cables are hitting the blades, etc). The noise is coming from every fan in the case though, but they are all Noctua iPPC fans (except for the CPU which are NF-A15s). Somebody over at Linus tech tips posted a response from Noctua stating that their iPPC fans use...
Interesting... I've never heard of PWM whine and I've only purchased Noctua fans because of their popularity. I've been doing more research and it sounds like the Noctua iPPC series does have motor noise (from the 3-phase motor) that their regular series does not have. (but they are ugly brown!) I'm definitely going to do more research and might end up replacing all of my case fans again
I have a bunch of Noctua fans (NF-A15 on CPU, 120mm on radiator, 140mm on case) and my motherboard is an ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming. My new AIO radiator (EVGA Hybrid Kit) has pump noise but while I was troubleshooting I noticed that every Noctua fan I have also emits a high-pitch sound at lower RPM. (ie. 300 - 600 rpm) Is this normal? I'd say I could have a defective fan, but literally every one does it. They are all connected via 4-pin PWM and are configured as PWM in the...
I haven't done any water cooling in a very, very long time but I've recently purchased an EVGA Hybrid Kit for my GTX 1080 Ti. The pump is quite loud (high pitch noise, buzzing, etc) and I've exchanged it twice and all have been similar. However, I have the radiator mounted on the front of my case (Fractal R5) with a push-pull setup (Noctua iPPC 120mm fans). Even with the fans attached (and those rubber pieces on the corner of the fans), the radiator still vibrates...
I'm looking to upgrade my OS drive SSD from 120 GB to around 250 GB and I noticed that my motherboard supports M.2 cards. (The motherboard is an ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming) Is there a benefit to going with an M.2 drive versus SATA? Any recommendations for a 250 GB SSD drive? (only for OS; I have a separate 1 TB SSD for gaming) Hopefully under $150?
How is the Fractal Design XL for a full-tower design? ...or what about the be quiet! Dark Base 900 that I mentioned in the OP?