Posts by sofakng

I'm looking to upgrade my OS drive SSD from 120 GB to around 250 GB and I noticed that my motherboard supports M.2 cards. (The motherboard is an ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming) Is there a benefit to going with an M.2 drive versus SATA? Any recommendations for a 250 GB SSD drive? (only for OS; I have a separate 1 TB SSD for gaming) Hopefully under $150?
How is the Fractal Design XL for a full-tower design? ...or what about the be quiet! Dark Base 900 that I mentioned in the OP?
I'm currently using an older Antec Twelve Hundred (v1) case but I don't like the cable management and my Noctua NH-D15 is MASSIVE and bumps the side panel of the case. Here's what I'm looking for in a case: Full tower Fits Noctua NH-D15 cpu cooler without problems Fits GTX 1080 Ti (ie. long video cards) without problems Allows for future expansion to water cooling Minimal/plain aesthetic Does NOT need side glass panel. The case is next to a wall and sides cannot be seen...
I'm using an older Antec Twelve Hundred , full ATX case that has the following fans: 1x 200mm fan (top, Antec "Big Boy" 200mm) 3x 120mm fans (front, Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM) 2x 120mm fans (rear, Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM) 2x 140mm fans (CPU, Noctua DH-12, Noctua NF-A15) 1x 120mm fan (GTX 1080 Ti, eVGA hybrid AIO kit) With all of those fans it's actually quite loud so can (or should I?) remove any of them? I'm using an ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming motherboard and I used...
I know that Skylake doesn't support HDMI 2.0 and that Kaby Lake is required, but I'm confused about motherboard support. Will an older H170/Z170 motherboard that is updated to support Kaby Lake CPUs be able to support HDMI 2.0? I'm looking at Gigabyte and ASRock's websites, and even their newer B270/Z270 motherboards are only listing HDMI 1.4 support. Can somebody help clarify the situation?
I'll give that a try when I get home. Thanks! Did you try creating custom resolutions in the NvCpl? (i.e. disabling monitor OC or setting it low like 60/75 Hz, and then forcing 80 - 100 Hz by creating the custom resolution) I doubt it would work or help but it's just something I thought of. I'm guessing you already thought of and tried everything but I thought it might be worth mentioning.
@Mountainlifter, are you sure the OC setting on the monitor itself makes a difference? Are you familiar with EDID information? I assumed that the OC setting on the monitor simply changed the EDID sent to the video card to tell it what refresh rates were available. I didn't think it was actually changing how the panel functioned. @Triggah, I absolutely understand the idea behind not searching for defects. I was actually very happy with my monitor until I read about the...
@Mountainlifter, I think I've read all of the important posts in this thread (and your testing posts which were really great) but I might have missed something. Did you find that the scanlines vary between panels? (i.e. did you try more than one panel?)
I think somebody posted about the X34A and it also had the scanline problem. Don't quote me on that though. Anyways, I've gone ahead and ordered another panel from Best Buy to see if it's any different than my Amazon panel. I figure if the Best Buy one is the same I can at least easily return it to the store and then decide what I want to do with the Amazon one. It's such a pity because the panel is really great in all other aspects (backlight bleed, 100 Hz overclock,...
Has there been any progress in the scanline issue? I've just purchased an X34 and when G-Sync is enabled I have scanlines on the left side of the screen like everybody else. I'm tempted to return it and try another one but it seems like ALL of the X34 have this issue or am I wrong? The biggest problem is that I absolutely LOVE this monitor besides that problem and I don't think I can return it and go back to my 24" TN panel... (I also know that the newer X34P is...