Posts by gino074

Yes, of course if it's only my drive and no other owners are measuring that speed drop on the 1TB model, I agree with you. Anyway I'm sure I'll not delete at least half of the data I have on that drive in the next months. Now that the speed is restored, I'll scan the drive every month or so and I'll follow up if the speed drop returns (and maybe I'll RMA the disk if it's still on warranty).
I was surprised, too when I did the scan & diskfresh on the 1TB 850 PRO... Looking at the scan you posted, it might be that my drive is somehow defective, even if after diskfresh now is running with the expected speed. Maybe it's a problem related to the 1TB model... I got that one with a big discount during a "Prime day" of a famous online store I'm also using this drive as a data drive, the OS is on another disk. BTW, how old is the data you have in the 256GB 850 PROs?
Hi to all, If you remember, a couple of years ago, I started on this forum the discussion about read speed drops on the 840 EVO. Now I own (also) a 850 PRO 1TB drive and I noticed a slow-down on old files like with the 840 EVO. The 850 PRO is installed in a PC which is 24/7 online. Here is a scan of my actual drive: And this is the scan after a run with Diskfresh: "Old" files are about 2-3 months old, I didn't have the time to check that carefully. So... Even...
I always observed a slight decrease of reading speed in drive regions with data with respect to free space, even when the drives were new with few GBs written.This happens also with newly written data, so I think is normal for these EVO drives. Maybe reading free space is faster because the controller optimizes reading empty cells by not reading them at all.
The best Samsung-alternative tool for restoring the drive performance is DiskFresh (google for it, it's from Puran Software and free for private use). It rewrites at low-level all sectors of the disk, so even read-only operating system files will be restored.
Hi to all, for what it can help the "post-fix" discussion here, my two EVO drives for which I started this thread, are running fine and at maximum speed since the firmware upgrade. I'm using them in the same PC as before and they are on 24/7 as before, too. Looking at "fixed" drives that degrade like without fix, the only thing I can think of is trying to restore again the drive speed with DiskFresh and wait again for a couple of months to see if this changes...
I understand that they say it is a firmware upgrade and a software to restore the read speed throughout the drive after the update (I imagine like the work diskrefresh does).The firmware should fix the flash management software algorithm, while the software pass restores the actual reading speed of all cells.What concerns me is that they say only 840EVOs are affected, while in this thread there are many examples of 840 (plain) drives affected as well...They also say:In my...
That's kind of bug of HDTach and the 840 EVO. Full speed areas with data inside appears as ~250MB/sec with spikes to full speed, but they are full speed (spike's top).For a more reliable scan, use another scan tool, like parkdale, hdinfo, aida, ...
HDTach is showing a full read speed for both the case when the drive is filled and after the trim... So what does that relates to our old files slow down?
Yes, sure but I don't recall a hard reboot in the last months... I use my PC a lot I remember only one time that I was away and the UPS kicked-in for a couple of minutes. I noticed that only because of a popup message!But again another kind of test to do having some spare drives to test...!