Posts by efahl

Looking at the SMART data might be highly diagnostic. I use smartctl (https://www.smartmontools.org/) in my login script to show me the numbers every day, so I can catch things early. On the other hand, if the drive is that old, SMART may not be enabled... Code: G:\> smartctl -A /dev/sdb | grep -E --color "^( 5|187|188|197|198).*|" smartctl 6.3 2014-07-26 r3976 [i686-w64-mingw32-win7(64)-sp1] (sf-6.3-1) Copyright (C) 2002-14, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke,...
I would go with a single 500G simply because it is nearer the price/performance optimum than a 1T drive right now. If you need more space down the road, well, I can pretty much guarantee that it will be cheaper, faster and more robust than what you buy today...
I installed the DB6Q on the two 840 EVOs on my workstation over lunch. Ran the speed test as soon as the machine rebooted, here are my two samples for the day. I'll do my best to keep taking a snapshot every Friday, as I had for a while after the CB6Q update...
I've been a total slacker on testing my 840 EVO for the past few months (out of the country for a while), but I got a snap today before I do an upgrade from CB6Q to the DB6Q firmware released back in April. Note the severe degradation over those months (I'm kicking myself for not putting an update reminder in my calendar, which ... I just did). See my previous posts for earlier versions of this, and more details.
Haven't been by for a while, thought I'd post today's scan... Things are not looking good, the whole drive is slowing down noticeably in the past month or so. Here's my aggregation of about 10 data points, starting the day I installed the firmware fix. This is the same EVO 500G that I've posted about all along, my daily driver (I have not been keeping track of any of the other dozen Samsung SSDs in the office).
Sure thing. This is my data disk, a 500 G 840 EVO, which I carry between workstations (my machines have hot swap trays, so I basically treat this drive like a really thick floppy disk). It has no OS on it, that's on each workstation's system disk. I ran the first Samsung update for Windows, then after it had completed its firmware update and "refresh", I ran Samsung Magician to verify the firmware version was indeed new. Since then I have done nothing different than my...
Here's my 2.5 month update... I missed the Jan 2 sample as I was out of town, but this gif shows every Friday from Oct 25 (the day after I did the update) to yesterday.
I've decided to collect a graph every Friday and put the history into an animated gif. Here's a three-frame version showing that there has been no degradation in the four weeks since I did the upgrade on my 840 EVO 500G.
From the Samsung website (http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/us/html/support/downloads.html):* If users restored performance with "Samsung Performance Restoration v.1.0", users do not need to use "Samsung Performnace Restoration v.1.1". (Tool does not work)
Yup, that's why you haven't seen any new pictures from me. I updated three 840 EVOs 8 days ago, waiting a few more weeks to see if any degradation starts creeping back.