Posts by Sylence

So does someone want to buy retail version of SR4 for me and mail it to Oz? These fuddy duddys seem to be under the notion that games are made for children and can't be appreciated by discerning adults. The sooner these (unelected) regulators get in touch with the modern gaming and movie scenes the sooner we can progress to more mature and meaningful content in our consumable media.
Will definitely be buying on steam (assuming no regional shenanigans) in that case. It's always a shame to be told by your government that you are not mature enough to handle a particular piece of media.
The problem isn't inherently with the gross number of people but with the consuming habits of those people. If we all lived like your average Ethiopian then the current population would be sustainable, but fortunately for us we don't. Mandatory population control outside of communist countries is impossible at this stage so instead we must focus on educating people on how to reduce their impact on an increasingly strained environment. The biggest problem we face in this is...
Depends on who the 'we' you're talking about is. You wouldn't need all the arable land to become desert for there to be a serious problem. Food production is primarily a problem of distribution and if land becomes more scarce, the best and most nutritious food will go the highest bidder (or possibly the closest consumers). Will humans survive climate change? Almost certainly. Will our current economic structure remain the same without some serious changes to energy...
CO2 is vital to life undoubtedly, but too much of a useful thing is by definition a bad thing. A couple of us have already offered to answer questions on the subject as honestly as possible to try and clear up misconceptions and educate people on the (far from junky) science. What specifically do you consider poor about how climate science is carried out?
The environment isn't a conscious entity so obviously it can't care. Any value the environment has is value that we place in it, therefore even if you don't care about potential damage to various ecosystems you should care about damage that will affect your standard of living (or that of your offspring). At this stage it is inevitable that a significant population are going to have their lives impacted by climate change (it is happening already with crop yields both in the...
It is also ignorance to look at the current changes and assume that humans are having no effect. At this stage we should still be looking at mitigating our impact as well as figuring out how to adapt to a changing climate.
He was being sarcastic...
Depends on how far back you're talking. The last ~100k years have enough proxies to have fairly high resolution and the last ~10k are even better. Before that there is a lot of interpolation and guess work. My understanding is that most models of the ancient climate are able to account for observed variability from Milankovitch cycles, atmospheric composition and feedback loops. As for whether the climate has been this eccentric in the past, the Little Ice Age and Medieval...
I would like to add my voice to this. I graduated from Environmental Engineering last year with my thesis being on 20th century climate change trends. I wouldn't consider myself an expert but I know enough to answer layman's questions.