Posts by japan1

Thank you, amigos! Just what I needed
Evening folks, Need a bit of advice on what PCI-E card to get for a Linux desktop. My requirements: - Drive two 1920x1080 DVI monitors - Handle 3D (Compiz, Mutter etc.) - Light gaming would be nice, I occasionally play a bit of CSS and L4D2. Not bothered about maxing them out, just playable at moderate settings. - Relatively low power (not using 6 pin PCI-E power for example) I've not dabbled with graphics cards on Linux for a few years, I'm currently using an Intel...
There are many reasons it won't have worked, the most likely one is the multiplier on the P4.Pentium 4's generally have very high multipliers, so changing the FSB even a small amount can make a large change in the end frequency of the CPU. Chances are, the overclock just wasn't stable so that's why your PC couldn't boot. It probably needed either more voltage, or more cooling.
I personally think Ubuntu is fantastic. I think it gets a lot of bad stick from many as it won't play games, or doesn't allow Windows software to run on it. This, to me, is a pointless argument. If you want to play a game designed for Windows, play it on Windows. Considering a Windows license costs £70+, I'm happy to be offered a fully functional free OS, such as Ubuntu or one of it's derivatives. I'm not a huge Unity fan, though. I do like the idea, but I don't feel...
Did you use the Sudo command before Nano? Sounds like a permissions issue.
I've also got a G6 and it is possible! I had the same issue, and it happens on every distro I've tested, follow the instructions below and it'll work. First, you need to boot into the live media, and where you are confronted with the options to boot (default, compatibility, memory test etc.), select default and press tab to edit the options. Once here, add the word "nomodeset" after the "--" (include a space so it's: -- nomodeset). This should boot the OS, then drop...
Here's what I use/recommend: 1. Web Browser (Firefox, Chrome/Chromium or Midori) 2. E-mail (Thunderbird or Evolution) 3. Programming (Idle - As I only use Python) 4. IM Client (Pidgin, Emesne) 5. Media Player (Totem for video, Clementine for music) 6. Torrent (Deluge, Qbittorrent or Transmission if you want something simplistic) 7. Disc Burning (Don't use) 8. Video Conversion (Don't use) 9. Webcam Management (Cheese) 10. Text Editor(Gedit) Few other app's I can't do...
I am jealous
I'm not too sure if the desktop drivers are less problematic, but the drivers for the APU in my laptop were definitely a little hassle.In fact, getting into a graphical, or even a command line environment was a even challenge. In normal mode, or compatibility mode, I would get a blank screen and nothing else.
Ubuntu 11.10 desktop on an AMD A6 laptop - not the easiest thing to get working on that hardware but got there in the end!