Posts by xlink

I need more DVI cables. My 3 monitors only have 1x display port and that's how I connect my laptops(one is thunderbolt the other full-sized DP). I don't want to play a cable swapping game.
I was referring more to the person spending 13k on a computer overall.$500 for a board is steep but it's only 4% of the 13k amount...I can still understand spending that kind of money on a system, doing data analysis in memory is a lot better than on disk - it'd only be around $800-1200 to max out the memory on a board with 64GB DDR3 RAM though. Cases like that are often embarrassingly parallel and you'd probably end up better with 2-4 networked midrange computers with...
There's usually a difference in reliability in a 10k car and a 1k car(which is important for people who want to hold down a job) and cars operate as a status symbol moreso than computers.My 12 year old truck is closer to 1k than 10k though, hahaha.I also use my computer more than anything else. My tower is around 1k or so... my monitors were around 1500 for all 3. Mouse + KB 200. Diminishing returns kick in fast.My priorities: financial health , fun activities, health,...
I've got that cash(err easily liquidated securities) on hand and there's no way in heck I'd blow it on a system like that. I think I spent about 1/10th that much on my base computer and it can do pretty much all the same things.
I was all for high resolution monitors throughout the 2000s and early 2010s. We are approaching the point of diminishing returns. For the overwhelming majority of people this simply doesn't matter. At typical desktop screen sizes and distances, 4k ought to be enough for anybody for quite some time given the limits of the human eye and economic/manufacturing constraints Yes 8K will be better and eventually we'll shift into something superior to that. Color reproduction...
Didn't I also say that and provide a mathematical framework to demonstrate as much?
Once (or similar MRAM) this is ready for primetime, cloud servers will begin shifting to use this.Rented compute space isn't going away.And all we as humans need is the ability to transmit video and audio seamlessly in real time over the internet with output streamed back(KB, mouse, touch).Cloud system does all the work, your phone or tablet gets the video and audio streamed to it.
Higher latencies at launch. It gets better as it matures if it's anything like DDR3... or DDR2... or DDR1 or SDR or EDO... at least for chip latency. Cell latency has gotten higher. That's probably OK though. Someone correct me if I'm off. I'l admit I was young enough during EDO times I couldn't read.http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?208829-Memory-101-SDR-vs-DDR1-vs-DDR2-vs-DDR3Regardless, higher capacity, lower electrical consumption/thermal...
How about info on future tech such mememristors? Anything for us to yearn for or is that too far off(if ever)?
tempting.... must wait ~1 year for DDR4 prices to drop. I want 32GB at a reasonable cost.