Posts by xlink

For the sake of argument... let's assume top of the line everything7700k with awesome RAM @5.1GHz7900x with awesome RAM @4.8GHz1800x with awesome RAM @4.0GHz1080TiFor games right now, all three systems will perform similarly close to each other that you probably wouldn't be able to differentiate them without being told which is which -unless intentionally scrolling rapidly in Cities Skyline or Civilization 6 are your thing.For games in 1-2 years the 7700k will likely be...
Here and now the 1080Ti is the fastest card on the market.By the time the 1180 or 2080 or whatever it's called comes out, a new generation of games will be out. These games will likely offer higher visual fidelity (remember, the consoles just got upgrades) AND will likely handle more threads better.The oldest of games will still generally run well regardless of the CPU and GPU. No need to upgrades to 1080Ti SLI at a phase change cooled 7700k to get more FPS in Half Life...
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_5_1600X/11.html1080Ti using R5 vs stock 7700k...usually differences of under 1% at 4k. When there are differences it's usually a blowout for Ryzen.Now I will acknowledge, the 7700k can OC around 20% and the R can only reasonably hit 10% more... but the R7 has MOAR coars so...The point remains, at 4k it really doesn't matter and a 1080TI is the limiter.Basically the 7700k only meaningfully wins in "best case scenarios" for...
It's a 16 core chip...No duh there won't be TONS of headroom left over.8 core Ryzen usually tops out at 3.7-4.2Ghz depending on cooling, risk tolerance and desire for silence and efficiency.Doubling up on dice will likely cost the end user 100-300Mhz. This happened with the 7900x as well. It's not a huge deal to the people who benefit from higher core counts.I will not recommend Threadripper or the i9s as gaming chips - 6C/12T CPUs right now are at around the point where...
There's a reason why everyone here is telling you you're wrong...CPU performance for desktop i7s and Ryzen chips isn't a big factor in games.Also I mainly do "coding" type work and I don't look at a frame rate counter on the 7 year old games for which my system is complete overkill.
980TI... 4k gaming... worried about CPU.HAHAHAHAHA.That's like being worried that the speed limit in an area is 75mph when you're riding a moped.Don't get me wrong you can totally hit 75 when you're going downhill with a tailwind... but the other 98% of the time your limiter is NOT the speed limit.Nice moped (980Ti at 4k).For what it's worth a new generation of game engines ARE being released. I wouldn't be surprised if a good chunk of them handle threading better. Will 4...
I agree, the 7700k is better if:You have a 120Hz or higher monitor,You have a GTX 1080 or higherYou run at lower resolutions than the typical GTX 1080 owner.You play games released in the 2015-2017 period only and have no expectation of future games being more thread heavy.For the rest of us, it's safe to assume that if you have a 5 year old OCed i7 or any Ryzen R5 or higher CPU... than your primary limiter will be the GPU because CPUs haven't mattered TONS for gaming...
Hit 3066 1T on the RAM with a bit of tweaking today. I still need to dial it in but it appears stable. 3200 is a no-boot at the moment.
They're 30-40% better at multithreaded tasks at the same price...That's enough of a competitive advantage.
Why would anyone think otherwise? the 1800x doesn't really game better than the 1600x... why would 8 more cores and LOWER clock speeds improve performance?At the end of the day you're comparing 100FPS to 120FPS...In gaming, CPU performance does NOT materially matter unless you're using a high end video card at a relatively low resolution on a high refresh rate monitor. If any of those 3 aren't GOOD, address those first.