Posts by Black Magix

Mine was smooth. All my settings and all my programs retained... Have a slight issue with my headset that I'm assuming is a bug. (It recognizes the device, shows up in hardware mixers but when a program tries to use it, it forgets what it is.)
As I recall, the navy has implemented a few automated radar tracking lazer weapons to fry missiles and torpedos. I'm not exactly sure how they work but I remember reading how they had to "unadjust" them because they were originally intended for gatling weapons and forgot to remote the compensation for bullet drop. When calibrated, they found that the lazer weapon was much better suited to shooting down missiles given a variety of testing factor (movement, weather,...
I have often discussed the future of warfare and where it's going with my dad. Dad believes we're not to far off from energy weapons being used on a military front and after seeing this I'm inclined to agree with him. That being said, imagine what a more powerful laser will do to human skin or the outside of a metal object (missile, bullet, jet) If this kid can build one in his garage, imagine what the military is cooking up. Realistically speaking, the next weapon might...
I would like to see a wider range of variance here. Test both cpu and gpu performance in both os's on a variety of motherboards. I'm curious to know if older hardware sees a bigger boost over new or if midrange products are getting a larger performance increase than top of the line.
......................................ouch!I remember I was screwing around on an ex-prod AIX box because it was being decommed anyway and I decided to see whatCode:rm -rf /did on an aix box.Did you know you can decomm the crap out of nfs mounts if you forget to un mount them first?
quad boot? O_O
My personal preference is CentOS if you want to go the linux route. It's about a close to RHEL (red hat) as you can get without technically being Red Hat. RHEL on the other hand occupies a LOT of the market share when it comes to enterprise linux.
Exactly. Because they're are so many of them, they're cheap and not very well compensated compared to their Unix equivalents or rarer OS equivalents.Now that being said, it makes it easier to get into that career field but I'd be aiming for a position that let's me learn multiple systems at the same time. Go in as a Linux Admin, and learn Unix from on the job training.
Definitely. It also varies greatly based on your system architecture (PPC vs. x86). There's a lot of dependencies.It seems that most "cloud" based architectures are all virtualized os containers (mostly xen from what I've dealt with)The two major chunks right now are RHEL and Windows...but that being said, both are a dime a dozen. Learning an OS is great but I'd also tack on that learning architecture would be MAJORLY beneficial once you sit down and know who you're...
Which flavor of Unix would be my first question... HPUX, AIX, and Solaris are the heavy hitters right now from what I can tell. Unix admin has a lot going for it and there are some core concepts that you'll need to understand in any *nix role such as disk, volume group, and logical volume management. For most Unix positions these days, you'll need to understand virtualization, lpar management and how they interact with a hypervisor. (Most large envrionments are...