Posts by hajile

I'm working on a legacy application in knockout that requires a deeply nested (and irregular) object to be bound, but the date coming over the wire is basically a database dump (back end devs with no front end experience). I need the knockout bindings done lazily, so I'm wrapping the nested parts in a computed property that queries a taffydb instance, mapreduces the date, applies the necessary knockout bindings which include a nested computed of their own, and defer...
In Chattanooga, $69.99 will net you a full gigabit connection (and that's 1Gbs both up and down).The cost for EPB to install a last mile fiber network for around a dozen counties was 300M. That comes out to a couple thousand per household. When you consider that their standard internet + television packages run from $100 to $145 (business plans being more expensive), then a household pays for all their installation expenses in 14-20 months (and given their install base, I...
If qwerty was designed for efficiency, then why is J (almost unused) located at the most prominent finger position while E (the most used by far) is off the home row completely? Even in the 1800 (and long before) key frequency was well known. There are huge efficiency increases simply by swapping R/F and E/J. This either indicates that efficiency was not the primary goal of that it was the goal and failed.
The block model of html is fundamentally broken in that it wraps to page width, but not to page height. This is the reason that centering horizontally is doable (via the nasty margin auto hack), but vertical simply doesn't work (display table cell doesn't count). At least part of this problem is solved with flex boxes.As to ECMAScript 6, the worst part is adding "block scoping" via let. Mixing dynamic scoping, functional scoping, and block scoping in the same language is...
Qwerty was arranged to prevent keys from jamming in mechanical typewriters. Speed of the typist wasn't a huge concern (not was movement efficiency).@OPI switched to Colmak a few months ago. I think it's better for typical use than Dvorak because the special characters don't change (not do the common ctrl- v, c, x, z, q, w, or a). In truth, my typing speed is about the same, but I can type for longer without my hands bothering me. I dropped qwerty completely when I took up...
The XML idea at the heart of HTML is sound and used everywhere for UI because it works. As much as it sucks, it's the best we have. That said, some JS frameworks have a more declarative design to do something closer to what you present (see enyoJS). Web components and template tags are offering the modularity you are talking about here (though the support for them isn't there for IE yet).A major issue with your design is the lack of css in the layout. That used to be the...
Compare these two.Code: My Title

junk junk
Code:(html (head (title "My Title")) ...
Language like python already prove that white space sensitive works (though that's not what I was proposing). S-expr and XML syntax both describe recursive trees of data (in fact, most XML parsers and the DOM in particular parse into ASTs which have a 1 to 1 relationship with S-exprs). Look at things like react js. They attempt to create S-exprs using js objects and then diff the tree for changes. With lisp macros, these trees become more regular and have proven tools to...
S-expr and XML style syntax are equivalent. Sweet expressions (M-exprs being the generic name) look very similar to python. We already do this on the back end with popular templating systems like jade, haml, thin, etc. Scheme simply has a macro system it can use as well.As to solving the browser problem, some parts can definitely be improved, but the vector nature needs to stay as rasterization doesbe pre work well in flexible environments. Another advantage of S-expr is...
For all the talk that JavaScript is the future, there is actually a fairly small core of people who understand the language. Functional programming requires a much more theoretical CS background compared to C or Java. This is probably the largest reason why scala, erlang, haskell, ocaml, lisp, etc are all unknown (functional programmers tend to be brighter than average). Combine this with the fact that EVERY important feature in JS has multiple gotchas (and major ones --...