Posts by Tator Tot

I talked to some engineers in the past (not sure if I can say who) but in regards to coolers like that one; the bigger fan does not overpower the smaller one due to the fact that the heatsinks fins are not bent-in on the sides so there are open air channels which allow excess air to either enter or exit from depending on the configuration.  On a radiator, you have closed air channels which cause both fans to feed into one another. 
Hello Folks,   It's that time again, and we're looking for some dedicated folks to help out the F@H team once more. While this is not an easy position to take up, we'd more than love to see a show of hands for some participants who are willing to put for the time to make our team one of the best in the world.    For a brief summary, the new Folding @ Home editor is here to:    Help Run Foldathons. Update Existing Folding Guides (or create new ones in the event of...
 Those GELID's are nice fans, I generally like the Wing 12's. My recommendations for them just go based on the price. Given AUS's pricing, they're not bad value.  As for Faster vs Slower; it all depends on the fan in question. In general you don't want to do this with 2BB fans as they make obtuse noise at lower RPMs (like GT AP15's get clicky at 500-700 RPM.)  Like wise, some fans just get more sporadic and loose balance at lower speeds (as they're optimized for faster...
 Shady business as well. Though I more blame the system than those who exploit it.   Silent Wings 2 fans are good for low obstruction use. The HR02 Macho would be a good example of that, as it has a low FPI (11-13 I think), as well as large surface area (so benefit from the extra airflow), and an optimization for airflow noise (so it doesn't hiss or make any obtuse extra noise.)  The TY140 should fit on the HR02 Macho, as it fits on the MACHO RevA as well as the original...
 I believe so yes, and it is patented in China for sure.Also, Ultra patented modular cables. Welcome to the US Patent system. Non-fixed cables have been on items for ages but on computer power supplies they were the first to think up to patent it. So they make money off ever modular unit sold.
I've got enough fans to make a hovercraft.
 It's all pending right now. Manned up and went to the doc, and found out I got a case of acute bronchitis. So I'm taking some AB's and spending my non-work hours just trying to rest and keep my lungs down.Haven't even slapped the Silverstones on the bench yet. Took them apart and snapped a few photos but that's it so far.With any lucky, I might just pick up a macro lens on the cheap soon to get some better photos but for now the 50mm will have to do.
 You're looking just around 890-900 RPM at 5v. 
 XFX has had trouble in the past with QC and making sure things are up to snuff. Just because they have good reviews of certain units doesn't mean every unit will be good.  They could have gone with a sleeve bearing fan & an array of cheap capacitors. If it's a company (non-profit or otherwise) they're out to make money and they should not be trusted to have your back. With some companies you can trust the warranty but that doesn't mean you trust the product. I own a good...