Posts by Deano12345

It’s been a bit of a mixed bag over the last few days. We’ve been in the eye of a storm the last 2 days in Ireland so I’ve not gotten too many things done, re did the front fan mount so they can blow clean onto the cards, fitted the NMB MAT fans to that too and am seeing a huge drop in temps which is nice. Haven’t gone to get the hardware to resolder them, but the cable pinout means I can use male 3 pin adapters to run them to my Molex connector, so I may just slow them...
It turns out there was an Ikea multi aperture frame being thrown at home so I took that and used it to make my rear fan mount this evening. Worked perfectly and it means I have less things to make Also found some NMB-MAT fans for sale locally for only €2 each so I'm going to collect them on Wednesday. They are 120x38, 5000RPM and designed for Dell, so I will definitely be breaking out the soldering iron to convert them to 3 pin and adding some sort of resistance to...
Turns out I'll be out for most of Sunday so I had to move the majority of the work for this weekend to tonight, not ideal since I was in a rush to beat darkness by the time I got home from work. First step was to take everything out and cut the hole for the cables to pass through, taken care of with a hole saw attachment, easy peasy ! Next step was routing all the cables up through it,even though I'm not using them all I ran all the GPU cables anyway since they'll get...
I've gotten another GPU for the rig, which should be here in around a week or so, a reference 980Ti from a friend, got it for a steal so it being not quite the most efficient thing in the world isn't too big a deal, it can hash at a decent rate so it should give a nice bump in earnings to the machine. With that in mind, I knew I wouldn't be able to run it on the current PSU so I dipped into my bitcoin wallet for the first purchase I've made purely from mining, which was a...
So nothing exciting to update, other than that I've installed a wifi adapter since my workbench is on the opposite side of the room to the wired Ethernet. Got a chance to give it a good 3hr run with the three cards in it, mainly to test the SATA to 6 Pin adapters didn't get too hot, which I've seen reported as an issue. They won't be used for much longer as I'll have a server PSU arriving in about 3 weeks with a breakout board for all the PCIE connectors I could ever want...
Finally time for another project, one I actually intend to document from where it is now, until the end! I generally tend to start off projects on here and then finish them up in one big go and forget to post about it. The Mk1 of this was a wall mounted test bench, that I still use to test, made out of two shelves and and a connecting section using parts from a spice rack, all bought from Ikea, this rig is the Mk2. A little backstory on why I need this, starting mining...
So as is common on my threads here, life gets in the way ! Doubt I'll see any progress on this side of Christmas but I will start work again on it next weekend. Three bits of updated news, I bought a front panel test kit, so add another €6.49 to the test bench cost. I have a dremel arriving on Monday which should make cutting the rear plate out much easier than I had planned 😁 I also have gained a separate side project build when work were throwing out a 2 bay NAS, one...
So I actually ended up getting more supplies last night with the intention of doing a write up tonight on what progress I've made, but alas I have a stock take to do so that will have to wait. Anyway here's some more pictures of it, the two sections are actually attached now and the rig can be carried around. Not seen is the backing plate where the fan and PSU will mount too. ' Looks like it will come it at around €20 for this whole case build so I can see myself...
Hi guys, After a long sabbatical from OCN, I'm back in some capacity (life has a habit of getting in the way) and what better way than with my first scratch build ! Here's the plan ! 1) Objective Using parts from Ikea, to produce a two level ATX sized, wall mountable, test bench. Must be able to mount standard PSU, single 120mm radiator (CLC) and at least one drive. 2)Budget Around €30/$35 I'll be keeping this post updated with my current progress and a cash total of...
In for #3 ! I'll give away my Schiit PYST USB cable if I win !