Posts by TheBlademaster01

I'd go with a used X5650 + X58 board to OC it. Should give you the best performance in multithreaded situations.
You'll mostly benefit from the extra bandwidth (as video edtiting can be quite a RAM hog). It does depend on what other option you compare it to though. You also have the option to use registered RAM for up to 4x the capacity of non-registered RAM. You could look into building a cheap dual X5600 series system or E5-2600 (v1/v2/v3). It all depends on your budget.
That being said, when running multiple heavy tasks the platform with most processing power and memory bandwidth will be the most responsive. I noticed that when upgrading from a single 2600K to dual dual 2665s. Especially while having a rendering program open while working in one or two other Adobe CS applications. For most other things, no.
Yeah, SSD as scratch disk helps a lot for Adobe CS applications. RAM helps a lot for simulations with a large amount of tiny particles in 3D (smoke/voxels, meshes, fluid dynamics, soft bodies etc.) and After Effects.@ShilkaWhat do you think about reusing a 5 year old Silverstone Olympia 850W in this system? Seemed like a solid unit to me and 3.3V, 5V and 12V lines still seem to be within ATX spec (3.184V, 4.785V, 12.112V
5820K is more efficient and not that far behind something like dual 5650s while offering better sequential performance (newer ISA, higher clock speeds, higher IPC). Also, Marin can keep his OP850 right?
Either 32kB or 64kB should be fine for a 64GB flash drive.
Good point. Agreed with the last sentence
I think only Sandy and Ivy Bridge based K SKUs didn't support VT-d. Haswell K SKUs should offer full support, haven't checked for Skylake but I imagine it would work as well. Sandy and Ivy Bridge-E K SKUs also support VT-d As for BIOS, you should really check what other people have reported by trial and error. Last time I read up on Xen PCI passthrough and Z77/P67 chipsets Asus was the way to go. Not sure about Haswell, but I'd really read up on stuff like this before...
@authentic You will need to look at the C600 series motherboards rather than X79/X99 etc. consumer chipsets. Purley should come out Q3 2016 which will be a 14nm Skylake based 2/4-way QPI platform. For now Romley (2/4-way Sandy and Ivy) and Grantley (2/4-way Haswell and Broadwell) are the best you can get in that department. Then you need a Xeon processor with sufficient QPI links available. E5-2600 family for 2-way systems and E5-4600 family for 4-way systems.
CPU bottleneck can best be determined by looking at GPU utilization in those scenarios. When performance drops it could be because CPU simulation is lagging and thus GPU utilization dropping as a consequence, but it could also be a VRAM / bandwidth or other bottleneck in the graphics pipeline.