Posts by Lord Xeb

Hey boss you would be correct. I rarely see a power supply failure cause the spindle controller to fail like that. Judging by where the chip let the smoke out it would be on one of the voltage inputs. They have something similar to a video inside of them so it is possible this portion got stuck open causing hi resistance and failure.
Because WD does what WD does. Why in the hell do they also enable encryption of the drives themselves? Same for their external drives. Like.. huh? Y U DO DIS?
Oh for god sakes Case 7 So… a 1TB 2.5” WD drive came in and it was clicking. Okay, no surprises there. What could be the issue? 1) Heads 2) Firmware 3) Platter damage I open the drive in the clean room and completely remove the heads. After checking things over I see no BT lines, no platter damage and all sliders are in place and intact. But that was only on what was visable and could be seen. There could still be an issue with a head regardless if the platters look...
There could be a few things that are causing the issues on that drive. Most cases it is NOT a PCB. With what you are experiencing I am suspecting it could have either a firmware issue or a bad head(s). On some drives the ROM for the drive is not on a separate PCB and is instead embeded in an internal ROM on the CPU itself. Not something your average joe is going to know how to swap over. Other times the PCB itself is just dead and ROM cannot be accessed. This is where a...
Yeah... I had it written up in word but forgot to post it from work. Trust me. I have it but I have to wait till I got to work tomorrow.
Looks like the spindle controller gave up the ghost. I have been seeing a bit of that lately with these NAS drives for some reason... From what I have seen with these it has not been a power surge but a malfunction. All hard drives have TSV diodes that protect them from surges. Those will go before anything else. Yep, just confirmed what I have seen. Those PCBs with 771945 on them I have seen several drives now with dead PCBs on them... Hell, I just had a drive I was...
They are not bad but not quiet.
From what I can tell you are not going to be able to do anything. It looks like you need to send it to the pros. Something happened but I am not sure what. I can say it was likely coincidence. Best case is that it could just be a degraded surface or worse case platter damage and not recoverable. Then again, if it was the latter then it would even show up in bios. Most data recovery companies offer a free eval and tell you how much it would cost. If the data is valuable...
As we both said I wouldn't worry about it. Your drive seems healthy and is working fine. That "click" you hear is actually the heads parking off the platters onto the head ramp and hitting the stop. The stop itself is a lot of times either made of rubber or plastic. In your case I think it is a stopper lock. These tend to make a more audiable click after a while when it breaks in. Some of the stoppers move and *catch* the back of the HSA near the voice coil as it is coming...
The drive has to be formatted with a GPT parition table to support UEFI with CSM. Not a real biggy and i would just leave it alone.