Posts by parityboy

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I'll offer my ideas anyway. After you build this server, will you be the one looking after it or will it be someone else? Also, does the laser cutter program have a restriction on licensing? If not, you could install VirtualBox on each work PC/laptop and create a VM for XP, then install the laser cutter program. The other way would be to run the XP VM on the server and RDP into it, but I don't know if XP supports that.
@Paul17041993 I might be wrong but the only real differences between your board and mine are SLI and RGB control. I doubt SLI would impact fan control, but bad RGB controller firmware might.
Does this include the board in your sig.? If so, are you referring to the CPU fan, or one of the secondary fan headers?
@radar54 If you're comfortable overclocking, I would suggest a Ryzen R7 1700 - all Ryzen CPUs top out at ~4.0GHz so unless you don't want to OC, an 1800X is of dubious value (unless the price has come down). Video encoding will use a fair number of threads, so an 8-core will serve you better than a 6-core. For motherboard, I use a Gigabyte GA-AB350M-GAMING 3, but that's mATX.
In enterprise environments, iSCSI SANs typically have their own dedicated network switch, which in turn may or may not have specific optimisations for the iSCSI protocol. For a home environment on 10GigE, especially with dedicated connections between the iSCSI box and whatever is mounting the iSCSI LUN, any protocol overhead will be irrelevant.
@OP First and foremost, iSCSI is SCSI over IP, which in turn runs over whichever hardware your IP stack has support for - Ethernet, Infiniband, WiFi - and yes, you can route iSCSI over the public Internet. In terms of performance in your environment, 10Gb will be more than fast enough in terms of raw bandwidth (make sure to enable Jumbo Frames) but latency will likely be higher than a SATA drive. High enough to be noticeable? No idea, so go set it up and report back.
Serve The Home.
It's all about price per TB. 4TB drives are the sweet spot right now.
@Calibos SATA 2 goes up to 300MB/s per port, SATA 3 up to 600MB/s per port. Either way, you'll never hit that bandwidth cap. In terms of the HBAs, they will likely be a PCIe 2.0 8 lane SAS or SAS2, which will be able to tunnel SATA 2 or SATA 3 respectively.
There's many ways to skin this particular cat, and the purpose will determine the setup. There's a world of difference between a web server cluster, a storage cluster and a Beowulf cluster. I agree on this being the wrong forum though. STH would probably be better.