Posts by silvergoat

LSI 9211-8i can also be flashed to IT mode. I paid $112 on ebay, but it was new IIRC. I bought another one from Amazon months earlier for $210.
My 6 drive FreeNAS box shows under 100w, but I'm not sure how accurate the meter on the UPS is.
I have a similar quality FreeNAS box that I use for backups. Works great....only on when I need it, and I have room for backups of all my computers and a separate folder for documents and mp3 files that I want backups of. I'm not sure about how good the parts would be for an actual server. Even though home servers require much less than any real server can provide, most of the time, I've determined, people speak "optimistically" about minimum requirements. For me, the...
Got some pictures of the hard drive area. Wish I would have taken them as I was building it so you could see how tidy the cables were before they went in. The molex is a splitter for two SATA power plugs- those are used for the rear drives. I used 1 molex with two plugs, and 2 SATA with 3 plugs. Looking at the pictures, the angle of the data cable on the last drive above the power supply makes me nervous. I was getting an error in gparted, specifically on the third...
Well, I also happen to have an FT-02 and a "non-ideal" video card. I can absolutely state that there is a temperature disadvantage with certain cards. I have an ASUS card with the dual fan cooler and even at stock the temps go above 70. This is the second card because the first was RMA'd due to temps going above 80. I like Silverstone cases, but the market is trending along with their design. I think they will drop it soon, which is a shame. Edit: ASUS card is 780...
I was typing from my phone while getting new tires on the car---to clear things up a little. The quality is not as good as the R4 Define XL- it is much more like the Core micro tower.... Still, it turned out okay. I decided not to wait for the HBA for the hard drives, and the box is currently running freenas in a six drive raidz2 configuration. I am not going to finish configuring the box tonight, and definitely no data on it tonight, but I'm happy with...
Got it yesterday- so far so good. Still waiting on my hard drive controller before it all comes together. Will probably do a test fit tonight with standard data cables, and fire it up if I'm happy with how it all fits. Great cooling options on the case. It looks almost as good as the pictures. In quality, it is probably closer to the fact core case than the bigger towers. I was kind of disappointed in that sense, but my overall opinion may go higher once it is all...
Ordered it last night, and should get it by Friday. My concern isn't spacing for cooling because I will be using WD Red drives that have been nice and cool in one of the 3 to 4 Optical bay to hard drive bay converters. I am just concerned with the power supply cables, since the SATA plugs are usually not spaced the same as the space between the drives will be. The more drives there are, the closer together they are, and that forces the power cables to bend abnormally...
A thread about the case I want, but no information as to the OP's configuration with all the hard drives? I am planning on a minimum of six 3.5" HDD, but I'm not sure how well that will fit with all the wires needed to accommodate 6 or more drives. I've seen almost no pics online of this case stocked full of hard drives, which makes me think it's completely unworkable, and the case design is for show. Coincidentally, like some of the other posters here, I also have a...
Ok- that seems easy enough. I do all of the transcoding/ripping on my main rig, and then transfer them to my NAS box and WHS box. I guess the gpu only matters on the computer that is playing back the content, correct?