Posts by the_beast

Your Duron rig will be similar speed to the P3 fileserver I ran for a long time.  Could stream multiple HD streams at once and never skipped a beat.   The only reason I upgraded was because I needed to use drives over 1TB and the PCI-X controllers I had (in PCI slots on a standard consumer mobo) couldn't take the bigger discs.
they're also a lot more expensive - probably because of the shipping...
  and this is why I don't understand why anyone would ever turn off the PF - there are no downsides to leaving it enabled, but you can see issues if you turn it off (but I don't really want to get into that debate again and derail this thread!)
it's also the reason why Arctic Silver is obsolete - you have to be very careful when using it because it's electrically conductive and capacitive.   Modern TIMs are better thermal conductors and are (for the most part) electrical insulators, which makes them much easier and safer to use.
  How long was it from cold boot to completing the test in each case?   Obviously running from a RAMDrive is going to have a huge performance boost, but if it takes an extra hour to set up & copy the files across to it after each boot it's not going to be popular.  But if the softwares can cope with loading into RAM in the background so the difference in startup time is minimal for an eventual increase in speed that would be worth knowing about.   Basically - usability of...
should work fine (only the memory controller on the CPU talks to the RAM anyway), only issue you might come across is if the board BIOS throws a wobbler when it reports the memory types installed.   Personally I'm not sure I'd risk it, but you can always try it and see what happens...
  You don't get increased sequential speeds (with mechanical drives at least - with many controllers you will actually get RAID0-like speeds from a RAID1 array of SSDs), but you do get improved access times for reads, which can increase speeds especially for random data.  Write access times take a slight hit however, so whether RAID1 gives an overall speed boost depends on your usage.   It would appear you have done a lot of research into RAID and the theory behind...
  Few points - doesn't matter what size platters you use, if you short stroke to 1/3 capacity, you use 1/3 the capacity of each platter.  It's impossible to do any different - if you suddenly started using just 1/6 of the capacity, where would the second half of your data get stored?   As for the fragmentation - smaller partitions INCREASE fragmentation, not decrease it.  Free space on a drive is key to avoid fragmentation, nothing else really matters.  Windows (and...
  The drive's internal garbage collection routines will still run, so although not quite as effective as TRIM under some conditions pretty much all SSDs won't actually suffer too much.   It's not a great idea though - the PERCs (especially the 5 series) have a much higher latency than most onboard controllers, and are also limited by 3Gb/s ports, so performance will likely be lower than on your onboard ports.
  Short stroking by 50-66% really won't make any appreciable difference though, especially if the rest of the drive is left empty (Windows will use the fastest parts first anyway, and keeping re-using them as older files get deleted etc).   For a short stroke to start to show any real world gains you want to be dropping to 10% of capacity or so.  It's not really worth it though for the most part - a modern budget SSD will destroy any mechanical drive for OS use making it...