Pros: Price / Modular system
Cons: Cheap capacitor use
be quiet! continues to create exceptionally quiet products. IT was awarded nine times in a row as manufacturer of the year in Germany, and continues to innovate. They create premium brand power supplies and cooling solution for desktop PC's. I'm going to be looking at one of their Pure Power series power supplies. This power supply is ideal for gaming, silent PC builds, and quiet multimedia home theater systems. Lets see how silent this PSU can be, and see if it can provide enough juice for some decent overclocking. If you are not sure the amount of power your system needs, check out this PSU calculator on be quiets! site.
The specifications are as follows:
- Two independent 12V-rails improve power signal stability
- Active Clamp + SR design improves efficiency and stability
- Four PCI express connectors for multi-GPU system configuration
- Full suite of top safety protections defends against over-currents, over- and under-voltages, short circuits, overheating and overloads
- High-quality sleeved cables simplify component installation, increase airflow and improve cooling
- All-in-one cable with convenient easy-plug HDD connector
- 80PLUS® Silver certification means very high operating efficiency for its class of up to 91%
- High efficiency means money savings, reduced waste heat, and overall quieter operation
- Standby drain of less than 0.11 watts
- Meets Energy Star 6.0 guidelines
- Fulfills ErP 2014 guidelines
- Zero Load design supports Intel’s Deep Power Down C6/C7 mode
Exceptionally Quiet Operation
- High-quality 120mm be quiet! fan is thermally controlled and optimally governed to strike the best balance between proper cooling and deep quietness
- Airflow-optimized fan blades reduce turbulence, allowing for best-of-class quiet functioning with excellent airflow
- High efficiency design produces low operating temperatures
Outstanding Service and Support
- 3-year manufacturer's warranty
- Quick support is available via our international hotline, Mondays to Fridays from 9:00am to 5:30pm CET: +49 (0) 40-736 76 86 – 98
The product was shipped with no damage on arrival. The packaging seems pretty basic, but I do enjoy the phrase "Exceptionally quiet, Superior Reliability." The back does give you a bit of information about what cables are inside, and individual power chart.
The accessories included:
- 600w power supply ( Has 4+4 pin and 24 pin pre attached to PSU)
- (The modular cables included are flat ribbon cables)
- 2x 6+2 pin modular cables for GPU
- 1x Molex modular cables
- 1x SATA modular cable
- 1x Molex and SATA combined modular cable
- Zip ties
- PSU power cord to wall
The pure power 9 PSU series stands for peerless dependability and best-in-class features. Whether your assembling a very quiet system, building a multimedia or multi-GPU gaming system, or upgrading an existing PC, your build will benefit from this PSU series performance and quality. I enjoy the adopted orange surround ring behind the grill, as this is be quiets signature color.
The Pure Power series best features:
- 600 Watts of continuous power and two 12V-rails ensure rock-solid voltage stability for powerful multi-GPU system
- 80PLUS® Silver certification and up to 91% power conversion efficiency
- Exceptionally quiet operation achieved through an array of careful optimizations, including use of a silence-optimized 120mm be quiet! fan
- Stable operation in its class thanks to Active Clamp + SR power conversion technology
- Attractively sleeved cables simplify component installation, increase airflow and improve cooling
- Product conception, design and quality control in Germany
The side of the PSU has a fantastic be quiet! logo which is a nice touch, and not to flashy.
The rear side of the PSU is well vented to help with airflow, and provides a power switch and power connector.
The front side of the PSU is where all the modular connections and hardwired cables are. The modular connections are neatly labeled and laid out horizontally. The modular cables included are flat ribbon and black, while the hardwired motherboard and CPU cables are nicely sleeved. I also enjoy the small things and love how easy the extra connectors stay with the main cables. Sometimes these cables do not snap well or are difficult to plug into your motherboard. The 24 pin and 8 pin connections easily plugged into my motherboard with no force.
The be quiet! Pure Power 9 600W can deliver 576W on the 12V rails.
Be quiet! uses a 120mm fan with the model number BQ QF1-12025-MS. The fan is rated for 12V,0.3A at 1800 rpm. This fan is classified as a silent optimized fan. The overall build quality of this PSU is pretty decent. It has several heatsinks for the PCB to help maintain temperatures. The ICs on the PSU are used to communicate and monitor to improve efficiency. This can be called Zero Voltage which allows the Pure Power its silent operations.
The card for modular management does use high quality capacitors, but the main PSU does use low grade 85C rated capacitors. I have read several times about different PSU that have had these leak or explode.
Testing power supplies is a complex procedure and can vary for several reasons. I am one reviewer and limited to what tools I have. I will be testing loads on the power supply for standard gaming, and overclocking. I will also test the Watts used by using a KILL A WATT. Please keep in mind that each system is different and actual loads can vary greatly even with similar hardware. I will be gaming using Overwatch, and using the system on 100% full load with Adia64 extreme.
The test bench is as follows:
- Motherboard- MSI Z97-Gaming 5
- CPU: Intel Core I7 4790K
- Network Card- Netgear AC 1200 USB
- Cooler- be quiet! purerock
- Memory- Anarchy X 16GB DDR3 2800MHz
- Video Card: PNY GTX 960 4GB
- Storage- PNY CS2210 480GB / Samsung 950 pro m.2 512GB
- Power Supply- be quiet! Pure Power 600W
- OS: Windows 10 x64 Pro
- Headphones- HyperX Cloud II
The load on the PSU is measured to get a general idea across various systems in respect to Watts consumed. I tested the voltages using a standard multi-meter. The voltages across the PSU managed to all stay within 3% of specification for each rail. There is sometimes minimal drop in voltage as with power regulations.
I always like a visual representation of noise whenever possible. I could just show you a chart with numbers, but in be quiets! case I wanted to show how quiet the PSU really is. You will have minimal dB differences due to various background noise, and other system devices and fans. This PSU is truly quiet and deserves the video to show that off. The average noise level for this PSU is 45 dB. I measured the noise level using a high gain microphone a few meters away. This is equivalent to a noise level of a normal conversation.
be quiet! I'm sure has its own method of testing noise, and here is their claim of sound levels for the Pure Power under specific loads.
This power supply is extremely silent, and delivers on overclocking, but I am disappointed in the use of cheap capacitors for the main PSU. This could cause issues in the future or even inhibit overclocking headroom. I was able to reach 4.5 GHz no problem, but this may affect a higher clock or stability long term.
There is often a miss conception you need a high wattage power supply for certain parts. As you can see I have a GTX 1060, and have alot of headroom before even hitting the Pure Powers threshold. This power supply had steady voltages across each rail, and really looks great. If orange isn't your look they offer a black ring version of the same power supply. I really appreciate the sleeved cables for the hard wired motherboard cables, I would have liked to see every modular cable sleeved for that nice cohesive look. The Pure Power 600W was able to provide continuous clean stable power for my overclocking, and I would highly recommend this PSU for anyone on a budget. You can buy the be quiet! Pure Power 600W right now from the be quiet! NewEgg store for $50.00.