Pros: Lots of power/ Modular system
Cons: No software / Price
Power supplies are extremely important parts to any computer build. If you're thinking of getting a cheap power supply don't, your components will thank you later. The Enermax Platimax series is platinum standard for what a PSU (Power Supply Unit) should stand for. It is 80 Plus Platinum which mean the PSU runs efficiently at 90% for 20% load level, and 89% for 100%. Enermax is known for extreme power, innovation, and good design concepts. Lets see how power-hungry we can make this PSU, and see how it stands out in the crowded market of power supplies.
The specifications are as follows:
Type- ATX12V / EPS12V
Maximum Power- 1000W
Fans- 1 x 139mm Twister-bearing Fan
Main Connector- 24Pin
+12V Rails- Single
PCI-Express Connector- 6 x 6+2-Pin
SATA Power Connector- 12
SLI- SLI Ready
Haswell Support- Certified
CrossFire- CrossFire Ready
Energy-Efficient- 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified
Input Voltage- 115 - 240 V
Input Frequency Range- 50/60 Hz
Input Current- 10.5A @ 115V, 4.5A @ 230V
Output- +3.3V@20A, +5V@20A, +12V@83A, -12V@0.5A, +5VSB@3A
Type- ATX12V & EPS12V Power Supply
Energy-Efficient- ErP Lot 6 80 Plus Platinum WEEE China RoHS RoHS
The product was shipped with no damage on arrival. I really like the packaging with the logo protruding from the box as a shiny logo. The phrase " YOUR SUPERIOR POWER" is proudly displayed on the front as well.
The back proudly display all the features that make this product great. Gives you specifications and connector information as well.
The accessories included:
- 1 x Main connector (24Pin)
- 1 x 4+4Pin CPU
- 1 x 8Pin CPU
- 8 x Peripheral
- 12 x SATA
- 1 x Floppy
- 6 x PCI-E
- Platimax PSU
- 2x cable bagsU
- User guide
- Rail distribution sheet
- Cable clip
- Enermax velcro cable ties
- Screw set
- Case badge
- 14 gauge power cord
The Platimax 1350 was well designed. Every detail is important. I really enjoy the chrome finish for the top. It is heavy, and feels extremely sturdy. This is by far the heaviest PSU I have ever held. The PSU is designed in a way that can be mounted in either direction depending on your cases internal setup. This PSU has lots of features that make it a fantastic choice for any enthusiasts.
Features of the Platimax 1350:
- FMQ Design- Fully utilize transformer’s quad magnetic quadrants energy to provide maximum switching efficiency and outstanding stability.
- Copper-Bridge Array Transmission- Unique Copper-Bridge Array creating wider conduction path greatly helps reduce airflow resistance, voltage drop and energy loss.
- 89PLUS ready!- World’s leading full modular cables PSU series with 89-94% efficiency @ 20-100% load. Compliant with 80 PLUS® Platinum standard
- ErP Lot 6 ready!- Help system meet ErP Lot 6 2013 (< 0.5W at standby mode) with high efficiency +5Vsb circuitry.* * With ErP Lot 6 enabled motherboard.
- C6 & Hybrid ready!- Maximum compatibility with C6 & hybrid states of current and future CPU & GPU generations by ZERO LOAD Design.
- DXXI ready!- 100% 6+2P (8P) PCI-E connectors to support new generation DXXI graphic cards.
- Future ready!- 12P modular design for possibly upcoming new CPU and GPU 10P and/or 12P connectors.
- Modular ready!- Full modular cable design for easy customized support for various peripheral settings.
- SERVER ready!- SSI PSDG support for latest Intel® Core™ Extreme/i7, Xeon™ and AMD® Opteron™ and SLI® or CrossFireX™ and downward compatible with EPS12V v2.92, v2.8.
- CordGuard- Fixing the AC cord tightly to avoid accidental shutdowns of your PC.
- HeatGuard- Keeping PSU fan running for 30-60 seconds after shut down to dissipate the remaining system heat and prolong system lifetime.
- SafeGuard- Industry-leading octuple protection circuitry of OCP, OVP, AC UVP, DC UVP, OPP, OTP, SCP & SIP.
- SpeedGuard- 13.5cm two ball bearing fan with patented advanced fuzzy logic fan speed control for optimal cooling and minimum noise
- 100% 105oC Japanese electrolytic capacitors- Highest components standards for maximum durability and stability.
- Enhanced Heatsink- Unique one-piece shape design ensures uniform heat distribution and increases air flow
- Ultimate Technology- Clean and efficient layout and classic finish with decent black deco frame, Platimax considers both the aesthetics and technology of the overall design
The copper bridge array is a great idea, and offers better transmission to the PSU components. It uses a 4x wider and shorter transmission path, 60% better DC regulation, and better stable clean power for DC output. The enhanced heatsink is uniquely designed to allow better heat distribution and increase airflow.
The magnetic FMQ design provides:
- Full zone magnetic quadrant transforming
- Conventional forward design
The zone fully utilizes the transformers quad magnetic quadrant energy to provide maximum switching efficiency. This provides outstanding KW output stability.
I also want to point out the included clip for the power cord. This is small but well thought out feature for the Platiamx PSU.
The cables included are modular and braided with the traditional PSU colors. The ends were not easy to plug into the motherboard. This may take time for the plastic ends to flex, but the 24 pin didn't lock into place easily. This was the case on the modular side and motherboard side.Some of the modular cables such as the extra SATA ones were in black with no sleeving.
I'm going to test the loads for standard gaming and then by overclocking my test system. I will test the Watts used, and will be using a KILL A WATT to test Wattage. Please keep in mind that each system is different and actual loads can vary greatly even with similar hardware. I will be gaming using Overwatch, and using the system on 100% full load with Adia64 extreme.
The test bench is as follows:
- Motherboard- MSI Z97-Gaming 5
- CPU: Intel Core I7 4790K
- Network Card- Netgear AC 1200 USB
- Cooler- Enermax Liqmax 240
- Memory- Anarchy X 16GB DDR3 2800MHz
- Video Card: PNY GTX 960 4GB
- Storage- PNY CS2210 480GB / Samsung 950 pro m.2 512GB
- Power Supply- Enermax Platimax 1350W PSU
- OS: Windows 10 x64 Pro
- Headphones- HyperX Cloud II
The load on the PSU is measured to get a general idea across various systems. I tested the voltages using a standard multi-meter. The voltages across the PSU managed to all stay within 2% of specification for each rail. There is sometimes minimal drop in voltage as with power regulations.
The acoustics of the fan are not loud at all. The fan utilizes a special feature called HeatGaurd which keeps the PSU fan running 30-60 seconds after shut down to dissipate the reaming heat left from running your system.
There are very few cons about this power supply. I would say that at this price point some software would be nice to help control or measure performance.
The performance of the Platimax 1350 is outstanding. Voltage regulation is solid, and is consistent across all the rails. This PSU is also unique because there are not many PSUs at Platinum efficiency at 1300W+. If you're an enthusiasts, and have a high-end configuration, then this PSU will deliver outstanding performance and enough power to full distribute to your expensive components. I highly recommend this PSU for any extreme setup. The Enermax Platimax 1350 can be bought on Newegg right now for $267.00.