Pros: Fantastic quality, cheap operation
Cons: Doesn't like to be moved
I freaking love it! The print quality is incredible -- and it's like wax on the paper. It doesn't smear or come off easily. Note: you can't write on it either, so that can be a gotchya for folks. Leave the area blank where you want to write if inking on the page is a requirement.
Some cons / annoyances:
- It's chatty. Warming up, it makes lots of noises and clanks and bangs and pops. Don't put it on your desk...
- It doesn't like being moved. Because it keeps the sticks melted, you're supposed to tell it to shut down to be moved and you have to wait a long time for it to cool. Doing this also wastes like $10 of ink.
- It kinda smells. It keeps the sticks melted so it always smells a little. I don't mind, but you read reviews. Don't sit next to it.
- Ours had the issue where to get the maintenance kit out, you have to break the cam. We found a business that repairs these printers and they spoke highly of the Xerox. And the repair wasn't costly.
- It's HUGE. I mean HUGE. You'll need to design your workspace around it. We put this one on a folding table in the shipping area. Then we put a piece of 1" thick acrylic under it so the printer was on a smooth and level platform.
- It's really heavy. But that helps when it comes to not moving it.
- Fast Ink from inktechnologies.com works and is 1/2 the price of Xerox oem ink. We've gone through lots and lots of sticks from them. If there was going to be a problem, we'd have found it.
- Reliable. It runs the cheap Costco paper through it and the printer just works. Like it's supposed to.
- It has a built in webserver and has incredible options.
- Great quality output.
I highly recommend this or its replacement model.