I just finished painting my nzxt m59. It took me about 2 weeks but the finish is unbelievable it looks better than my car! I've been planning on posting a tutorial on how to get the best quality paint job, but haven't found the time to do a proper write up. So until then I've just been using this "shortened" version.
Before you begin
Some basic thing to know about how to spray.
*Spray a slow even coat but dont spray so slowly that the paint drips.
*Hold the can about 8-10 inches away from the surface you are spraying,
*Do a couple layers each time. spraying in different directions each time.
*note that once your can has about 1/4 of a can left it will start to sputter and spray unevenly because the aerosol is running out. You can combat this by running the can under some hot water. This will cause the aerosol to expand and to the bottom of a can and increase the pressure in the can.
*primer is a must(unless your paint is self-priming) it helps keep you paint stuck to the case and prevents it from chipping off.
Lets say you want to do a white job with a black racing stripe.
1) take your 220 grit and rough up all of the surfaces you want to paint( this will allow the paint to stick better. Then you need to clean the places you want to paint. to do this take some rubbing alchohol on a rag and wipe down all the places you wish to paint. Do it a few times and let it dry off for a couple hours
2) buy some primer and spray the case using the aforementioned techniques. one or two coats should do. let it sit for a minimum of 6 hours, placed in the son light if you can.
3)Take your black paint and spray a few coats, leaving about 30-45 minutes to dry in between coats. Then let it sit for a day then lightly sand with 500grit or higher, make sure to sand in alternating directions. The more you sand the paint the smoother it will look, but if you sand too much you could sand right through the paint exposing the primer underneath.
4) The next thing you should do is clean it. Don't use alchohol whatever you do! use soapy water on a rag instead. allow it to dry for a day. Then measure out the racing strip you want and place masking tape over the area where you want the racing stripe to be.
5) Time to spray again. its time for the white, so do a few coats then let it sit for a a day. Now its time to sand. Place fresh tape over the racing stripe. then take the 500grit like you did before and lightly sand the white.
6) repeat cleaning with soapy water and allow it to dry for a day.
7) Buy some clearcoat form your local homedepot and spray a few coats like you did with the paint. (the clear coat makes your paint really shiny and keeps you paint from rubbing or chipping off) let dry for a few days. I would say sand with 1500grit to polish the finish up and your done!
Ya...maybe not so simple, but this will make your case look legit The key to having a nice paintjob is to take your time. This maybe the hardest thing to do, but it will save you the most work in the long run; because if you screw up, you almost always have to restart from scratch
And if a week of painting is too long, you can always save a couple days by painting one color and only sanding before and after all of the spraying.
Its pretty late. I may have left something out, so let me know if anything seems out of place. any questions? lemme know.
Edited by (mirror)52-D.S.L. - 4/26/11 at 11:01pm