Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Cnet] Sony: PSN Personal info compromised
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Cnet] Sony: PSN Personal info compromised - Page 9

post #81 of 116
Quote:
Valued PlayStation(R)Network/Qriocity Customer:

We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011,
certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account
information was compromised in connection with an illegal and
unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this
intrusion, we have:

1) Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;

2) Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full
and complete investigation into what happened; and

3) Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our
network infrastructure by rebuilding our system to provide you
with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill
as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and
efficiently as practicable.

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident,
we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following
information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country,
email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login,
and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data,
including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip),
and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may
have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your
dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have
been obtained. While there is no evidence at this time that credit
card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have
provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity,
out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit
card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have
been obtained.

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email,
telephone and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive
information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email,
asking for your credit card number, social security number or other
personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information,
you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the PlayStation
Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that
you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation
Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or
accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we
encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and
to monitor your credit reports. We are providing the following information
for those who wish to consider it:
- U.S. residents are entitled under U.S. law to one free credit report annually
from each of the three major credit bureaus. To order your free credit report,
visit www.annualcreditreport.com or call toll-free (877) 322-8228.

- We have also provided names and contact information for the three major U.S.
credit bureaus below. At no charge, U.S. residents can have these credit bureaus
place a "fraud alert" on your file that alerts creditors to take additional steps
to verify your identity prior to granting credit in your name. This service can
make it more difficult for someone to get credit in your name. Note, however,
that because it tells creditors to follow certain procedures to protect you,
it also may delay your ability to obtain credit while the agency verifies your
identity. As soon as one credit bureau confirms your fraud alert, the others
are notified to place fraud alerts on your file. Should you wish to place a
fraud alert, or should you have any questions regarding your credit report,
please contact any one of the agencies listed below:

Experian: 888-397-3742; www.experian.com; P.O. Box 9532, Allen, TX 75013
Equifax: 800-525-6285; www.equifax.com; P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
TransUnion: 800-680-7289; www.transunion.com; Fraud Victim Assistance Division,
P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790

- You may wish to visit the website of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission at
www.consumer.gov/idtheft or reach the FTC at 1-877-382-4357 or 600 Pennsylvania
Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580 for further information about how to protect
yourself from identity theft. Your state Attorney General may also have advice
on preventing identity theft, and you should report instances of known or
suspected identity theft to law enforcement, your State Attorney General,
and the FTC. For North Carolina residents, the Attorney General can be
contacted at 9001 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-9001; telephone
(877) 566-7226; or www.ncdoj.gov. For Maryland residents, the Attorney
General can be contacted at 200 St. Paul Place, 16th Floor, Baltimore, MD 21202;
telephone: (888) 743-0023; or www.oag.state.md.us.

We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this
incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the
clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes
information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that
additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information.
Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is
our utmost priority. Please contact us at 1-800-345-7669 should you have any
additional questions.

Sincerely,

Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Network Entertainment

Hm.
Edited by OmegaNemesis28 - 4/26/11 at 7:21pm
Nemesis NE-α
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4790k (Devil's Canyon) AsRock Z97 Extreme 4 Visiontek AMD 6990 Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 840 XSPC Raystorm Windows 8.1 Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Ducky Blue Overclock.net Themed Mechanical Keyb... Corsair Silver 1kw  
CaseMouseAudio
Case Labs TH10 Logitech G502 Logitech 5.1 speakers w/ Onkyo Receiver 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon W3520 i7 4.0ghz EVGA X58 Classified Visiontek 6990 GSkill 6GB DDR3 Pi 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD ; 2x 1TB ; 2x 2TB Samsung BluRay Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 64x 3x Dell U2311H 23" 1080p IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard SilverStone Strider 1000w Modular Power Supply Lian Li V2000 Plus Logitech G9 Gaming Laser Mouse 
Mouse Pad
Cyba Sniper Tracer (Acrylic Glass) 
  hide details  
Reply
Nemesis NE-α
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4790k (Devil's Canyon) AsRock Z97 Extreme 4 Visiontek AMD 6990 Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 840 XSPC Raystorm Windows 8.1 Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Ducky Blue Overclock.net Themed Mechanical Keyb... Corsair Silver 1kw  
CaseMouseAudio
Case Labs TH10 Logitech G502 Logitech 5.1 speakers w/ Onkyo Receiver 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon W3520 i7 4.0ghz EVGA X58 Classified Visiontek 6990 GSkill 6GB DDR3 Pi 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD ; 2x 1TB ; 2x 2TB Samsung BluRay Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 64x 3x Dell U2311H 23" 1080p IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard SilverStone Strider 1000w Modular Power Supply Lian Li V2000 Plus Logitech G9 Gaming Laser Mouse 
Mouse Pad
Cyba Sniper Tracer (Acrylic Glass) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #82 of 116
Sony's security: 0/10
Guess they used all that money for security getting lawyers to sue Geohot...
Fearless~
(20 items)
 
The Intel Side
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.8 Asus Sabertooth 990FX EVGA GrillForce GTX 465 SLI Mushkin Blackline 2x4gb 1600mhz [1.5v] 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB WD Caviar Black (1002FAEX)1TB Synology DS210J (4tb) Lite-on DVD Rewriter 16x IDE External 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Samsung Syncmaster E2320 Metadot Das Professional S Silent 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX 850 V1 [Original PSH] NZXT Gamma Classic Series Mid-Tower Logitech VX Revolution Razer Sphex 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Asus Xonar DX Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Bose Triport/Klipsch S3 Blue Snowball 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i3 2100 Gigabyte H61M-S2PV Asus GT430 Corsair XMS3 2x2gb 1333mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Intel X-25V 40GB Synology DS210j (4tb) Seagate Barracuda 120gb LG CH12LS28 Blu Ray  
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Thermalright X-Silent 120 Mac OS X 10.8.2 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Toshiba 46VX700VU 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 700 XFX 450w Core Edition Silverstone ML03B Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 700 
AudioAudio
Realtek Onboard Klipsch Promedia 2.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53ghz Apple Logic Board Nvidia Geforce 9400m 4gb @1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Western Digital Scorpio Black 320gb Synology DS210j (4tb) Apple SuperDrive Mac OS X 10.8.4/Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
13" 1280x800 Glossy Backlit Apple Keyboard/OCN Ducky Tenkeyless [MX... 65w Magsafe Aluminium Unibody 
MouseAudioAudio
Apple Trackpad/Logitech MX310 Fiio A1 + Sony Bookshelf Blue Snowball 
  hide details  
Reply
Fearless~
(20 items)
 
The Intel Side
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.8 Asus Sabertooth 990FX EVGA GrillForce GTX 465 SLI Mushkin Blackline 2x4gb 1600mhz [1.5v] 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB WD Caviar Black (1002FAEX)1TB Synology DS210J (4tb) Lite-on DVD Rewriter 16x IDE External 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Samsung Syncmaster E2320 Metadot Das Professional S Silent 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX 850 V1 [Original PSH] NZXT Gamma Classic Series Mid-Tower Logitech VX Revolution Razer Sphex 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Asus Xonar DX Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Bose Triport/Klipsch S3 Blue Snowball 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i3 2100 Gigabyte H61M-S2PV Asus GT430 Corsair XMS3 2x2gb 1333mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Intel X-25V 40GB Synology DS210j (4tb) Seagate Barracuda 120gb LG CH12LS28 Blu Ray  
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Thermalright X-Silent 120 Mac OS X 10.8.2 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Toshiba 46VX700VU 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 700 XFX 450w Core Edition Silverstone ML03B Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 700 
AudioAudio
Realtek Onboard Klipsch Promedia 2.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53ghz Apple Logic Board Nvidia Geforce 9400m 4gb @1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Western Digital Scorpio Black 320gb Synology DS210j (4tb) Apple SuperDrive Mac OS X 10.8.4/Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
13" 1280x800 Glossy Backlit Apple Keyboard/OCN Ducky Tenkeyless [MX... 65w Magsafe Aluminium Unibody 
MouseAudioAudio
Apple Trackpad/Logitech MX310 Fiio A1 + Sony Bookshelf Blue Snowball 
  hide details  
Reply
post #83 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldari View Post
As far as people acting like Xbox Live is so super secure because they pay for it, I guarantee you it would get hacked if Microsoft went out of their way to poke and prod hackers or claim their system is unhackable.

Anything is hackable.
Nope, it is a fact you get what you pay for, and since we pay for XBL, it is a fact it is better. What is more likely to break down, a used car that is selling for $1,400 but is given to you for free "just because", or a brand new car worth $40,000. The $1,400 is more likely to break down, that is a fact.

XBL is king, it is #1 most used online console gaming service.
post #84 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyFan View Post
Nope, it is a fact you get what you pay for, and since we pay for XBL, it is a fact it is better. What is more likely to break down, a used car that is selling for $1,400 but is given to you for free "just because", or a brand new car worth $40,000. The $1,400 is more likely to break down, that is a fact.

XBL is king, it is #1 most used online console gaming service.
Your fanboyism is blinding you. You really think Anon couldn't bring down XBL or some hackers couldn't do the very same thing they're doing now to it?

Bueller
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K 4.7Ghz @ 1.36v Asus Sabertooth Z77 Gigabyte Windforce 780 Ti 3GB 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 9-10-9-27 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
256GB Samsung 840 Pro + RAID1 2TB 7200 Hitachis LG 6X Blu-ray Burner Corsair H100i Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG236HE XArmor U9BL-S Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W Corsair 600T 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 SteelSeries 5L O2DAC -> Corsair SP2500 (or O2 amp and Beyerdyn... 
  hide details  
Reply
Bueller
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K 4.7Ghz @ 1.36v Asus Sabertooth Z77 Gigabyte Windforce 780 Ti 3GB 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 9-10-9-27 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
256GB Samsung 840 Pro + RAID1 2TB 7200 Hitachis LG 6X Blu-ray Burner Corsair H100i Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG236HE XArmor U9BL-S Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W Corsair 600T 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 SteelSeries 5L O2DAC -> Corsair SP2500 (or O2 amp and Beyerdyn... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #85 of 116
Quote:
While there is no evidence at this time that credit
card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility.
lol that is such bullcrap PR spin. Of course CC data was taken, it is in the same system, and they know it was viewed by the hacker. What hacker would taken everything else and leave the CC info? NONE.
post #86 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldari View Post
Your fanboyism is blinding you. You really think Anon couldn't bring down XBL or some hackers couldn't do the very same thing they're doing now to it?

No they couldn't, that is why you don't see it happening.
post #87 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyFan View Post
No they couldn't, that is why you don't see it happening.
That's like saying someone couldn't hack windows. Same company.
An Angry Robot
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k Asus P8Z77-V Pro Asus Strix 1070 G Skill Trident 2400mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 500gb SSD x 1tb HDD Samsung External Corsair H100i Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Catleap Q270 Acer Coolermaster Quickfire Rapid (reds) Corsair 750HX 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 540 Logitech G600 XFX Warpad Asus Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
An Angry Robot
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k Asus P8Z77-V Pro Asus Strix 1070 G Skill Trident 2400mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 500gb SSD x 1tb HDD Samsung External Corsair H100i Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Catleap Q270 Acer Coolermaster Quickfire Rapid (reds) Corsair 750HX 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 540 Logitech G600 XFX Warpad Asus Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #88 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaNemesis28 View Post
Hm.
I just got that e-mail, and as soon as I sign on gmail to check it I got a notification that my e-mail was accessed from China somewhere and prompted me to change my password
FX-8320
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD3 XFX Radeon 5450 Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung Evo 120GB Western Digital 2TB Green LG DVD-RW Cooler Master Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Dell S2740L Logitech K750 Antec 850w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Source 210 Elite Logitech M705 Razer Goliathus Altec Lansing VS4621 
OtherOther
NXZT Aperture M TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 
  hide details  
Reply
FX-8320
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD3 XFX Radeon 5450 Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung Evo 120GB Western Digital 2TB Green LG DVD-RW Cooler Master Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Dell S2740L Logitech K750 Antec 850w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Source 210 Elite Logitech M705 Razer Goliathus Altec Lansing VS4621 
OtherOther
NXZT Aperture M TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 
  hide details  
Reply
post #89 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyFan View Post
Nope, it is a fact you get what you pay for, and since we pay for XBL, it is a fact it is better. What is more likely to break down, a used car that is selling for $1,400 but is given to you for free "just because", or a brand new car worth $40,000. The $1,400 is more likely to break down, that is a fact.

XBL is king, it is #1 most used online console gaming service.
Your fanboyism is so blind and your logic is so nonexistant, it's really bad.

You go out to eat and pay $100 for a fancy dinner, who's to say that a cheapo meal at some dinner isn't just as good if not better. That's not "you get what you pay for." Your logic doesn't apply in all cases, and you have NO EVIDENCE of that same logic being applied to some online service that you're allied with like a dog.

This is the first real compromise of PSN security, and you're acting like XBL never has. Meanwhile, they've had dozens and dozens of security compromises over the past several years. You think that just because you pay for XBL, somehow you're more secure. It's funny. Let me know when you have proof because the actual facts that are present show the OPPOSITE of what you claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyFan View Post
No they couldn't, that is why you don't see it happening.
Of course you don't see it happening right now. MS isn't the target of people like Anon right now and other haters at the moment. Nor do they have a CFW floating around. Your point being?
Hell, it's quite funny that people can still abuse and exploit Xbox Live security even without something as powerful as a CFW or developer console. They can mess with Xbox Live with a stock/standard console. How's that security at all? Again, your claims are all completely false and your logic of "you get what you pay for" actually works against you.

I also find it funny how in the other thread, you claimed that the 360 is actually cheaper than the PS3 yet in this thread you say you "get what you pay for".
By your OWN logic and words, the PS3 would be better because "it is double the price" somehow. You just completely contradicted yourself.

Quote:
lol that is such bullcrap PR spin. Of course CC data was taken, it is in the same system, and they know it was viewed by the hacker. What hacker would taken everything else and leave the CC info? NONE.
That's not true at all.
This is like the email hacking stuff that went on with Apple's iPad and the big fiasco with the email provider for all the big companies like Disney and Collegeboard. Just because they can get your name and email info doesnt mean they can get CC info. The CC info can be stored on different servers, behind certain verification walls, and all sorts of other stuff. You know nothing, so stop acting like you do.
Edited by OmegaNemesis28 - 4/26/11 at 8:10pm
Nemesis NE-α
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4790k (Devil's Canyon) AsRock Z97 Extreme 4 Visiontek AMD 6990 Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 840 XSPC Raystorm Windows 8.1 Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Ducky Blue Overclock.net Themed Mechanical Keyb... Corsair Silver 1kw  
CaseMouseAudio
Case Labs TH10 Logitech G502 Logitech 5.1 speakers w/ Onkyo Receiver 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon W3520 i7 4.0ghz EVGA X58 Classified Visiontek 6990 GSkill 6GB DDR3 Pi 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD ; 2x 1TB ; 2x 2TB Samsung BluRay Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 64x 3x Dell U2311H 23" 1080p IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard SilverStone Strider 1000w Modular Power Supply Lian Li V2000 Plus Logitech G9 Gaming Laser Mouse 
Mouse Pad
Cyba Sniper Tracer (Acrylic Glass) 
  hide details  
Reply
Nemesis NE-α
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4790k (Devil's Canyon) AsRock Z97 Extreme 4 Visiontek AMD 6990 Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 840 XSPC Raystorm Windows 8.1 Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Ducky Blue Overclock.net Themed Mechanical Keyb... Corsair Silver 1kw  
CaseMouseAudio
Case Labs TH10 Logitech G502 Logitech 5.1 speakers w/ Onkyo Receiver 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon W3520 i7 4.0ghz EVGA X58 Classified Visiontek 6990 GSkill 6GB DDR3 Pi 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD ; 2x 1TB ; 2x 2TB Samsung BluRay Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 64x 3x Dell U2311H 23" 1080p IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard SilverStone Strider 1000w Modular Power Supply Lian Li V2000 Plus Logitech G9 Gaming Laser Mouse 
Mouse Pad
Cyba Sniper Tracer (Acrylic Glass) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #90 of 116
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Cnet] Sony: PSN Personal info compromised