Overclock.net › Forums › Overclockers Care › Overclock.net Folding@Home Team › [The Official] OCN 24/7 Folders Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[The Official] OCN 24/7 Folders Club - Page 179

post #1781 of 4253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribozyme View Post

Hey guys, I am folding 24/7 for about two weeks now. Only 3570k at 4.3 ghz though. Sold my 670 dc 2 because it had coil whine while folding. Anyone knows a good non whining gpu for folding that has a TDP around the 670? And can I join this club tongue.gif ?

Of course you can join, I'll update the OP. 

 

As far as GPUs, and coil whine, I think it's just luck of the draw, some whine, some don't.  My old MSI Lightning 680 didn't whine, but my zotac 680 did slightly, ever so slightly.  I've never really had one that was loud enough where it was a distraction.

post #1782 of 4253
Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis1127 View Post

Of course you can join, I'll update the OP. 

As far as GPUs, and coil whine, I think it's just luck of the draw, some whine, some don't.  My old MSI Lightning 680 didn't whine, but my zotac 680 did slightly, ever so slightly.  I've never really had one that was loud enough where it was a distraction.

Alright thanks biggrin.gif Hmm I see, mine was loud enough to hear across the room. If I were to buy a new GPU and it whines again, is that a valid reason to RMA it or will they not accept it?
post #1783 of 4253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribozyme View Post


Alright thanks biggrin.gif Hmm I see, mine was loud enough to hear across the room. If I were to buy a new GPU and it whines again, is that a valid reason to RMA it or will they not accept it?

 

I don't think many companies will RMA for coil whine, you could ask, but I think as long as it still works fine, they won't replace it.

 

Also, I think Klue22 is the only one with access to the gdocs, so he'll have to update it to include you.

post #1784 of 4253
Guess I can get thrown into the mix. 4p's never sleep thumb.gif
post #1785 of 4253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribozyme View Post

Alright thanks biggrin.gif Hmm I see, mine was loud enough to hear across the room. If I were to buy a new GPU and it whines again, is that a valid reason to RMA it or will they not accept it?
On GPUs you can just take the HSF off and paint some clear nail polish onto the coils (especially around the base).
Maximum Dwarf
(15 items)
 
Density!
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570k ASUS MAXIMUS IV GENE HD7970 Gen 1 Ripjaws Z 2x8GB 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
1TB RE4 2x3TB WD Red LG 10x BD-R Corsair H80i w/push pull 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 Ultimate 3x 1920x1080 LG IPS displays. Razer Mass Effect 3 Blackwidow Ultimate Cooler Master Silent Pro M850 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone TJ08B-E R.A.T. 7 An ergonomic one 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i7 3770k Gigabyte Sniper M3 1155 mATX CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600MHz 1TB WD RE4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2TB WD Red 2TB WD Red 4TB WD Red 4TB WD Red 
PowerCaseAudioOther
750W Seasonic Gold Fractal Node 804 5.1 Definitive Def Tech PERC 5i RAID card w/ BBU (LSI Firmware) 
  hide details  
Reply
Maximum Dwarf
(15 items)
 
Density!
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570k ASUS MAXIMUS IV GENE HD7970 Gen 1 Ripjaws Z 2x8GB 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
1TB RE4 2x3TB WD Red LG 10x BD-R Corsair H80i w/push pull 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 Ultimate 3x 1920x1080 LG IPS displays. Razer Mass Effect 3 Blackwidow Ultimate Cooler Master Silent Pro M850 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone TJ08B-E R.A.T. 7 An ergonomic one 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i7 3770k Gigabyte Sniper M3 1155 mATX CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600MHz 1TB WD RE4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2TB WD Red 2TB WD Red 4TB WD Red 4TB WD Red 
PowerCaseAudioOther
750W Seasonic Gold Fractal Node 804 5.1 Definitive Def Tech PERC 5i RAID card w/ BBU (LSI Firmware) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1786 of 4253
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRLurself View Post


On GPUs you can just take the HSF off and paint some clear nail polish onto the coils (especially around the base).


I've heard that before, but with epoxy I think instead of nail polish.

post #1787 of 4253
Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis1127 View Post


I've heard that before, but with epoxy I think instead of nail polish.

And does it work?
post #1788 of 4253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribozyme View Post


And does it work?


Yeah, apparently.   That's what I've been told to do.  I don't have any GPUs with coil whine to test it right now.

post #1789 of 4253
Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis1127 View Post


Yeah, apparently.   That's what I've been told to do.  I don't have any GPUs with coil whine to test it right now.

Might test it out myself if I get a new GPU. Still haven't decided which one to pick with my 400w PSU. 680 or 770.
post #1790 of 4253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribozyme View Post


Might test it out myself if I get a new GPU. Still haven't decided which one to pick with my 400w PSU. 680 or 770.


Aren't they basically the same thing?  770 is just cheaper new right now, and faster clocks.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Overclock.net Folding@Home Team
Overclock.net › Forums › Overclockers Care › Overclock.net Folding@Home Team › [The Official] OCN 24/7 Folders Club