This OP will be edited as the build progresses with current pics and comments.
I'm currently in the process of designing a new build that will be completed once Kepler and Ivy bridge are released (I will not rule out quadfire AMD, but since AMD cards are inferior for folding I will most likely not purchase them until they yield equal or better performance for that application). In the mean time I have to get together the case and all of the watercooling components so it can be together ASAP. I'm looking to build something that will blow my current rig
out of the water in terms of cooling and potential cooling ability and raw performance. I'll begin collecting components starting this week and will post updates regularly. I am attempting to design an optimal cooling setup for a rig with dual xeons and 4 way sli. This setup will be run 24/7 for folding@home just like my sig rig with occasional gaming thrown in when I have time between lawschool classes. I know there are a fair bit of you who are familiar with my last build, you will not be disappointed with this one. I promise it'll make Project Atlantis
look like a dell budget box.
I'm through playing around with watercooling. I really want to see how much potential it really has as a cooling method. I'm aiming for a consistent 2C or lower water/air delta over both loops. I will attempt to change fans as necessary to achieve this. TDP of the system will be limited to 1600 watts (the peak of the silverstone ST1500 psu). Should have no problem supplying the power for it since it will be running off a 220v connection. My current setup is great and performs awesome, but I'm looking for something better, something that boutique pc makers wouldn't dare build. I'm hoping to make it the epitome of what OCN water-cooling section stands for.
Using all of the parts listed below TDP water/air delta will be between 2.7-3.7C
and idle temps (assuming 1/3 power consumption compared to TDP) should be around 1C-2C
Table of Contents
The First Obstacle
Parts Begin Arriving
Where Do I Put It All?
OMG the TUBEZ!!!
Controllable Gusts of Wind
More and More Parts
Pump Parts and Assembly
Enclosing it All
The Perfect Pair
How Many Can I Fit?
Controlling and Storage
Gettin the ball rollin again
Let's Route Some Tubing
Custom Top Panel
Starting the Custom Wires
All comments and suggestions are welcome. I will attempt to do OCN proud.
If you don't like overkill then you're in the wrong thread and this is what I think of you!
All parts are ones that I have worked with before in some manner and have earned the fat_italian_stallion seal of approval
If anyone can find any of these parts cheaper than what I have listed please let me know. It will be a great help getting this build completed and will be greatly appreciated.
Forced to edit parts list thanks to EK making crappy products as of late. I don't trust the blocks not to flake nickel in to the system so I will NOT be using any EK products in this build. Suggestions on CPU blocks will be greatly appreciated.
Click for Current Progress (Updated Daily*)
Parts will be crossed out once ordered and starred once acquired
*Case: Danger Den Tower 29 (Nightmare Black Color Scheme and 2x single 5.25 bay cutouts.)
*Feet: 4x MNPC Tech Black Billet Aluminum Case Feet
*Fan Controller: Lamptron FC-8
*Radiators: 6x Hardware Labs Black Ice GTX 560 Radiator, 2x Black Ice GTX 280 Radiator, 1x Black Ice GTX 140
*Pumps: 2x MCP 655
*Pump Dressup kit: 2x Bitspower Matte Black D5 dress up kit
*Pumptop: Bitspower dual top
*Fans: 32x 140mm Noiseblocker pk-3 1700 rpm fan
*Tubing: PrimoFlex Pro LRT Black Tubing -1/2in. ID X 3/4in. OD
*Reservoir: Phobya Balancer 450
*PSU: Silverstone Strider ST1500
- Hardware Labs Black ICE GTX560:$169.95- Jab-tech
- Hardware Labs Black Ice GTX280: $95.99 - SVC
- Hardware Labs Black ICE GTX140:$69.95- Jab-tech
- Phobya Balancer 450 Black nickel: $47.99 - Frozencpu
- Bitspower BP-2D5TOPP-BK Dual D5 Mod Top (POM Version): $99.99 Frozencpu
- Lamptron FC-8: $67.00 - Aquatuning
- Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPro PK-3 140mm x 25mm Ultra Quiet Fan - 1700 RPM: $20.16 Aquatuning
- MNPCTech Billet Machined Aluminum Case Feet w/ Diamond Cut Edges (Set of 4) - Black: $34.99 MNPCtech
- Swiftech MCP 655: $65.95 Sidewindercomputers
- Bitspower D5 Matt Black Mod Kit: $42.95 Sidewindercomputers
- Bitspower Matte Black 1/2in ID - 3/4in OD Rotary 45 Degree Compression Fitting- BP-MB45R2CPF-CC5: $16.95 - Sidewindercomputers
- Bitspower Matt Black 1/2in. Compression Fittings for 3/4in. OD Tubing # BP-MBCPF-CC5: $7.95 - Sidewindercomputers
- Bitspower Matte Black Rotary 90 Degree Compression - 1/2 x 3/4in - BP-MB90R2LCPF-CC5: $16.25 - Sidewindercomputers
- PrimoFlex Pro LRT Black Tubing -1/2in. ID X 3/4in. OD (10ft): $16.25 - Amazon
- MIPS RAM and Mobo Blocks???? - MIPS/ Frozencpu
- 2x Aquacomputer Cuplex Kryos .925: $280.24 - Aquatuning
6x Phobya Y-Cable 3Pin Molex to 4x 3Pin Molex 60cm - Black, 2x Phobya Y-Cable 3Pin Molex to 6x 3Pin Molex 60cm - Black
*Bluray Burner: Plextor B940SA
*Fittings: Bitspower 1/2" ID 3/4" OD Rotary Compression Fittings
Aquatuning Cuplex Kryos XT.925
4x Western Digital 2TB Black Sata 6.0, 2x 3TB Green, 2/4x SSds (whatever is best at the exact time of build. Probably vertex 3s)
6x HP ZR2440W
Ergotech Hex 3 over 3
32GB Corsair Dominator GT PC-19200 (2400MHz). If Corsair releases 8GB sticks in time I will be getting those for a total of 64GB.