New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Raid10 or Raid6 - Page 2

post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyladouche;13311573 
With modern controllers, there shouldn't be any noticeable difference in speed between RAID 6 and 10, and 6 offers more parity verification as you could lose up to half of the drives and still retain data on the array.

Come again? RAID-6 allows you to lose up to HALF the drives? That's true if you're running a 4-drive RAID-6 array, but not if you're running a 8-drive RAID-6 array. RAID-6 allows the loss of up to 2xHDDs.

RAID-10 can withstand up to a 50% loss, but only on very specific drives. If you have both disks in a RAID-1 member set fail, you're still screwed.
ESXi Host 1
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
(2x) Intel Xeon E5520 Dell OnBoard Matrox G200 24GB DDR3 12x2GB UDIMMS (18 slots total) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
PERC6-RAID50 Intel 730 480GB Intel 320 300GB Synology DS414 iSCSI SAN 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
VMWare vSphere5 Enterprise Plus Dell iDRAC6 Remote Management [KVM-Over-IP] Dell iDRAC6 KVM Dell Hot-Swap Redundant 1100W 
CaseMouse
Dell PowerEdge T710 Stock Dell iDRAC6 KVM 
  hide details  
Reply
ESXi Host 1
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
(2x) Intel Xeon E5520 Dell OnBoard Matrox G200 24GB DDR3 12x2GB UDIMMS (18 slots total) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
PERC6-RAID50 Intel 730 480GB Intel 320 300GB Synology DS414 iSCSI SAN 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
VMWare vSphere5 Enterprise Plus Dell iDRAC6 Remote Management [KVM-Over-IP] Dell iDRAC6 KVM Dell Hot-Swap Redundant 1100W 
CaseMouse
Dell PowerEdge T710 Stock Dell iDRAC6 KVM 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComGuards;13314031 
Come again? RAID-6 allows you to lose up to HALF the drives? That's true if you're running a 4-drive RAID-6 array, but not if you're running a 8-drive RAID-6 array. RAID-6 allows the loss of up to 2xHDDs.

RAID-10 can withstand up to a 50% loss, but only on very specific drives. If you have both disks in a RAID-1 member set fail, you're still screwed.

6x1TB drives minus 2 used for parity leaves 4 usable drives, so you could literally lose half of them and still retain all of the data--I should have specified usable drives (was talking about the OP's specific case of 6 drives). Agreed, lose 3 (or more), and you're boned.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyladouche;13314751 
6x1TB drives minus 2 used for parity leaves 4 usable drives, so you could literally lose half of them and still retain all of the data--I should have specified usable drives (was talking about the OP's specific case of 6 drives). Agreed, lose 3 (or more), and you're boned.

Fair enough. I would still suggest that we don't use the terms "usable" or "parity" drives though, since the parity blocks are spread out across ALL of the spindles... so ultimately if you lose "any 3 drives", you're SOL... cool.gif
ESXi Host 1
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
(2x) Intel Xeon E5520 Dell OnBoard Matrox G200 24GB DDR3 12x2GB UDIMMS (18 slots total) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
PERC6-RAID50 Intel 730 480GB Intel 320 300GB Synology DS414 iSCSI SAN 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
VMWare vSphere5 Enterprise Plus Dell iDRAC6 Remote Management [KVM-Over-IP] Dell iDRAC6 KVM Dell Hot-Swap Redundant 1100W 
CaseMouse
Dell PowerEdge T710 Stock Dell iDRAC6 KVM 
  hide details  
Reply
ESXi Host 1
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
(2x) Intel Xeon E5520 Dell OnBoard Matrox G200 24GB DDR3 12x2GB UDIMMS (18 slots total) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
PERC6-RAID50 Intel 730 480GB Intel 320 300GB Synology DS414 iSCSI SAN 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
VMWare vSphere5 Enterprise Plus Dell iDRAC6 Remote Management [KVM-Over-IP] Dell iDRAC6 KVM Dell Hot-Swap Redundant 1100W 
CaseMouse
Dell PowerEdge T710 Stock Dell iDRAC6 KVM 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 
I decided to go with RAID10 becuse everyone tells me that 10 is faster then 5 is that true? I don't have money for controller now so I will setup RAID10 on motherboard and backup data to 1x3TB just in case and later I will transfer everything on controller. Oh yes one more thing what about booting from 3TB partition in Win7 x64 will I have problems?
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickso;13352674 
I decided to go with RAID10 becuse everyone tells me that 10 is faster then 5 is that true? I don't have money for controller now so I will setup RAID10 on motherboard and backup data to 1x3TB just in case and later I will transfer everything on controller. Oh yes one more thing what about booting from 3TB partition in Win7 x64 will I have problems?

your main problem will be that it won't work. Can't boot from 2TB+ without UEFI...

I have to question why you want to go this route with your storage - an SSD for your OS plus another drive (or 2-drive RAID0) for larger games/storage, together with a 2TB drive for backup will cost the same but be much faster...
post #16 of 16
Thread Starter 
what is UEFI? how to make that work on my motherboard?
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3107#ov

That is not bad idea for ssd but I had RAID0 and I lost everything I want whole data to be secured and I dont want to do backups manually every day and you just don't know when your hard drive will fail to work. But what do you think about 2SSD in RAID0 and 4x1TB in RAID10 plus 1x3TB for backup
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: RAID Controllers and Software