Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Would this loop work?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Would this loop work?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
I want my CPU cooler than my GPU, so I want the CPU to be the first target of the radiator-cooled water:



Would this work?
post #2 of 10
Of course it would work, although the water will not be that much cooler than if you went GPU first:

It takes ~250W to heat water by 1°C at 1GPM (I think I'll add this to my sig) Edit: Done /edit

So with your 5850's stock TDP of 150W, even if your OC added another 100W, the water would only be 1°C warmer...
Edited by GingerJohn - 4/28/11 at 9:04pm
Main
(21 items)
 
HTPC
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2550k P8P67 Pro Sapphire HD 7950 G.Skill RipJaws X 1600 Cas 9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Force 120 WD Blue 500GB WD Caviar Green 1TB XSPC RayStorm 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
RX240 MCR 220 EK 7950 Copper Acetal  DDC-1T 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64-bit Dell U2311H Oculus Rift DK2 Ducky Shine 3 MX Brown 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX 750W CoolerMaster CM690 II G500 Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 
Audio
Asus Xonar DX 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
A10-6800K Gigabyte GA-F2A85XN-WIFI G Skill 1600 CAS9 Kingston SSD Now 60GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Blue 1TB LG Slim Blu-Ray player Silverstone NT06-PRO  Widows 7 Home Premium 
PowerCase
Silverstone Sfx Series ST45SF 450W Silverstone SG05 
  hide details  
Reply
Main
(21 items)
 
HTPC
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2550k P8P67 Pro Sapphire HD 7950 G.Skill RipJaws X 1600 Cas 9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Force 120 WD Blue 500GB WD Caviar Green 1TB XSPC RayStorm 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
RX240 MCR 220 EK 7950 Copper Acetal  DDC-1T 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64-bit Dell U2311H Oculus Rift DK2 Ducky Shine 3 MX Brown 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX 750W CoolerMaster CM690 II G500 Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 
Audio
Asus Xonar DX 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
A10-6800K Gigabyte GA-F2A85XN-WIFI G Skill 1600 CAS9 Kingston SSD Now 60GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Blue 1TB LG Slim Blu-Ray player Silverstone NT06-PRO  Widows 7 Home Premium 
PowerCase
Silverstone Sfx Series ST45SF 450W Silverstone SG05 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 10
That loop looks fine. Remember that loop order does not matter.
Project 4
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 Lynnfield @ 4.4 GHz, 1.41v EVGA P55 SLi (132-LF-E655-KR) - A72 BIOS EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 9-9-9-24, 1.51V 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80GB Intel X25-M SSD + 500GB WD + 2TB Samsung F3 Samsung Super Writemaster DVD+-R Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Samsung SyncMaster 2433 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair TX750 750W Corsair Obsidian 800D + Scythe Kaze Master Ace Razer Deathadder Respawn - Black 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries QcK Medium - Black 
  hide details  
Reply
Project 4
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 Lynnfield @ 4.4 GHz, 1.41v EVGA P55 SLi (132-LF-E655-KR) - A72 BIOS EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 9-9-9-24, 1.51V 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80GB Intel X25-M SSD + 500GB WD + 2TB Samsung F3 Samsung Super Writemaster DVD+-R Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Samsung SyncMaster 2433 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair TX750 750W Corsair Obsidian 800D + Scythe Kaze Master Ace Razer Deathadder Respawn - Black 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries QcK Medium - Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jNSK View Post
That loop looks fine. Remember that loop order does not matter.
What if you had more than 1 rad?
Would you have lower temperatures if you did...

CPU > RX240 > GPU1 > RX240 > GPU2 > RX240
instead of...
CPU > GPU1 > GPU2 > RX240 > RX240 > RX240
? The way I see it is that the water would be cooled each time it heated up in the first loop... rather than the second loop where the heat accumulates. So wouldn't the GPUs in the first loop run cooler than the GPUs in the second loop?
Neutrality
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-7700K ASUS Z170‑K EVGA 980ti w/ EK WB 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2x OZC Arc 100 240GB, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB,... EK Supremacy EVO + Alphacool UT60 240mm/360mm +... Windows 10 24" Asus VG248QE 144hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Quickfire Pro MX Black Corsair HX750 Modified HAF 932 Zowie FK1 
AudioAudio
Audio Technica AD700 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Neutrality
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-7700K ASUS Z170‑K EVGA 980ti w/ EK WB 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2x OZC Arc 100 240GB, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB,... EK Supremacy EVO + Alphacool UT60 240mm/360mm +... Windows 10 24" Asus VG248QE 144hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Quickfire Pro MX Black Corsair HX750 Modified HAF 932 Zowie FK1 
AudioAudio
Audio Technica AD700 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buska103 View Post
What if you had more than 1 rad?
Would you have lower temperatures if you did...

CPU > RX240 > GPU1 > RX240 > GPU2 > RX240
instead of...
CPU > GPU1 > GPU2 > RX240 > RX240 > RX240
? The way I see it is that the water would be cooled each time it heated up in the first loop... rather than the second loop where the heat accumulates. So wouldn't the GPUs in the first loop run cooler than the GPUs in the second loop?
No, the temp of the water doesn't change enough to see a noticeable difference.

What you will see is a gradual increase in coolant temps as your loop forms an equilibrium with the ambient... the more rads you have, the lower the temp difference (to ambient), but it doesn't matter where they are.
Edited by Crabid - 4/29/11 at 4:10am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e5645 @ 4.2Ghz P6X58D-E 5450 x2 6Gb Corsair Dominator 1600 
CoolingOSPowerCase
ALPENFOHN K2 Windows 7 Pro Antec Truepower Trio 650W Dell Optiplex 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e5645 @ 4.2Ghz P6X58D-E 5450 x2 6Gb Corsair Dominator 1600 
CoolingOSPowerCase
ALPENFOHN K2 Windows 7 Pro Antec Truepower Trio 650W Dell Optiplex 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerJohn View Post
Of course it would work, although the water will not be that much cooler than if you went GPU first:

It takes ~250W to heat water by 1°C at 1GPM (I think I'll add this to my sig) Edit: Done /edit

So with your 5850's stock TDP of 150W, even if your OC added another 100W, the water would only be 1°C warmer...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jNSK View Post
That loop looks fine. Remember that loop order does not matter.
So if I went:
Res/pump-->CPU-->GPU-->rad
it would yield the same temps as:
Res/pump-->GPU-->CPU--rad?

In other words, if loop order doesn't matter, does that mean all my components will have the same temp regardless of what order it's in?
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiasian View Post
So if I went:
Res/pump-->CPU-->GPU-->rad
it would yield the same temps as:
Res/pump-->GPU-->CPU--rad?

In other words, if loop order doesn't matter, does that mean all my components will have the same temp regardless of what order it's in?
Correct

I just added my GPU to my loop, and put it before the CPU, and my CPU temps have only increased proportional to the heat generated by the card put on the loop as a whole, i.e. the loop water increased by 1-2 degrees c (relative to room temperature), and my CPU temps are the same or a degree warmer (again relative to air temperature).

I've seen in my own research for my loop that there is maybe a 1-2 degree difference between any two points in the cooling loop.
post #8 of 10
Yeah, due the thermal equilibrium in the loop no matter what the order everything will eventually even out.

The only thing that matters is that your res is before your pump, or in other words, your pump does not lead directly into you res.

If you even need to ask a few WC questions, just take a look in my sig, I have a thread which is an on going Q+A and help thread.

post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.GumbyM.D. View Post
Correct

I just added my GPU to my loop, and put it before the CPU, and my CPU temps have only increased proportional to the heat generated by the card put on the loop as a whole, i.e. the loop water increased by 1-2 degrees c (relative to room temperature), and my CPU temps are the same or a degree warmer (again relative to air temperature).

I've seen in my own research for my loop that there is maybe a 1-2 degree difference between any two points in the cooling loop.
Doesn't this defeat the purpose of water cooling in general?
If you could for example transfer more heat to the water, wouldn't that yield better temps on your CPU/GPU?
If the water temperature is only increasing by 1-2c at once, we aren't getting maximum cooling performance right?

Excuse my evidently lacking knowledge of physics..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0st. View Post
Yeah, due the thermal equilibrium in the loop no matter what the order everything will eventually even out.

The only thing that matters is that your res is before your pump, or in other words, your pump does not lead directly into you res.

If you even need to ask a few WC questions, just take a look in my sig, I have a thread which is an on going Q+A and help thread.

Thanks.
Is it ok if the rad leads directly into the pump, like in the sketch?
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiasian View Post
Doesn't this defeat the purpose of water cooling in general?
If you could for example transfer more heat to the water, wouldn't that yield better temps on your CPU/GPU?
If the water temperature is only increasing by 1-2c at once, we aren't getting maximum cooling performance right?

Excuse my evidently lacking knowledge of physics..



Thanks.
Is it ok if the rad leads directly into the pump, like in the sketch?
Yep, that's perfectly fine.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Would this loop work?