Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › What do you think of this build?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What do you think of this build? - Page 2

post #11 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyRory View Post
I got a Logisys 600w ATX Power Supply W/ SATA. My Case is a MicroATX, but I measured the one that came in the case (old 160w psu) and it was the same size, so it will fit in the case just fine. The ebay page I bought it from is now gone because it was one of those users who sells 1 item at a time, so I can't link the page. If somebody knows what this PSU is like please tell me, if it's decent I'll just keep it and use some extreme fan cooling for everything else most likely.
Is it this unit by any chance?
If so... uh-oh.
post #12 of 33
thats a terribad PSU. Dont listen to any other computer related advice from your "gamer friend"

This Antec Neo Eco is immensely better and overkill for your rig. With MIR and Promo its $45

As a real quick and dirty comparison: The 12v on that "600w" logisys has 25A vs my Antec EA-380D 380w i bought for a budget rig with 32A on the 12v.

Return what you have and buy a decent PSU.
Here use this PSU FAQ

Anything from the 400w section on up.


FYI the reason PSU calculators say you need a 500w PSU for that system is because a lot of less then desirable (read: crap) PSU's are WAAAY over rated, or make a ton of power in the 3v 5v range where you dont need it (old designs). My 380w antec would run your system, and do so with a cleaner power delivery (ie more stable), and less heat output then your 600w Logisys PSU.
Edited by LuckySe7ens - 4/29/11 at 12:50pm
Pre OCN build
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom ii B97 ECS A970M-A AM3+ EVGA GXT 460 2x4gb adata 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex 4 Samsung F3 1TB Samsung f3 1tb Samsung HD155UI 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
Super Writemaster DVDr Windows 7 Samsung Syncmaster Antec Basiq power 550 + 
Case
Bitfenix Raider 
  hide details  
Reply
Pre OCN build
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom ii B97 ECS A970M-A AM3+ EVGA GXT 460 2x4gb adata 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex 4 Samsung F3 1TB Samsung f3 1tb Samsung HD155UI 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
Super Writemaster DVDr Windows 7 Samsung Syncmaster Antec Basiq power 550 + 
Case
Bitfenix Raider 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckySe7ens View Post
thats a terribad PSU. Dont listen to any other computer related advice from your "gamer friend"

This Antec Neo Eco is immensely better and overkill for your rig. With MIR and Promo its $45

As a real quick and dirty comparison: The 12v on that "600w" logisys has 25A vs my Antec EA-380D 380w i bought for a budget rig with 32A on the 12v.

Return what you have and buy a decent PSU.
Here use this PSU FAQ

Anything from the 400w section on up.


FYI the reason PSU calculators say you need a 500w PSU for that system is because a lot of less then desirable (read: crap) PSU's are WAAAY over rated, or make a ton of power in the 3v 5v range where you dont need it (old designs). My 380w antec would run your system, and do so with a cleaner power delivery (ie more stable), and less heat output then your 600w Logisys PSU.
I bought it from ebay, do I just ship it back in order to return it?
Rig v2
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 EVGA GTX 780 2 x 8gb 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSCase
Western Digital 2tb Black 7200RPM Samsung 120GB SSD Windows 7 HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
Rig v2
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 EVGA GTX 780 2 x 8gb 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSCase
Western Digital 2tb Black 7200RPM Samsung 120GB SSD Windows 7 HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 33
contact the seller and see how they handle returns


i got one of these for a friend
XIGMATEK ACXTNRP-PC502 500W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817815008
$47/27ar

its a decent 500w psu for that price
post #15 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffejrxx View Post
contact the seller and see how they handle returns


i got one of these for a friend
XIGMATEK ACXTNRP-PC502 500W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817815008
$47/27ar

its a decent 500w psu for that price
I think I'm just going to go to the overkill psu that was mentioned earlier because when I get my money back in my PayPal, it's the same price, plus it has a good fan it looks like so it would help me cool the machine.

So here is the build:

Mobo:

GA-MA78LMT-S2 AM3 760G mATX AMD Motherboard

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0350746

Processor:

Phenom II X4 975 Black Edition 3.6GHz Quad-Core Boxed Processor

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0355997

(I'm buying the moterboard and the cpu in a combo deal for $150.)

Hard Drive:

HITACHI HDS721050CLA362 (0F10381) 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145299

RAM:

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-189-_-Product

Graphics Card:

SAPPHIRE 100282XTREME Radeon HD 5850 Xtreme 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102932

Power Supply:

Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371031

Disc Drive:

LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-289-_-Product

Is this what I should buy? Good performance on games?

This is costing me about $470, a little more because of shipping with newegg and tax and/or shipping on the combo deal.

I know I also have to buy a fan for the case, but I'll figure that out once I've gotten all the main components figured out.
Edited by BloodyRory - 4/30/11 at 7:45am
Rig v2
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 EVGA GTX 780 2 x 8gb 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSCase
Western Digital 2tb Black 7200RPM Samsung 120GB SSD Windows 7 HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
Rig v2
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 EVGA GTX 780 2 x 8gb 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSCase
Western Digital 2tb Black 7200RPM Samsung 120GB SSD Windows 7 HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyRory View Post
I think I'm just going to go to the overkill psu that was mentioned earlier because when I get my money back in my PayPal, it's the same price, plus it has a good fan it looks like so it would help me cool the machine.

So here is the build:

Mobo:

GA-MA78LMT-S2 AM3 760G mATX AMD Motherboard

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0350746

Processor:

Phenom II X4 975 Black Edition 3.6GHz Quad-Core Boxed Processor

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0355997

(I'm buying the moterboard and the cpu in a combo deal for $150.)

Hard Drive:

HITACHI HDS721050CLA362 (0F10381) 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145299

RAM:

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-189-_-Product

Graphics Card:

SAPPHIRE 100282XTREME Radeon HD 5850 Xtreme 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102932

Power Supply:

Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371031

Disc Drive:

LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-289-_-Product

Is this what I should buy? Good performance on games?

This is costing me about $470, a little more because of shipping with newegg and tax and/or shipping on the combo deal.

I know I also have to buy a fan for the case, but I'll figure that out once I've gotten all the main components figured out.
Let me help you out a bit.

Mobo/CPU:
Use your money wisely and go with the PII X4 840 / M4A88TD evo combo :$170 dollar bundle The one you have pairs a 125w processor with a 3+1 power phase - even without overclocking, this is not wise. The mobo and psu are the heart of your system and you will kick yourself if you compromise either of these.

Ram:
CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB (2 x 2GB) $30 after mir for 1600MHz and Cas8

PSU:
OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W $40 after mir and promo code: EMCKFHD36 (ends 5/2) PSU comes down to preference, but I like the modular ones after having both.

HDD:
$61 shipped (no tax) - much faster, larger, and more reliable

Keep the Saphire 5850 for $140 and the cheapest optical drive you can find.

Total shipped (after mirs) = $462 (add $50 before mirs)
It's so little!
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4670k Asrock Z87E Asus r9 280x samsung 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
samsung 840 samsung  Thermaltake water 3.0 win7 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
viewsonic 27" Cooler master qfr cooler master 700 corsair 250d 
MouseMouse PadAudio
anker vertical ocz sony 5.25" bookshelfs 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
960t M4A89GTD-proUSB3 pny 660Ti samsung wonder ram 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
1TB Samsung F3 Samsung 840 250GB LG external DVD/R 212 evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 ViewSonic ViewSonic VX2739wm model m Cooler Master Silent Pro 700 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li A05FNB (flipped to A05NB) Razer Deathadder Black edt. OCZ behemoth Audio Technica ATH-AD500 
AudioAudioAudio
JVC HA-RX500 Dayton Audio Bookshelfs Lepai LP2020+ 
  hide details  
Reply
It's so little!
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4670k Asrock Z87E Asus r9 280x samsung 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
samsung 840 samsung  Thermaltake water 3.0 win7 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
viewsonic 27" Cooler master qfr cooler master 700 corsair 250d 
MouseMouse PadAudio
anker vertical ocz sony 5.25" bookshelfs 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
960t M4A89GTD-proUSB3 pny 660Ti samsung wonder ram 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
1TB Samsung F3 Samsung 840 250GB LG external DVD/R 212 evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 ViewSonic ViewSonic VX2739wm model m Cooler Master Silent Pro 700 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li A05FNB (flipped to A05NB) Razer Deathadder Black edt. OCZ behemoth Audio Technica ATH-AD500 
AudioAudioAudio
JVC HA-RX500 Dayton Audio Bookshelfs Lepai LP2020+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 33
The Phenom II x4 975 is incompatible with that motherboard. Gigabyte 3+1 phase motherboards are not compatible with 125W processors. Whoever's trying to sell you that combo is ripping you off.

This RAM is better for a lower price
Edited by xd_1771 - 4/30/11 at 4:09pm
post #18 of 33
Dante's Inferno
(28 items)
 
Paradise Lost
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500k 4.7 GHz Asrock P67 Extreme 4 Gen 3 BIOS 2.10 XFX Radeon HD 6950 2GB  XFX Radeon HD 6950 2GB  
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G Skill Sniper 8 Gigs 1600 MHz Crucial M4 64GB SATA III  Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Backup Plus 1TB USB 3.0 LITE-ON 24X DVD/CD LITE-ON 24X DVD/CD 5,000 BTU AC & NH-D14 Summer 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
80 CFM Fan In Window With 90 Deg Vent Winter Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1 x64 Asus VE245 1080P Razer Lycosa Mirror Edition 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
1200 Watt Antec True Power Quattro Corsair 800D 8 Fans Full Blast Razer Abyssus Razer Vespula 
AudioAudioAudioOther
7.1 CH HD Audio With THX TruStudio™ Logitech H390 USB Headset Logitech 5.1 X-530 & Sony MDR-V150 Dynamic Ster... Rheobus Extreme 6 Speed Fan Controller 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 2 GHz Intel D946GZIS On Board 3 Gig's Kingston PC2-5300 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital 160 Gig Writemaster DVD/CD R&W Stock Intel Windows Vista SP 2 x86 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
I-INC iF171A HP KB-0316 BFG 450 Watt Black 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 Dasher Tt On Board Logitech Z130 
Audio
Logitech H390 USB Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
Dante's Inferno
(28 items)
 
Paradise Lost
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500k 4.7 GHz Asrock P67 Extreme 4 Gen 3 BIOS 2.10 XFX Radeon HD 6950 2GB  XFX Radeon HD 6950 2GB  
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G Skill Sniper 8 Gigs 1600 MHz Crucial M4 64GB SATA III  Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Backup Plus 1TB USB 3.0 LITE-ON 24X DVD/CD LITE-ON 24X DVD/CD 5,000 BTU AC & NH-D14 Summer 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
80 CFM Fan In Window With 90 Deg Vent Winter Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1 x64 Asus VE245 1080P Razer Lycosa Mirror Edition 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
1200 Watt Antec True Power Quattro Corsair 800D 8 Fans Full Blast Razer Abyssus Razer Vespula 
AudioAudioAudioOther
7.1 CH HD Audio With THX TruStudio™ Logitech H390 USB Headset Logitech 5.1 X-530 & Sony MDR-V150 Dynamic Ster... Rheobus Extreme 6 Speed Fan Controller 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 2 GHz Intel D946GZIS On Board 3 Gig's Kingston PC2-5300 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital 160 Gig Writemaster DVD/CD R&W Stock Intel Windows Vista SP 2 x86 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
I-INC iF171A HP KB-0316 BFG 450 Watt Black 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 Dasher Tt On Board Logitech Z130 
Audio
Logitech H390 USB Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badwrench View Post
Let me help you out a bit.

Mobo/CPU:
Use your money wisely and go with the PII X4 840 / M4A88TD evo combo :$170 dollar bundle The one you have pairs a 125w processor with a 3+1 power phase - even without overclocking, this is not wise. The mobo and psu are the heart of your system and you will kick yourself if you compromise either of these.

Ram:
CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB (2 x 2GB) $30 after mir for 1600MHz and Cas8

PSU:
OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W $40 after mir and promo code: EMCKFHD36 (ends 5/2) PSU comes down to preference, but I like the modular ones after having both.

HDD:
Samsung F3 1tb $61 shipped (no tax) - much faster, larger, and more reliable

Keep the Saphire 5850 for $140 and the cheapest optical drive you can find.

Total shipped (after mirs) = $462 (add $50 before mirs)
Alright I'll think about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
The Phenom II x4 975 is incompatible with that motherboard. Gigabyte 3+1 phase motherboards are not compatible with 125W processors. Whoever's trying to sell you that combo is ripping you off.

This RAM is better for a lower price
Do you mean the original motherboard that I listed or the one that Badwrench listed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by langer1972 View Post
That's a bit high for me to be honest. Honestly I don't need the Sata 6 gb/s or any of that, a basic gaming rig with a good enough graphics card will do me just fine.
Rig v2
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 EVGA GTX 780 2 x 8gb 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSCase
Western Digital 2tb Black 7200RPM Samsung 120GB SSD Windows 7 HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
Rig v2
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 EVGA GTX 780 2 x 8gb 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSCase
Western Digital 2tb Black 7200RPM Samsung 120GB SSD Windows 7 HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 33
He means the original 1 you listed
Ronin
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Crosshair III Formula Radeon HD 5850 x2 Mushkin 1600 7-9-7-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
128GB Plextor ssd 500 GB WD Lite-ON multi-drive Corsair H100 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 28" Hanns-G G110 Corsair HX850w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
HAF 932 G500 X Trac pad Steelseries 
  hide details  
Reply
Ronin
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Crosshair III Formula Radeon HD 5850 x2 Mushkin 1600 7-9-7-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
128GB Plextor ssd 500 GB WD Lite-ON multi-drive Corsair H100 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 28" Hanns-G G110 Corsair HX850w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
HAF 932 G500 X Trac pad Steelseries 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD - General
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › What do you think of this build?