Overclock.net banner

[Siliconera] Capcom’s Svensson: “PC Gaming’s Profile Is Growing At Capcom”

2K views 41 replies 29 participants last post by  FenrirXIII 
#1 ·
Quote:

From the moment I walked in nearly six years ago, I viewed PC as extremely important for the company, not just to grow a new audience for our brands, but because of what the PC market teaches a company.

But PC gaming’s profile is growing at Capcom. Both I in the US and our European team continue to request PC SKUs for new titles. We’ve got more titles coming with PC versions than ever before (e.g. RE: Operation Racoon City, Dead Rising 2: Off the Record, Super Street Fighter IV: AE, etc.). At greenlight meetings, our Japanese COO is often one of the first people to ask the producer for a PC version.

Source

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono Detector;13326240
I want them to port Marvel vs Capcom 3 into PC please.
This. It will most likely happen because Super Street Fighter 4: AE and Tekken X Street Fighter are both coming to PC.

#7 ·
After DMC4 and RE5, the two best PC ports to ever grace gaming, I happily accept.
biggrin.gif

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaNemesis28;13326663
After DMC4 and RE5, the two best PC ports to ever grace gaming, I happily accept.
biggrin.gif
This ^^

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nyder
View Post

2 years ago Capcom was talking about not doing PC games anymore because of Piracy.

These dudes change their toons based on money, not on pleasing their consumers.

Capcom games = really crappy console ports.

***? have you played capcom games recently on pc? they're awesome! res 5 is great on pc.

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Razi3l
View Post

I will only love Capcom the day they release Monster Hunter Frontier to the rest of the world.. Seriously.. how many effing years has it been Capcom..

They're really missing out on a big opportunity. I bet MH fans would spend loads on that game.

Also, good news I guess. I recall them whining about piracy and refusing Steam before but it looks like their tune has changed.

#16 ·
Quote:

View Post

2 years ago Capcom was talking about not doing PC games anymore because of Piracy.

Well I am not going to be rude on my reply because you are part of the 3D Vision club plus have a Commodore 64 tag...that deserves respect but your comment makes no sense mate.....they changed their mind to a much better way of thinking for us and yet you complain? Like you have never changed your mind in your life right?

Plus the crappy console ports comment= you have not played any of those games....

#17 ·
Quote:

View Post

Console ports, definitely, but "really crappy?" Have you played any of Capcom's recent PC games?

DMC4 got new modes and took advantage of PC's extra power by allowing more enemies on screen, while Street Fighter IV and Resident Evil 5 were just top notch ports.

It's sad that a port gains the "crappy" descriptor based on visuals alone (which might I add weren't even remotely bad), despite being rock solid in the gameplay/polish department.

#18 ·
Quote:

View Post

roflmao!
Priceless.

DMC4 = fantastic visuals even though it's a dated game, DX10, extra features on the PC, perfect controls on the PC, and has the best performance I've ever seen on a PC video game. Older, outdated hardware can easily hit 100FPS solid on a high resolution with DX10. It's one of the only real DX10 games where you get extra visuals but better performance with the API as intended. My rig gets almost 400+ FPS in the game, and it's still to this day a very visual powerhouse.

RE5 = same case as DMC4. DX10, extra features on the PC, perfect controls, AWESOME performance again (bit more demanding than DMC4 obviously), is one of the best looking video games ever, also again one of the only real DX10 games where you get better performance with the API as intended, none of the DLC on the consoles you had to pay for on the PC with the exception of the expansion packs, you also get 3D too.

SF4 = fantastic port with great visuals and control layout as well. The multiplayer part needed some work if I recall, but that was the same across every platform. I'm not a big fighting game buff guy.

LP1 = Capcom's first real attempt at a PC port and it was fantastic. Amazing visuals and DX10 brought additional visuals too. The control layout needed some work especially with the 360 controller buttons in place, and the performance of the game was very demanding, but it was still a solid port that made it the best one to get. Multiplayer on all platforms did work either.

LP2 = DX11 visuals, pretty good performance, and better controller layout. Game itself as a whole, imo, was meh but regardless it was a solid port like LP1.

#19 ·
In terms of porting console game to PC, Capcom is really the best.

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by OmegaNemesis28
View Post

roflmao!
Priceless.

RE5 = same case as DMC4. DX10, extra features on the PC, perfect controls, AWESOME performance again (bit more demanding than DMC4 obviously), is one of the best looking video games ever, also again one of the only real DX10 games where you get extra visuals but better performance with the API as intended, none of the DLC on the consoles you had to pay for on the PC with the exception of the expansion packs, you also get 3D too.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...-5,2409-4.html

Quote:

As far as we can tell, not a heck of a lot. This is unexpected because of the substantial performance hit that the DirectX 10 render path imposes on Radeon cards, which is very strange and puzzling.

Intrigued by these results, we asked a Capcom representative to connect us with the game's programmers to find out exactly what kind of extra processing was going on under DirectX 10, and what we should look for in order to qualify it. It took the firm a little while to get an answer for us due to some translation issues, but it responded with the following note:

"Sorry, but the response from the team is not very exciting: simple answer for both, [no] new content, or shaders, [or] effects added to Direct[X] 10.

Benefits for the DirectX 10 users: nothing special, no enhancement.

I can tell you that Nvidia's GeForce 3D Vision LCD glasses require DX10, so there's a definite need to be on Vista in order to see the incredible 3D effects in action."

This explains a lot, actually: we're not seeing any difference between the DirectX 9 and 10 screenshots because there's no difference to see.

yeah, they really took advantage of dx10 to the best we have ever seen in a game. YAWN.

This would be exciting news to me if capcom actually made games i enjoy. Good for the rest of you i suppose.

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vhati
View Post

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...-5,2409-4.html

yeah, they really took advantage of dx10 to the best we have ever seen in a game. YAWN.

This would be exciting news to me if capcom actually made games i enjoy. Good for the rest of you i suppose.

dont need to be negative...even if there was a difference between dx9 and dx10
or not...
but the games did look fanstastic and gave insane fps,even on low end rigs.....
thats why most of us call capcom's ports ""the best""...
and liking a game or not is irrelevant....

i loved dmc franchise but i dont like re franchise...so i suppose its a matter of personal taste....

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghost_z
View Post

dont need to be negative...even if there was a difference between dx9 and dx10
or not...
but the games did look fanstastic and gave insane fps,even on low end rigs.....
thats why most of us call capcom's ports ""the best""...
and liking a game or not is irrelevant....

i loved dmc franchise but i dont like re franchise...so i suppose its a matter of personal taste....

i just dont like when people post false information. There is zero graphical difference between dx9 and 10 in RE5.

Thnx for the insane frame rates, but you would think that they could have upped the poly counts or given some better dx10 support to actually put those graphics to better use. RE5 was a great looking console game, but an average looking PC game.

and as i said before. i wasnt negative about anything, although I would be excited if capcom MADE GAMES I LIKE, BUT THEY DONT. SO IM HAPPY FOR THE REST OF YOU. HAPPY................FOR..............THE......... ........REST.............OF...............YOU..... .....

#25 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhati;13343974
i just dont like when people post false information. There is zero graphical difference between dx9 and 10 in RE5.

Thnx for the insane frame rates, but you would think that they could have upped the poly counts or given some better dx10 support to actually put those graphics to better use. RE5 was a great looking console game, but an average looking PC game.

and as i said before. i wasnt negative about anything, although I would be excited if capcom MADE GAMES I LIKE, BUT THEY DONT. SO IM HAPPY FOR THE REST OF YOU. HAPPY................FOR..............THE.................REST.............OF...............YOU..........
There was never really any differences from DX9 to DX10 visually to begin with. There were cases like Lost Planet where DX10 had features locked into DX10 mode only, but were easily able to be done on DX9 as well. Fur for example could be rendered on DX9 just fine, but LP had it for only DX10.
(EDIT: It does seem I did say extra visuals when I said RE5. Sorry about that)

Your argument doesn't change the fact that DX10 was available, and on several different video cards - DX10 makes a difference in performance for the better (increased FPS) which is what the API was originally intended for. Not visual fidelity.

And RE5 is not an average looking PC game.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hxp95yPpOM[/ame]

Not the best video in the world, Youtube can be so damn shoddy with compression (could be the user's fault as well), but it does good work.
The cutscene alone is filled with detail no other game - on PC, 360, or PS3 - really can put off aside from the typical Crysis argument. You can see the tiniest bits of details down to the textures in each character's clothes. You can see the patch details in the BSAA emblem on Chris' shirt or even the etchings on all of his belts and clips. Then the character's faces are amazingly detailed too. It's on par with Crysis's head model detail. You can see the pours in Chris and Sheva's faces, and the veins in their eyes even.

Then there are the physics of everything. Wesker's cloth jacket is very realistically rendered and even has incredible details just like Chris. Both in the cutscene and gameplay too. Oh and the guns as well. Each and every gun has immense details to them. Particularly the default pistols Sheva and Chris wield as shown in that cutscene. They have insane tiny details on them in the models, and so many moving parts to them that it's a total sell on believability each time they fire the gun. It's like Isaac's RIG in Dead Space 2. Not to mention there isn't any video game cutscene magic here, it's all ingame rendered right infront of you with the same assets.

The environment itself, particularly the ancient underground compound their in is particularly detailed again both in the cutscene and gameplay. The lighting on the walls and the entire room alone is pretty awesome, not to mention the details of the wall textures and such. Not to forget what the lighting does on the characters. Shadows are constantly being done on the characters models and the environment all the time. That cutscene alone has alot of different lighting effects on the characters that are really eye pleasing and realistic as they move. During gameplay, there are quite a few amazing smoke/light effects particularly during the Licker compound and the test subject chambers where spinning fans casts shadows. The expansion to RE5 - Lost in Shadows - capitilzed on this lighting effect with the mansion from RE1. Lightning casts shadows throughout hallways that are incredibly amazing. Especially when the enemy's shadow is on your screen, and you can't see him (CLASSIC!
biggrin.gif
) Enemies cast shadows too, and each enemies gets their own realistic shadows that are just as good as the main characters.

There isn't any feeling of "repeated levels" in RE5 on a whole. While a bit linear, ever chapter of RE5 has an entirely different layout and feel to it as well as enemies. Enemies have multiple model variations so you're not always shooting the same guy over and over, and details in them that are very close to the details in the main character models.

Don't get me started on the animation and cinematography of the entire game and cutscenes particularly. I could write a damn essay about how fantastically done each and every scene it done. If I recall correctly from the RE5 art book I read, the mocaps did every tiny ingame animation over at least 30-50+ times and all the scenes dozens of times over as well. Not to mention the director's fantastic camera and set work.

RE5 doesn't have too many graphical "set-piece" scenes like a benchmark would, but on a whole RE5's incredible attention to detail particularly in the textures is incredible. And the best part is, you can run the game with 100FPS+ no sweat. DX10 even offers improvements to frame rate with some video cards, like it's actually intended. Most ports, yet alone actual PC games, don't offer this option, yet you want to argue about it's inclusion.
RE5 is an incredible visual powerhouse you completely misjudge and underwhelm. Most of the games on the PC don't have half the detail that RE5 has (yet alone work properly), and are always focusing on giant WOW scenes meanwhile the rest of the game is dull and recycled stuff. Metro 2033 is an amazing looking game, but most of it is just the same stuff you see from the beginning of the game with really fancy smoke lights here and there.

The MT Framework engine is an incredible force to be reckoned with. Even on the consoles themselves, alot of the amazing visual elements of RE5 that make the game look so great can be found on them..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.