Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › How to Overclock Phenom II 955
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to Overclock Phenom II 955

post #1 of 48
Thread Starter 
So I've been apart of this community for awhile and I feel rather dumb for having to ask this. I really don't understand how to overclock. I've slowly increased my multiplier but I always blue screen. I've noticed people talking about increasing voltage and increasing RAM settings to keep up with the CPU overclock. Anybody care to give me a detailed explanation of how I should go about overclocking my 955? Thanks so much!

EDIT: Could you also give me a sample of what number I should input in my BIOS?
Edited by MClouse - 4/29/11 at 7:10pm
Hmmm...
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB WIFI ASUS GTX 660 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB-DDR3 1600 (8X4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
WD 500 GB HDD OCZ Vertex 4  LG Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ 24" 120hz + 24" Dell Full HD Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition 2013 OCZ ZX Series 850 Watt  NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer deathadder 2013 edition Razer Goliath Control 2013 Edition (Large) Sennheiser G4ME ZERO ASUS XONAR U7 
  hide details  
Reply
Hmmm...
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB WIFI ASUS GTX 660 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB-DDR3 1600 (8X4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
WD 500 GB HDD OCZ Vertex 4  LG Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ 24" 120hz + 24" Dell Full HD Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition 2013 OCZ ZX Series 850 Watt  NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer deathadder 2013 edition Razer Goliath Control 2013 Edition (Large) Sennheiser G4ME ZERO ASUS XONAR U7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 48
Well just increase the CPU voltage by .05 every time until your stable.

Take care of the ram later
Full Of Stuff
(15 items)
 
The nEEEtBook
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II 1100t X6 MSI 990XA-GD55 GTX 465 SLI Mushkin Ridge Back 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 Seagate 7200.12 Sony 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Scythe MUGEN-2 SCMG-2000 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate Planar SA2311W 3D Monitor Microsoft Keyboard PC Performance & Cooling Silencer 750W 
CaseMouseAudio
Cooler Master HAF 912 [Window Mod] OCZ BEHEMOTH Laser Mouse Realtek 5.1 Onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Atom N270 AsusTek 1005HA Mobile Intel 945 Express 1GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ Vertex 2 (Upgrade) Windows 7 Starter 10.1" Wide screen LED Lit Display Full Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouse
40W 19V Asus Adapter 1005HA Case Trackpad 
  hide details  
Reply
Full Of Stuff
(15 items)
 
The nEEEtBook
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II 1100t X6 MSI 990XA-GD55 GTX 465 SLI Mushkin Ridge Back 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 Seagate 7200.12 Sony 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Scythe MUGEN-2 SCMG-2000 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate Planar SA2311W 3D Monitor Microsoft Keyboard PC Performance & Cooling Silencer 750W 
CaseMouseAudio
Cooler Master HAF 912 [Window Mod] OCZ BEHEMOTH Laser Mouse Realtek 5.1 Onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Atom N270 AsusTek 1005HA Mobile Intel 945 Express 1GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ Vertex 2 (Upgrade) Windows 7 Starter 10.1" Wide screen LED Lit Display Full Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouse
40W 19V Asus Adapter 1005HA Case Trackpad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffStuff1 View Post
Well just increase the CPU voltage by .05 every time until your stable.

Take care of the ram later
Alright. I'll try that. Any suggestions on how to OC RAM? I have no idea of how to do that.
Hmmm...
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB WIFI ASUS GTX 660 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB-DDR3 1600 (8X4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
WD 500 GB HDD OCZ Vertex 4  LG Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ 24" 120hz + 24" Dell Full HD Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition 2013 OCZ ZX Series 850 Watt  NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer deathadder 2013 edition Razer Goliath Control 2013 Edition (Large) Sennheiser G4ME ZERO ASUS XONAR U7 
  hide details  
Reply
Hmmm...
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB WIFI ASUS GTX 660 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB-DDR3 1600 (8X4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
WD 500 GB HDD OCZ Vertex 4  LG Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ 24" 120hz + 24" Dell Full HD Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition 2013 OCZ ZX Series 850 Watt  NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer deathadder 2013 edition Razer Goliath Control 2013 Edition (Large) Sennheiser G4ME ZERO ASUS XONAR U7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 48
Since I just got mine a few days ago and have been OC'ing since, I should be able to provide some assistance.

First thing I would do is set your HT link to 2000mhz and your NB to either 2800 or 3000mhz, you may not be able to achieve 3000mhz or you may need to increase NB volts to get to this level. Increasing NB frequency not only adds to system stability but it also speeds up your system, I was even able to OC my GPU higher with an increased NB.

Once you get your system happy and booting up with either 2800 or 3000 NB, then move onto the Multiplier. For voltages try not go above 1.5v, although the chips can take it, unless you want to shorten it's life you don't want to be running it 24/7, and since OC'ing with the multiplier will remove CnQ (once you get past a certain level), you will be running at full speed all the time.

The other way, and the way I oc'd my chip was to increase the FSB. For some reason it's not very popular on this site to increase these chips this way, but for me this was the easiest way to get 3000mhz NB. To start with you increase your FSB to 250, at default multiplier this will give you an oc of 4ghz, so you may want to drop the multiplier down to 15 or so initially to make sure it boots. The next step is to then go through and set your HT link, NB and Ram frequencies. As above you want your HT link at 2000, your NB at 2800 or 3000 and your ram at 1000mhz.

I didn't have to play around with voltages at all for mine and just left them on auto, but i'm not saying that will necessarily work for you. The advantage of OCing with FSB is that you get tighter ram timings and a low multiplier, which means you can still run CnQ if you choose to.


Hope this helps
post #5 of 48
^ Why would you underclock your RAM?
post #6 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmidd12 View Post
^ Why would you underclock your RAM?
It's not underclocked, he is running DDR2 1066 mhz.
post #7 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggs2see View Post
It's not underclocked, he is running DDR2 1066 mhz.
My mistake I thought you were talking about your setup

In fact I may just try your suggestions to tweak mine, I can't seem to get a stable system with a NB higher than 2600MHz
post #8 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggs2see View Post
Since I just got mine a few days ago and have been OC'ing since, I should be able to provide some assistance.

First thing I would do is set your HT link to 2000mhz and your NB to either 2800 or 3000mhz, you may not be able to achieve 3000mhz or you may need to increase NB volts to get to this level. Increasing NB frequency not only adds to system stability but it also speeds up your system, I was even able to OC my GPU higher with an increased NB.

Once you get your system happy and booting up with either 2800 or 3000 NB, then move onto the Multiplier. For voltages try not go above 1.5v, although the chips can take it, unless you want to shorten it's life you don't want to be running it 24/7, and since OC'ing with the multiplier will remove CnQ (once you get past a certain level), you will be running at full speed all the time.

The other way, and the way I oc'd my chip was to increase the FSB. For some reason it's not very popular on this site to increase these chips this way, but for me this was the easiest way to get 3000mhz NB. To start with you increase your FSB to 250, at default multiplier this will give you an oc of 4ghz, so you may want to drop the multiplier down to 15 or so initially to make sure it boots. The next step is to then go through and set your HT link, NB and Ram frequencies. As above you want your HT link at 2000, your NB at 2800 or 3000 and your ram at 1000mhz.

I didn't have to play around with voltages at all for mine and just left them on auto, but i'm not saying that will necessarily work for you. The advantage of OCing with FSB is that you get tighter ram timings and a low multiplier, which means you can still run CnQ if you choose to.


Hope this helps
That helped a lot!! Next question before I try this is mainly about the RAM. Since I have DDR2, should I still set it to 1000mhz? Do I need to change voltages for the RAM or anything?
Hmmm...
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB WIFI ASUS GTX 660 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB-DDR3 1600 (8X4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
WD 500 GB HDD OCZ Vertex 4  LG Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ 24" 120hz + 24" Dell Full HD Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition 2013 OCZ ZX Series 850 Watt  NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer deathadder 2013 edition Razer Goliath Control 2013 Edition (Large) Sennheiser G4ME ZERO ASUS XONAR U7 
  hide details  
Reply
Hmmm...
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB WIFI ASUS GTX 660 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB-DDR3 1600 (8X4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
WD 500 GB HDD OCZ Vertex 4  LG Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ 24" 120hz + 24" Dell Full HD Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition 2013 OCZ ZX Series 850 Watt  NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer deathadder 2013 edition Razer Goliath Control 2013 Edition (Large) Sennheiser G4ME ZERO ASUS XONAR U7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MClouse View Post
That helped a lot!! Next question before I try this is mainly about the RAM. Since I have DDR2, should I still set it to 1000mhz? Do I need to change voltages for the RAM or anything?
Well you should search what your RAM is rated for in terms of voltage. Don't go above that and you should be fine. Yes set it to 1000MHz
post #10 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MClouse View Post
That helped a lot!! Next question before I try this is mainly about the RAM. Since I have DDR2, should I still set it to 1000mhz? Do I need to change voltages for the RAM or anything?
I'm sorry I have no idea about DDR2, if your ram is rated at 1066mhz I would say don't go above that, most gain will come from tighter timings, but again I don't know what are good DDR2 timings for your ram. You may need to boost ram voltages slightly to get it stable, but you shouldn't have to go up very much at all, if you do then you have a problem.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › How to Overclock Phenom II 955