Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › What would be the best coolant?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What would be the best coolant? - Page 2

post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralThrawn View Post
I did a bit of reading and the reason glycol ethylene is used as a coolant is not because it's better at heat transfer (it actually has about only half of water's heat transfer capacity), but because it has a really low freezing point and a really high boiling point.

It's not going to perform nearly as good as water, and it only makes sense if your loop will be below freezing temps or above water's boiling temps.
You know H2O itself is the slowest at heat transfer, right..
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiasian View Post
You know H2O itself is the slowest at heat transfer, right..
That's what I'm thinking :L
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiasian View Post
You know H2O itself is the slowest at heat transfer, right..
Of all the things one might put in a computer watercooling loop, maybe.

Case in point, pure glycol ethylene is only half as effective as water.
post #14 of 19
I think it's about specific heat... A lot of energy is required to heat up water.
post #15 of 19
Use distilled water. There is no reason at all in your situation you shouldn't. You will be perfectly fine. Most commercial fluids that you could use for coolants are not going to make much of a difference.
The AMD machine
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1055t @ 3.8 GHZ Asus M4A79XTD EVO XFX Radeon 6850 1GB OCed G.Skill Ripsaw 16 GB (2x8GB) 1512 mhz @ 7-8-7-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
|WD Caviar Black 640GB|Seagate Barracudas 2TB X2| Lite-On Black 24X DVD Burner Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ 24" das Keyboard Model S Brown  OCZ Fatal1ty 550W PSU Coolermaster Storm Scout 
MouseMouse Pad
Razor DeathAdder Narlyfish 
  hide details  
Reply
The AMD machine
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1055t @ 3.8 GHZ Asus M4A79XTD EVO XFX Radeon 6850 1GB OCed G.Skill Ripsaw 16 GB (2x8GB) 1512 mhz @ 7-8-7-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
|WD Caviar Black 640GB|Seagate Barracudas 2TB X2| Lite-On Black 24X DVD Burner Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ 24" das Keyboard Model S Brown  OCZ Fatal1ty 550W PSU Coolermaster Storm Scout 
MouseMouse Pad
Razor DeathAdder Narlyfish 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 19
Thread Starter 
Ok thanks a lot guys!
I'll stick to the original plan which is distilled water + kill coil
+rep
Gaming PC
(17 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[AMD][Phenom 955 C3][4ghz-1.44v-24/7] [Gigabyte][GA-990FXA-UD3] [Zotac][GTX 570][810/1950mhz] [CORSAIR][XMS3 Dominator][2x2GB][1406 7-8-7-24-1T] 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
[Corsair][F90] [WD][Caviar Black][640GB] [Samsung][DVD-RW] [XSPC][Rasa+EK580GTX+] 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
[Windows 7][64bits] [Benq][21.5''][1920x1080] [CM][QuickFire] [CORSAIR][TX-650] 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
[CM][Custom HAF 922] [CM][Inferno] [Tt][Dasher] [Audio-Technica][ATH-M50] 
Audio
[Asus][Xonar DG] 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[I5-2430m] [Acer HM65] [ATI][6850m] [2x2GB][1333mhz] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOS
[Seagate][750GB] [DVD+/-RW] [Win7][Home premium] 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming PC
(17 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[AMD][Phenom 955 C3][4ghz-1.44v-24/7] [Gigabyte][GA-990FXA-UD3] [Zotac][GTX 570][810/1950mhz] [CORSAIR][XMS3 Dominator][2x2GB][1406 7-8-7-24-1T] 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
[Corsair][F90] [WD][Caviar Black][640GB] [Samsung][DVD-RW] [XSPC][Rasa+EK580GTX+] 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
[Windows 7][64bits] [Benq][21.5''][1920x1080] [CM][QuickFire] [CORSAIR][TX-650] 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
[CM][Custom HAF 922] [CM][Inferno] [Tt][Dasher] [Audio-Technica][ATH-M50] 
Audio
[Asus][Xonar DG] 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[I5-2430m] [Acer HM65] [ATI][6850m] [2x2GB][1333mhz] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOS
[Seagate][750GB] [DVD+/-RW] [Win7][Home premium] 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHollow View Post
AFAIK, it should be fine but you probably shouldn't just run glycol, mixing it with distilled water would be better.
True statement but, it would be best to use distilled water by itself with a dash of corrosion inhibitor. Fouling of the convection surface due to corrosion increases the thermal resistance of the system, and reduces the effectiveness of the heat exchanger. Distilled water should be used over tap water for this reason and an inhibitor helps all the much more.

Quote:
You know H2O itself is the slowest at heat transfer, right..
Slowest compared to what? Copper, Aluminum, any other metal used in heat transfer applications? If that is the case then you are correct. Or do you mean to say slower than glycol? If that is the case then you are wrong.

Glycol and glycol mixtures are typically used because of the lower freezing point. If you leave a closed cooling system (an engine block and radiator for example) in an environment that causes the water to freeze, then the closed system becomes an open system as the water freezes and expands into ice (i.e the engine block will crack at the water jackets leaving you with a hole in your engine). After that happens you can kiss it goodbye. I doubt that any part of your system will be exposed to such temperatures so glycol is not necessary for your application.

If you want performance go with distilled water and a dash of corrosion inhibitor. If you want pretty colors with less effectiveness go with glycol.
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-ramp View Post
I think it's about specific heat... A lot of energy is required to heat up water.
This is what I was thinking.
When H2O is heated, rather than exciting the molecules themselves to increase the temperature, the cohesion between H2O molecules allows for the hydrogen bonds between the polar bonds of hydrogen and oxygen to be disrupted by the energy released from heat before there is a significant increase in temperature.
But then again the amount of heat actually given to the excitable molecule may yield different temperatures...
How can glycol ethylene be "half as effective"? x number of watts of heat is being actively transferred to the excitable molecules, and the only variable in this case would be the actual temperature. I don't see how it can be "half as effective" in actually taking up the heat.
post #19 of 19
Specific heat is the capacity of a given material to hold thermal energy (Joules/Kelvin). Think of it as the storage capacity of a hard drive. Thermal conductivity is the rate at which a material can absorb or reject thermal energy per unit area (Watts/m^2*Kelvin). Think of it as the IO rate of a hard drive. The surface area of heat transfer interface (the blocks on your components) is like the bandwith of a hard drive i.e 3Gb/s, 6Gb/s. Hope that analogy helps.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › What would be the best coolant?