Overclock.net banner

Modding the 650D

4K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  lowfat 
#1 ·
since I despise the front 200mm fan, is there is way to mod it so that I can fit 2x 120mm or 2x 140mm fans? can I purchase a bracket or adapter plate to fit it?

and also, can I fit the Lian Li optical drive cover on the 650D?

also, I have been about the Lian Li B25FWB a lot lately, pretty much the perfect cases (i love the 2x 140 top and front) but im not sure of its flat front (will the airflow decrease? it has holes on sides for air but will it be worse than the "open" front of 650D?).

See less See more
#2 ·
650D-
pros:
slightly bigger than the b25fwb
window
black painted interior
cable grommets

cons:
200mm front fan

cost:
1399 HKD (180.14 USD)

B25FWB-
pros:
2x 120mm front fan
window
anodized black interior
lots of tool-less stuff

cons:
flat front has less airflow?
slightly smaller than 650D

cost:
1620 HKD (208.596 USD)

#3 ·
My best advice, stay away from case's that dont allow 120mm fans to be used lol. that being said, it depends on how you want to mount the fans in the frount, you could zip tie them inplace. From what I understand the Corsair 600d is best for wet applications(watter loops). I would use the latter of the case's in your shoe's

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by KhaoticKomputing
View Post

My best advice, stay away from case's that dont allow 120mm fans to be used lol. that being said, it depends on how you want to mount the fans in the frount, you could zip tie them inplace. From what I understand the Corsair 600d is best for wet applications(watter loops). I would use the latter of the case's in your shoe's

I will be doing a wc setup with 2 rads. I'm just wondering about the B25FWB's cable management and if it can fit a rs240+fans up top and whether or not the flat front with holes reduces the airflow. If the 650D has a revision with 2x front 120mm or 140mm fans, I would jump on it straight away.

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by faulkton;13351148
with a little modding you can make the lian li bezel work.

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/5543/img2379f.jpg

You'd have to lose an optical bay drive and do some more involved modding to get two 140mm fans in the front intake.

I replaced the front 200mm with a silverstone ap181. Not much work and a great fan.
How did you fit the AP181?

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by somebodysb2
View Post

How did you fit the AP181?

it's too thick to fit with the hdd cages in the stock location, but with one moved to the location behind the psu you get more direct air flow to the GPUs anyways.

All it took was making some 180mm mounting hole because the existing 200mm mounting holes dont line up with the 181.

crappy phone pic of half finished project:

I had no HDD cage for a while, with the drives mounted in a 5.25 bay. I redid it and i think i'll get better air flow through my silver arrow without the drives and their wires blocking the path of the fan i have in the 5.25" bay.

You could also take it a step further than i did and remove the perforated area that the front 200mm mounts to. The mesh acts like the filter, so you dont really need that extra barrier. This would allow the 181 to sit back further and you could probably still use both HDD cages in the stock location this way. It might make a difference in noise/flow without that little extra bit of restriction.

I just didnt feel like taking it that far... yet

Going to have to say i love the 650d.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by faulkton
View Post

it's too thick to fit with the hdd cages in the stock location, but with one moved to the location behind the psu you get more direct air flow to the GPUs anyways.

All it took was making some 180mm mounting hole because the existing 200mm mounting holes dont line up with the 181.

crappy phone pic of half finished project:

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/7685/181om.jpg

I had no HDD cage for a while, with the drives mounted in a 5.25 bay. I redid it and i think i'll get better air flow through my silver arrow without the drives and their wires blocking the path of the fan i have in the 5.25" bay.

You could also take it a step further than i did and remove the perforated area that the front 200mm mounts to. The mesh acts like the filter, so you dont really need that extra barrier. This would allow the 181 to sit back further and you could [I]probably [/I]still use both HDD cages in the stock location this way. It might make a difference in noise/flow without that little extra bit of restriction.

I just didnt feel like taking it that far... yet [IMG alt=""]https://www.overclock.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Going to have to say i love the 650d.

Three questions.

What do you mean when a bit of modding to fit the Lian Li cover?

When you say drilling holes, Do you mean I can just line up 2 120mm fans and drill a mounting hole for them? Will 2x 120mm fans fit in the front fan compartment? I will be moving the drive cage like how you did with yours.

How thick of a rad can I fit with fans on?

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by somebodysb2
View Post

Two questions.

What do you mean when a bit of modding to fit the Lian Li cover?

i had to dremel away most of the original lian li drive bezel mounts to make it work. Also it was originally a spring loaded door and now it's two separate pieces. It wasnt hard at all, and it works really well.

Quote:

When you say drilling holes, Do you mean I can just line up 2 120mm fans and drill a mounting hole for them? Will 2x 120mm fans fit in the front fan compartment? I will be moving the drive cage like how you did with yours.

I think, not sure, that two 120mm fans would be too tall to fit. They might not fit under the optical drive cage, but i never did try.

If this is the case, you could always just notch out a bit of the optical bay cage or notch out a bit of the bottom of the case to give them more room.

I can try to see if/how they fit when i get off work if you like, but for now i am running late and need to get going

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by faulkton
View Post

with a little modding you can make the lian li bezel work.

You'd have to lose an optical bay drive and do some more involved modding to get two 140mm fans in the front intake.

I replaced the front 200mm with a silverstone ap181. Not much work and a great fan.

Sorry to bump the thread. But I'd like to know how you did this.

From looking at the Lian Li optical cover I can't see of any easy way to get it to work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.