Overclock.net › Forums › Overclock Marketplace › Online Deals › Expired Deals › EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3072MB | PART NUMBER: 03G-P3-1584-AR
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3072MB | PART NUMBER: 03G-P3-1584-AR - Page 4

post #31 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpopsaranghae View Post
Yeah umm.... you don't have a 1080p monitor or a GTX 580 yourself. And you are mocking him for not having both GTX 580's?? Am I the only one that sees the irony/hypocrisy here????

Also, this review is shows a different result compared to your review:
http://www.fudzilla.com/reviews/item...tested?start=4

The 3GB GTX 580, barely beats the 1.5 GB version in anything, despite the fact that it is clocked 10mhz higher. Which proves the point that you shouldn't always believe in one review.

Either way, you should follow your own advice before you start to give it to others.

Mocking him ? Are you serious ? This whole discussion began when I corrected an overly simplistic one line argument he made, pointing him to a proper review. Instead of discussing the review, he went on trying to be funny and not being able to properly argument. He went as far as disqualifying a whole post of mine because in his mind I don't know what sarcasm means, and then calling me a kiddo without knowing me from anywhere.

And I'm mocking him because I was referring to the fact he would have to have 1x 1.5GB card and 1x 3GB card to make a proper comparison like the site did, and he replies saying he once had two of the same kind ? Seriously, how is this mocking someone ?

What does the fact I don't have either the GTX580 or a FullHD monitor have to do with that ? If you start making a baseless argument like that, you're just like him.

As to that review, yes it does have different results. I hadn't read that one. But to be objective here, they only tested 3 games (and in one of them, Dirt 2, there is a 4.5 fps difference) while Hardware Heaven tested 7 games. And none of those games are the same on both reviews, so you can't compare the results as it's not an apples to apples comparison.

Edit 1: one more important detail: the Fudzilla review has just one score. You don't even now if it's the max fps or the avg. It certainly is not the min fps. And that should be included in every serious review too. (and from what I recall, Fudzilla is not the most reliable source anyway...)

Edit 2: The test system is not even the same on both systems. Fudzilla is using a Core i7 965 and Hardware Heaven is using a Core i7 990x. That alone can be game changing (pun intended). The GTX580 might be bottlenecked by the 965.

Edit: 3: not to mention Fudzilla is using older drivers. 266.66 vs 270.51

The argument still stands. Unless someone proves that the Hardwareheaven review is biased, then we have to conclude that some games do need more than 1.5GB to show the true potential of the 512 cores.

And what is that talk about following my own advice before giving it to others ? I bought the GTX480 for an amazing € 227 brand new. Nor do I have a Full HD monitor like you so well stated. And I don't have the money to buy a GTX580. So, what's your point ?
Edited by tpi2007 - 5/5/11 at 9:47pm
 
Metro 2033 review
Metro 2033
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-3820 Asus Sabertooth X79 MSI GTX 750 Ti TF Gaming 16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 1TB Sony Optiarc DVD-RW Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ RL2455HM Cooler Master Octane Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus 
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Metro 2033 review
Metro 2033
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-3820 Asus Sabertooth X79 MSI GTX 750 Ti TF Gaming 16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 1TB Sony Optiarc DVD-RW Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ RL2455HM Cooler Master Octane Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus 
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
The difference in price is not that great. Read the post I wrote before this one.

As to the rest, I agree with you, there are certainly many games that don't require more powerful cards nor more VRAM, and I do enjoy playing a lot of those you mentioned. But some high profile ones do ask for more, like Crysis you mentioned, and also GTA IV (and EFLC).

The thing is, you ponder buying a GTX580, which is not cheap to begin with, why not spend the extra $30 (or $60 after the mail-in rebate scheme some people don't even like) to get a card that has the extra life in it ?

It's not that I'm saying the card will use the full 3GB, but it will use more than 1.5GB. Since Nvidia doesn't make 2GB GTX580's, then 3 it is (for the right price, of course - the EVGA in the OP is overpriced compared to the Zotac, considering they both use the reference cooler).

You are buying a brand new high-end card and then be happy with settling for 4x AA / AF ? Doesn't make any sense. Considering we are on OVERclock.net, your idea of it being "OVERreaching" is quite amusing Plus, I'm thinking ahead. I'd personally be disappointed to not be able to max a card with games coming out in the next six months because of a lack of VRAM.
Don't get me wrong. Anyone who is buying now and has the money to power a beastly rig should look at nothing less than these cards. The Zotac would definitely be the better deal of the two as I pointed out in my first post in this thread as well.

I should clarify my "overreaching" statement though. What I meant to say was that I'm hard-pressed to tell a difference, visually, beyond 4X MSAA. However, the performance difference is vastly significant, especially at my resolution, but it depends on what game, of course. Some games are so fast paced that it doesn't really matter whether if I have AA on or not as the action prevents me from stopping to admire the view.

For me, I change cards often. It was unfortunate that the 3GB were not released at the time when I used the Step Up program to upgrade from my two GTX 570's to the 580's I have now, so I'm kind of already sunken in. Not that it would have made a difference anyway as EVGA would not have allowed me to Step Up to a 3GB card. Nonetheless, I am actively looking for a good deal on a third 580, however, I wouldn't be sad if I rode through with these two cards though until Kepler and Southern Islands are released.

That's why, in my opinion, the pricing of the Zotac 3GB card would have been a scorching hot deal, had it come out within the first month (or two at most) of the GTX 580 release. Today, it is a mild deal at best for current 1.5GB GTX 580 - and GTX 480 - owners (assuming they are willing to deal with selling off their current cards and swallowing substantial loss), and a decent deal for new builders who are just finding their way to this price bracket.

Our very own Vega, has done extensive testing in revealing absolute performance at monstrous Eyefinity/Surround resolutions (3 x 30" LCD's). In his older thread with the original testing, only one game (DCS:A-10) actually ran into a memory related issue with the 1.5GB GTX 580's at 5760x1200, which is the same resolution I run, only he was in landscape mode. While it is not all inclusive, it is some of the best info that we do have on VRAM limitations at huge multi-monitor resolutions due to the fact that professionals have yet to produce any content remotely related to this. His conclusion near the end of that first post was this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallsignVega View Post
580s 1.5GB memory limits its performance at such a high resolution. At 5760x1200 and below it isn't as much of a factor.
http://www.overclock.net/graphics-ca...eyefinity.html
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 4258U 2.4 GHz Intel Iris HD 5100 8GB Samsung 256GB SSD 
OS
OSX 10.9 Mavericks 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 4258U 2.4 GHz Intel Iris HD 5100 8GB Samsung 256GB SSD 
OS
OSX 10.9 Mavericks 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by covertash View Post
Don't get me wrong. Anyone who is buying now and has the money to power a beastly rig should look at nothing less than these cards. The Zotac would definitely be the better deal of the two as I pointed out in my first post in this thread as well.

I should clarify my "overreaching" statement though. What I meant to say was that I'm hard-pressed to tell a difference, visually, beyond 4X MSAA. However, the performance difference is vastly significant, especially at my resolution, but it depends on what game, of course. Some games are so fast paced that it doesn't really matter whether if I have AA on or not as the action prevents me from stopping to admire the view.

For me, I change cards often. It was unfortunate that the 3GB were not released at the time when I used the Step Up program to upgrade from my two GTX 570's to the 580's I have now, so I'm kind of already sunken in. Not that it would have made a difference anyway as EVGA would not have allowed me to Step Up to a 3GB card. Nonetheless, I am actively looking for a good deal on a third 580, however, I wouldn't be sad if I rode through with these two cards though until Kepler and Southern Islands are released.

That's why, in my opinion, the pricing of the Zotac 3GB card would have been a scorching hot deal, had it come out within the first month (or two at most) of the GTX 580 release. Today, it is a mild deal at best for current 1.5GB GTX 580 - and GTX 480 - owners (assuming they are willing to deal with selling off their current cards and swallowing substantial loss), and a decent deal for new builders who are just finding their way to this price bracket.

Our very own Vega, has done extensive testing in revealing absolute performance at monstrous Eyefinity/Surround resolutions (3 x 30" LCD's). In his older thread with the original testing, only one game (DCS:A-10) actually ran into a memory related issue with the 1.5GB GTX 580's at 5760x1200, which is the same resolution I run, only he was in landscape mode. While it is not all inclusive, it is some of the best info that we do have on VRAM limitations at huge multi-monitor resolutions due to the fact that professionals have yet to produce any content remotely related to this. His conclusion near the end of that first post was this:



http://www.overclock.net/graphics-ca...eyefinity.html

If you change cards often, you're probably fine. Kepler will arrive by the end of the year, no ? Until then you can manage with 4x AA It's true that in fast paced games you might not realize, but in others you might even give yourself the time to admire the amazing work the programmers and artists did. I agree it all comes down to what game you're playing. And if you already have a GTX580, sure, it's not going to be the best deal of your life exchanging them for the 3GB models, much to the contrary, really.

Yes, the Zotac arrived a bit late, and even EVGA just released theirs. I wouldn't be surprised if more vendors followed suit, especially after EVGA. If ATI hadn't released 2GB cards, we probably wouldn't know there was even a difference to begin with. Nvidia's partners probably realized people were buying more and more ATI cards and decided to release the GTX580 3GB to counter it a bit. I bet that Nvidia is already regretting selling the GTX570 with only 1280MB, but it probably couldn't be any different - they just have a very expensive to manufacture GPU and cost cutting had to be made (not to mention the VRM's) to reach that price point. Since the GTX580 is already in a class (performance an price-wise) of it's own, it goes by a different logic.

As to CallSignVega's thread, I went there a few days ago, he has a very nice setup, that is for sure

However, looking at the games list from the thread you provided, he didn't test the games Hardware Heaven tested, so we might have to do with: some games profit from the extra framebuffer, some don't. (I'm awaiting to see how BC3 and Crysis 2 with DX11 perform).
Edited by tpi2007 - 5/5/11 at 10:11pm
 
Metro 2033 review
Metro 2033
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-3820 Asus Sabertooth X79 MSI GTX 750 Ti TF Gaming 16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 1TB Sony Optiarc DVD-RW Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ RL2455HM Cooler Master Octane Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus 
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Metro 2033 review
Metro 2033
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-3820 Asus Sabertooth X79 MSI GTX 750 Ti TF Gaming 16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 1TB Sony Optiarc DVD-RW Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ RL2455HM Cooler Master Octane Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus 
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane 
  hide details  
Reply
post #34 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
So quit trolling and face the fact: you are wrong today. And the future will tell you are even more wrong tomorrow
I so wanted to sig this but over my 1200, but saved it for when I take something down!!!!
post #35 of 37
1gb is usually more than enough for 1080p maxed. 3gb is for multiple screen i guess?
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5-2410M @ 2.9ghz Nvidia GT 540M 1GB DDR3 4GB DDR3 1333mhz 500GB 5400rpm 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 7 Home 64 1366x768 gloss 90w power brick Acer 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5-2410M @ 2.9ghz Nvidia GT 540M 1GB DDR3 4GB DDR3 1333mhz 500GB 5400rpm 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 7 Home 64 1366x768 gloss 90w power brick Acer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwadeson View Post
1gb is usually more than enough for 1080p maxed. 3gb is for multiple screen i guess?
Yes, 3GB is needed for multi-screen which means high resolutions.
post #37 of 37
Why did you bump this...?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 4ghz 1.25v Evga Classified E760/E762 Evga Gtx 480 + Galaxy GTX 480 SLI 6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial C300 256Gb, Samsung 7200rpm 320gb, 2x W... Windows 7 64-bit Home premium Dell U2410 1920x1200 Wireless Logitech 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Quatro 1200w Corsair 800D Razer Death Adder Office Depot thingy 
AudioAudio
Asus Xonar STX Sennheiser HD555's 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 4ghz 1.25v Evga Classified E760/E762 Evga Gtx 480 + Galaxy GTX 480 SLI 6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial C300 256Gb, Samsung 7200rpm 320gb, 2x W... Windows 7 64-bit Home premium Dell U2410 1920x1200 Wireless Logitech 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Quatro 1200w Corsair 800D Razer Death Adder Office Depot thingy 
AudioAudio
Asus Xonar STX Sennheiser HD555's 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Expired Deals
Overclock.net › Forums › Overclock Marketplace › Online Deals › Expired Deals › EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3072MB | PART NUMBER: 03G-P3-1584-AR