Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › Windows 7 SSD Partition Alignment Mistake?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Windows 7 SSD Partition Alignment Mistake?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Is my SSD aligned correctly for Windows 7? Why did Windows 7 align my SSD as 101MB and not 1024KB? Disk 0 is the G.SKILL Phoenix Pro Series FM-25S2S-60GBP2.
Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Name>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.1.7601
Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: NAME-PC

DISKPART> list disk

  Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
  --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
  Disk 0    Online           55 GB      0 B
  Disk 1    Online          465 GB   465 GB
  Disk 2    Online           59 GB      0 B

DISKPART> select disk 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> list partition

  Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset
  -------------  ----------------  -------  -------
  Partition 1    Primary            100 MB  1024 KB
  [COLOR="Red"]Partition 2    Primary             55 GB   101 MB[/COLOR]

DISKPART>
post #2 of 12
Windows 7 always allocates 100mb for system files. It contains bootable files to boot your computer in recovery mode. I'm sure you could delete it but that ability would be lost.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 2600k Gigabyte P67-UD4-B3 GTX 580 GTX 580 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
Who cares? Intel SSD  Windows 7 Dell u3011 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Dell u3011 Seasonic x1200 800D G700 
AudioAudio
Xonar STX Beyerdynamic DT 990 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 2600k Gigabyte P67-UD4-B3 GTX 580 GTX 580 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
Who cares? Intel SSD  Windows 7 Dell u3011 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Dell u3011 Seasonic x1200 800D G700 
AudioAudio
Xonar STX Beyerdynamic DT 990 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Patrick;13358559 
Windows 7 always allocates 100mb for system files. It contains bootable files to boot your computer in recovery mode. I'm sure you could delete it but that ability would be lost.

I'm well aware of that... Are you saying my alignment is correct on partition 2 of Disk 0? I thought Windows 7 automatically aligned SSDs as 1024KB? Why is it saying 101MB and not 1024KB?
post #4 of 12
If I read this correctly, you didn't manually align and partition your drive before installing Windows? I would recommend you read this thread, if that is the case.
Pro Tem
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 25oo MSI P67A-GD65 B3 MSi GTX56oTX-Ti Asus Direct CUii GTX56o Ti 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
CORSAIR XMS3 8GB C3oo 128GB / 2x5ooGB WDGreen / 1.5TB SG LG DvD Burner Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win7 HP 64 AcerH233H / Acer X2o3H Antec 75oW Raidmax Smilodon Extreme fan mod 
  hide details  
Reply
Pro Tem
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 25oo MSI P67A-GD65 B3 MSi GTX56oTX-Ti Asus Direct CUii GTX56o Ti 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
CORSAIR XMS3 8GB C3oo 128GB / 2x5ooGB WDGreen / 1.5TB SG LG DvD Burner Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win7 HP 64 AcerH233H / Acer X2o3H Antec 75oW Raidmax Smilodon Extreme fan mod 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 12
This is what I found. I think this is your problem

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/113967-ssd-alignment.html
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 2600k Gigabyte P67-UD4-B3 GTX 580 GTX 580 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
Who cares? Intel SSD  Windows 7 Dell u3011 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Dell u3011 Seasonic x1200 800D G700 
AudioAudio
Xonar STX Beyerdynamic DT 990 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 2600k Gigabyte P67-UD4-B3 GTX 580 GTX 580 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
Who cares? Intel SSD  Windows 7 Dell u3011 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Dell u3011 Seasonic x1200 800D G700 
AudioAudio
Xonar STX Beyerdynamic DT 990 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by grishkathefool;13358714 
If I read this correctly, you didn't manually align and partition your drive before installing Windows? I would recommend you read this thread, if that is the case.

I was under the impression Windows 7 automatically did it. tongue.gif
post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Patrick;13358719 
This is what I found. I think this is your problem

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/113967-ssd-alignment.html

Awesome, thanks for the link. Much appreciated.
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woundman;13358783 
I was under the impression Windows 7 automatically did it. tongue.gif

It does, but, apparently, not as well as can/should be done. Automatically leads to problems regarding hardware... like leaving BIOS settings on AUTO when over clocking...

I just installed my first SSD last week and followed the instructions in the thread I linked. It works great and wasn't much of a hassle at all. Caveat, if you don't do it as a Clean Install, you will get a 31K Bad tag. I am told that this doesn't mean anything is actually wrong with the SSD, but still....
Pro Tem
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 25oo MSI P67A-GD65 B3 MSi GTX56oTX-Ti Asus Direct CUii GTX56o Ti 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
CORSAIR XMS3 8GB C3oo 128GB / 2x5ooGB WDGreen / 1.5TB SG LG DvD Burner Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win7 HP 64 AcerH233H / Acer X2o3H Antec 75oW Raidmax Smilodon Extreme fan mod 
  hide details  
Reply
Pro Tem
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 25oo MSI P67A-GD65 B3 MSi GTX56oTX-Ti Asus Direct CUii GTX56o Ti 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
CORSAIR XMS3 8GB C3oo 128GB / 2x5ooGB WDGreen / 1.5TB SG LG DvD Burner Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win7 HP 64 AcerH233H / Acer X2o3H Antec 75oW Raidmax Smilodon Extreme fan mod 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by grishkathefool;13358863 
It does, but, apparently, not as well as can/should be done. Automatically leads to problems regarding hardware... like leaving BIOS settings on AUTO when over clocking...

I just installed my first SSD last week and followed the instructions in the thread I linked. It works great and wasn't much of a hassle at all. Caveat, if you don't do it as a Clean Install, you will get a 31K Bad tag. I am told that this doesn't mean anything is actually wrong with the SSD, but still....

Alright, I'll redo it. Thanks for your input, it's very appreciated. Did you align your SSD as 1024KB or 512KB?

Edit: Apparently you can avoid the 100-200MB partition by creating a partition before installing Windows 7.
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woundman;13358972 
Alright, I'll redo it. Thanks for your input, it's very appreciated. Did you align your SSD as 1024KB or 512KB?

Edit: Apparently you can avoid the 100-200MB partition by creating a partition before installing Windows 7.

This is, I think, the point of the guide, although not as succinctly.
I aligned at 1024, as per the guide.
Pro Tem
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 25oo MSI P67A-GD65 B3 MSi GTX56oTX-Ti Asus Direct CUii GTX56o Ti 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
CORSAIR XMS3 8GB C3oo 128GB / 2x5ooGB WDGreen / 1.5TB SG LG DvD Burner Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win7 HP 64 AcerH233H / Acer X2o3H Antec 75oW Raidmax Smilodon Extreme fan mod 
  hide details  
Reply
Pro Tem
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 25oo MSI P67A-GD65 B3 MSi GTX56oTX-Ti Asus Direct CUii GTX56o Ti 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
CORSAIR XMS3 8GB C3oo 128GB / 2x5ooGB WDGreen / 1.5TB SG LG DvD Burner Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win7 HP 64 AcerH233H / Acer X2o3H Antec 75oW Raidmax Smilodon Extreme fan mod 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: SSD
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › Windows 7 SSD Partition Alignment Mistake?