Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Slashdot]Nvidia gets away with bait and switch laptop replacements
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Slashdot]Nvidia gets away with bait and switch laptop replacements - Page 11

post #101 of 115
They get better laptops out of it, despite the computer's initial value, they are giving a better.replacement laptop, thus illustrating a loss of value. You also have to consider the fact that the laptops would have been used.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3820 WC'd ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional Sapphire + Gigabyte R9 290X CF WC'd 16GB G. Skill Ripjaws Z 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 RAID 1 2x 250GB Samsung 840 Series SSD RAID 1 Samsung Burner w/ Lightscribe Custom Watercooling 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit LG 34UC88 (3440x1440) + Crossover 27Q 1440p Roccat Ryos MK Pro Cherry MX Brown Cooler Master Silent Pro 1200W Gold 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master HAF 922 w/ Dust Filters Roccat Kone XTD + Roccat Apuri 2x XFX Warpad ODAC > Glow Amp One > K702/65 
AudioOther
Yamaha Receiver + 5.1 Xbox One Wireless Controller 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 540M @ 3.33Ghz DC 3.65Ghz SC Acer Intel HD 3000 + ATi Radeon HD 5650M Switchable 4GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMouse
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 13.3" 1366x768 G700 
Audio
iBasso D-Zero Headphone AMP + DAC 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3820 WC'd ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional Sapphire + Gigabyte R9 290X CF WC'd 16GB G. Skill Ripjaws Z 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 RAID 1 2x 250GB Samsung 840 Series SSD RAID 1 Samsung Burner w/ Lightscribe Custom Watercooling 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit LG 34UC88 (3440x1440) + Crossover 27Q 1440p Roccat Ryos MK Pro Cherry MX Brown Cooler Master Silent Pro 1200W Gold 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master HAF 922 w/ Dust Filters Roccat Kone XTD + Roccat Apuri 2x XFX Warpad ODAC > Glow Amp One > K702/65 
AudioOther
Yamaha Receiver + 5.1 Xbox One Wireless Controller 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 540M @ 3.33Ghz DC 3.65Ghz SC Acer Intel HD 3000 + ATi Radeon HD 5650M Switchable 4GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMouse
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 13.3" 1366x768 G700 
Audio
iBasso D-Zero Headphone AMP + DAC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #102 of 115
Burden of proof lies with the accuser. Welcome to America.

And no, and insult to Nvidia does not equal a compliment to AMD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singular1ty View Post
Okay, so if the guy isn't a fan of nvidia, and not the fan of their competitors, which means either intel graphics chips (yah right) or ATI graphics chips. Then what is he a fan of?

Your argument is so flawed its hilarious.

Just because he isn't a fan of nvidia DOES NOT mean that he isn't a fan of a competitor.

So unless you have hard evidence, which something tells me if you did you would have used it already. Then your rebuttal is a waste of bandwidth.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k  MSI z68ma-EP55 4870 1GB 8GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 1333 (7-7-7-20) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
60GB OCZ V2 SSD and lots of mech drives DVD-ROM Windows 7 chronic edition BENQ 1680X1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Kinesis Freestyle PC Power and Cooling 610watt Lian Li PC-A04B wowpen joy 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k  MSI z68ma-EP55 4870 1GB 8GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 1333 (7-7-7-20) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
60GB OCZ V2 SSD and lots of mech drives DVD-ROM Windows 7 chronic edition BENQ 1680X1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Kinesis Freestyle PC Power and Cooling 610watt Lian Li PC-A04B wowpen joy 
  hide details  
Reply
post #103 of 115
In civil courts the burden of proof is that the plaintiff (not "accuser") must satisfy on the balance of probabilities (not "beyond a reasonable doubt") that the defendant committed a civil tort.

C'mon guys, learn your frickin' law here.
4690K System
(12 items)
 
HTPC
(9 items)
 
HP dv6 laptop
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4690K ASRock Z97 Extreme4 XFX Radeon 7950 32 GB DDR3-2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO SSD Samsung DVD/CD-writer Corsair Hydro H60 Windows 7 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
ASUS PA248Q Dell U2412M XFX 850W Black Edition XXX Fractal Design Arc Midi 2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium Dual Core E6700 MSI G41M-P33 Combo ATI HD4350 Kingston ValueRAM DDR3-1333 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
Kingston ValueRAM DDR3-1333 WD Caviar Blue Windows 7 64-bit Sony 32" TV set 
Case
Apex TX-381 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i5 430M GT230M (1 Gb dedicated) 8 GB DDR3-1066 640 GB 
OSMonitor
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) 15.6" 
  hide details  
Reply
4690K System
(12 items)
 
HTPC
(9 items)
 
HP dv6 laptop
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4690K ASRock Z97 Extreme4 XFX Radeon 7950 32 GB DDR3-2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO SSD Samsung DVD/CD-writer Corsair Hydro H60 Windows 7 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
ASUS PA248Q Dell U2412M XFX 850W Black Edition XXX Fractal Design Arc Midi 2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium Dual Core E6700 MSI G41M-P33 Combo ATI HD4350 Kingston ValueRAM DDR3-1333 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
Kingston ValueRAM DDR3-1333 WD Caviar Blue Windows 7 64-bit Sony 32" TV set 
Case
Apex TX-381 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i5 430M GT230M (1 Gb dedicated) 8 GB DDR3-1066 640 GB 
OSMonitor
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) 15.6" 
  hide details  
Reply
post #104 of 115
Crapware must be worth a lot.
2010 MBP 15"
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
INTEL CORE i5 520M nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 330M 8GB DDR3 @ 1066MHz SEAGATE MOMENTUS XT 500GB 
Optical DriveMonitor
SUPERDRIVE 15.4" @ 1440x900 
  hide details  
Reply
2010 MBP 15"
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
INTEL CORE i5 520M nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 330M 8GB DDR3 @ 1066MHz SEAGATE MOMENTUS XT 500GB 
Optical DriveMonitor
SUPERDRIVE 15.4" @ 1440x900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #105 of 115
Wow. Good job Nvidia/America.

Seriously though, it's up to the US judicial system to regulate crap like this. I blame the government almost more than I blame Nvidia for keeping around some aging douche that is obviously just siding with the highest bidder.

I'm selling my 285 and going red. Foreal. I'm a man of principal.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 @ 4.0 1.2v Rampage II Extreme 7970 12gb 1600mhz @ 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Corsair 128gb SSD 2xSeagate 7200.12 RAID 0 2x... BD-RW Prolimatech Megahalems Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
1920x1080 48" Samsung TV ione Scorpius M10 Enermax Evo 1250w Custom 
Mouse
Logitech G9 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 @ 4.0 1.2v Rampage II Extreme 7970 12gb 1600mhz @ 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Corsair 128gb SSD 2xSeagate 7200.12 RAID 0 2x... BD-RW Prolimatech Megahalems Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
1920x1080 48" Samsung TV ione Scorpius M10 Enermax Evo 1250w Custom 
Mouse
Logitech G9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #106 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothfish View Post
Wow. Good job Nvidia/America.

Seriously though, it's up to the US judicial system to regulate crap like this. I blame the government almost more than I blame Nvidia for keeping around some aging douche that is obviously just siding with the highest bidder.

I'm selling my 285 and going red. Foreal. I'm a man of principal.
This says it all. The Supreme Court just ruled that companies can force you to agree not to be part of a class action lawsuit in order to use their product or services.

This country is going downhill fast.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k  MSI z68ma-EP55 4870 1GB 8GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 1333 (7-7-7-20) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
60GB OCZ V2 SSD and lots of mech drives DVD-ROM Windows 7 chronic edition BENQ 1680X1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Kinesis Freestyle PC Power and Cooling 610watt Lian Li PC-A04B wowpen joy 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k  MSI z68ma-EP55 4870 1GB 8GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 1333 (7-7-7-20) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
60GB OCZ V2 SSD and lots of mech drives DVD-ROM Windows 7 chronic edition BENQ 1680X1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Kinesis Freestyle PC Power and Cooling 610watt Lian Li PC-A04B wowpen joy 
  hide details  
Reply
post #107 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanPitts View Post
Yeah - just what I'd want, a cheezy low end Compaq that isn't even half the machine this netbook is, with a cheezy Celerystick processor that can probably only handle Win7Starter...

But NVidia is not the only company to get away with this schlock move - Apple has been all pro with it, ever since they shilled their customers that had GPUs falling off the logic boards, or defective screens that "passed" whatever fake standard they devised. Companies in general have been good at this, and can afford the payola to cash in the judges. However, at least other companies pretended that their "offering" was somehow comparable in some regards, while replacing a laptop with some weak Compaq, that's a farce.
It's cheaper to pay a lawyer and shaft the consumer than to fix the issue that they themselves caused with the cost cutting measures applied to the manufacturing of these products.
Thats corporate ethics, to them it's not who is right and who is wrong, it who has the best lawyers/judgements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanPitts View Post
Even then, Intel has never been able to get all of the defective parts back, and there are lots of defective chips remaining in the grey market - where consumers are prone to being ripped off by discounted, defective chips.
They did make a good effort, but yeah there will always be some older (defective) boards out there in some dodgy local computer store or something, but the word got out and most of the people who will build their own computer should know (if they don't they really shouldn't be building).

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanPitts View Post
At least this time, Intel tried - unlike the last times when Intel made bombs and did nothing except blame comsumers for wanting to actually use the entire instruction set.
LOL, I remember the FDIV bug in the original pentium, I replaced 40 of them in one engineering firm and about a dozen in smaller engineering and construction firms.
Intel said nothing about it (known since May) till a maths professor picked it up in June 94, but said nothing till Oct 94 because he checked everything else (mobo, programming and chipset). In late Oct he called Intel and told them, but it wasn't till late November that the news broke.
Then it was a mess, Intel offered to replace on request only after public pressure came to a head.
Aces and Eights
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
955 X4 BE [3.82 Ghz] Lanparty DK 790FX  HIS 6870 X 2 CFX 4Gig OCZ Reaper DDR2 800 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2X Hitachi 1TB raid 0 Seagate Barracuda Sony DVD RW DRU 830A  Coolermaster Hyper 212+  
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 7 64Bit Benq HD 2200 Antec True Power 650W HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
Aces and Eights
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
955 X4 BE [3.82 Ghz] Lanparty DK 790FX  HIS 6870 X 2 CFX 4Gig OCZ Reaper DDR2 800 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2X Hitachi 1TB raid 0 Seagate Barracuda Sony DVD RW DRU 830A  Coolermaster Hyper 212+  
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 7 64Bit Benq HD 2200 Antec True Power 650W HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #108 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxicrimsonixx View Post
They get better laptops out of it, despite the computer's initial value, they are giving a better.replacement laptop, thus illustrating a loss of value. You also have to consider the fact that the laptops would have been used.
yes, the value of the laptops go down, but you are suppose to give the consumer something EQUAL in performance to it. a single-core level-entry CPU laptop is not equal to a dual-core high-end CPU!

just like when your 8800 ultra ($800) die, the company gives u at least a GTS 250 ($150) or even a GTX 260 ($250) (which has better performance), not a GT 220 ($60) !
Dream PC
(17 items)
 
Surface Pro 3
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL Core i7 6700K ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Z170 MSI Geforce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 16GB DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG SM951 NVMe 512GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO 1TB COOLER MASTER Nepton 280L MICROSOFT Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
BENQ XL2420TE DELL UltraSharp U2415 WASD V2 custom CORSAIR HX850i 
CaseMouseAudioOther
NZXT H440 white CORSAIR Vengeance M95 CREATIVE Sound Blaster Z CPU Delid 
Other
LED Lighting 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 4300U Microsoft Surface Intel HD Graphics 4400 8 GB DDR3L 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardMouse
256 GB SSD Windows 10 Pro x64 Surface Pro 4 Type Cover with Fingerprint ID Microsoft Arc Mouse Surface Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
Dream PC
(17 items)
 
Surface Pro 3
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL Core i7 6700K ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Z170 MSI Geforce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 16GB DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG SM951 NVMe 512GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO 1TB COOLER MASTER Nepton 280L MICROSOFT Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
BENQ XL2420TE DELL UltraSharp U2415 WASD V2 custom CORSAIR HX850i 
CaseMouseAudioOther
NZXT H440 white CORSAIR Vengeance M95 CREATIVE Sound Blaster Z CPU Delid 
Other
LED Lighting 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 4300U Microsoft Surface Intel HD Graphics 4400 8 GB DDR3L 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardMouse
256 GB SSD Windows 10 Pro x64 Surface Pro 4 Type Cover with Fingerprint ID Microsoft Arc Mouse Surface Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
post #109 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singular1ty View Post
Do you have any proof? Or are you just a moronic fanboy spouting ignorance?

I'm going with a moronic fanboy.
Moronic fanboy? Really.....

The facts speak for themselves in this case so proof is not needed, nor do I have to proove anything seeing as it is my own opinion
But because you are so butthurt, I will say that I have actually owned Nvidia products and liked them.
I just question a company that practices in this way, that's all....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP View Post
A fan boy of what? Hating nvidia?

Just because you dislike one company DOES NOT mean that you are a fan of their competitor.

fail post fails
Thanks for the comment, but I feel you are preeching to the uneducated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singular1ty View Post
Okay, so if the guy isn't a fan of nvidia, and not the fan of their competitors, which means either intel graphics chips (yah right) or ATI graphics chips. Then what is he a fan of?

Your argument is so flawed its hilarious.

Just because he isn't a fan of nvidia DOES NOT mean that he isn't a fan of a competitor.

So unless you have hard evidence, which something tells me if you did you would have used it already. Then your rebuttal is a waste of bandwidth.
I love it when people argue over dumb things, why do I have to be a fanboy of any company?
Its only the dumb that insist on pigeon holling people just because they themselves are a fanboy, and cannot understand when someone comes along that isn't...
Please move along.........
Current Build.
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500K Asus P8P67-M PRO Asus HD7750  8GB Corsair XMS3 1600Ghz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD 500GB Black 3TB Storage Drive Sony DVD R/W Dual Layer Coolermaster TX3 Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro Viewsonic 22" 1650X1050 HD TFT Generic Corsair Builder Series 600WT 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lancool First Knight Gigabyte M6800 Generic On Board Realtek 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Build.
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500K Asus P8P67-M PRO Asus HD7750  8GB Corsair XMS3 1600Ghz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD 500GB Black 3TB Storage Drive Sony DVD R/W Dual Layer Coolermaster TX3 Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro Viewsonic 22" 1650X1050 HD TFT Generic Corsair Builder Series 600WT 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lancool First Knight Gigabyte M6800 Generic On Board Realtek 
  hide details  
Reply
post #110 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCLimax View Post
http://yro.slashdot.org/story/11/05/...ait-and-Switch



https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...g0ZDQ1NTY1YjBh



ouch. up to $2000 laptops replaced with a $279 single core celeron ****box.
This si why im AMD/ATI all the way
Oppress This!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 2 X4 B55BE @ 3.7 ASUS M4A89GTD-PRO USB3 GTX 470 + GTX 275 SOC 4gb Crucial Ballistix T 1600 6-8-6-20-24 1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2xWD640AAHLS + Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM + 2x150gb VRapt HP IDE + LG SATA Win 7 x64 ult 15" 1024x768 Dell (visually impaired) 
PowerCase
XFX XXX 650w (green fan) Antec 300 (Heavily Modded) 
  hide details  
Reply
Oppress This!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 2 X4 B55BE @ 3.7 ASUS M4A89GTD-PRO USB3 GTX 470 + GTX 275 SOC 4gb Crucial Ballistix T 1600 6-8-6-20-24 1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2xWD640AAHLS + Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM + 2x150gb VRapt HP IDE + LG SATA Win 7 x64 ult 15" 1024x768 Dell (visually impaired) 
PowerCase
XFX XXX 650w (green fan) Antec 300 (Heavily Modded) 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Slashdot]Nvidia gets away with bait and switch laptop replacements