Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › overclocking 6970 in crossfire question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

overclocking 6970 in crossfire question - Page 2

post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaz;13367841 
good point there adamwzl. ULPS and MSI AB does not play nice. I used registry hack method of overclock and did not have to mess with ULPS.

My issues were different though - overclocking not sticking with one GPU and powerplay messing up causing one GPU to be always on full load, etc.

I had that as well, the 99% gpu load was a driver issue since the 10.12's. Also i found a work around by having to close down AB, reopening then reapplying the OC to have both cards at the same clock. If the GPU bug popped up I just opened gpuz and it went away.

Very much a pita frown.gif
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k @ 4.5 HT 1.35v ASUS P8Z77-WS PNY 970 SLI 1440/4001 + 670 Physx G-Skil RipJaw 2x16GB 1866 OC 2000mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x128 Cruical M4 SSD RAID 0 - 2x1TB WD Blues RA... Dvd-Rw Custom Water Loop Win 8.1 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS Rog Swift + 2 Dell U2414h 24" Corsair K70 Xcilio 1000watt Corsair Air 540 with Koolance ERM 2K3U  
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech g400 Steelseries QcK Custom built 4.1; 2x BIC DV62si, 2x BIC DV32B; ... 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k @ 4.5 HT 1.35v ASUS P8Z77-WS PNY 970 SLI 1440/4001 + 670 Physx G-Skil RipJaw 2x16GB 1866 OC 2000mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x128 Cruical M4 SSD RAID 0 - 2x1TB WD Blues RA... Dvd-Rw Custom Water Loop Win 8.1 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS Rog Swift + 2 Dell U2414h 24" Corsair K70 Xcilio 1000watt Corsair Air 540 with Koolance ERM 2K3U  
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech g400 Steelseries QcK Custom built 4.1; 2x BIC DV62si, 2x BIC DV32B; ... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 16
This is good stuff to knwo since I am faced with having to get another 6970 if I want to play good games in eyefinity. right now with stock clocks I can only play Black ops. games like crysis or Just cause 2 are unplayable with FPS below 20 at 5760x1080 and settings on full. I did try an OC on the card to 950/1450 and ran it in heaven 2.5 and scored marginally better than stock. It scored 1120 in single monitor mode and 420 in eyefinity opposed to stock which was 1087 in single monitor at 1920x1080 and 407 in eyefinity.

Nto sure if the card is not working properly or if there is another issue. I was going to order another 6970, but I am thinking it wont help much. If I am getting 15-20 FPS right now in Just cause 2 then I just may barely get 25-30 with crossfire which is still not playable.
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwzl;13368977 
I had that as well, the 99% gpu load was a driver issue since the 10.12's. Also i found a work around by having to close down AB, reopening then reapplying the OC to have both cards at the same clock. If the GPU bug popped up I just opened gpuz and it went away.

Very much a pita frown.gif

I would not say it is a driver issue. happens only with MSI AB. I think it is just a matter of MSI AB not being compatible (considering it does something to powerplay). It does not happen with CCC (registry hack to increase limits) or with Asus smart doc if you load an Asus BIOS.
Wife's bane
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz Gigabyte Z77 UD3H HIS R9-290 8 GB Samsung Wonder RAM 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial SSD for OS Samsung Spinpoint F3 Asus XSPC water block, 360 radiator, and 720 reservo... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
GPU cooling - XSPC Razer full GPU blocks Win 7 Home Premium Asus PB278Q 2560 X 1440p ISP Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
NZXT Hale90 V2 NZXT Switch 810 Logitech G500 Steelseries QcK 
Audio
Optical out to Sony receiver; Deftech Monitor 3... 
  hide details  
Reply
Wife's bane
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz Gigabyte Z77 UD3H HIS R9-290 8 GB Samsung Wonder RAM 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial SSD for OS Samsung Spinpoint F3 Asus XSPC water block, 360 radiator, and 720 reservo... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
GPU cooling - XSPC Razer full GPU blocks Win 7 Home Premium Asus PB278Q 2560 X 1440p ISP Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
NZXT Hale90 V2 NZXT Switch 810 Logitech G500 Steelseries QcK 
Audio
Optical out to Sony receiver; Deftech Monitor 3... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaz;13369447 
I would not say it is a driver issue. happens only with MSI AB. I think it is just a matter of MSI AB not being compatible (considering it does something to powerplay). It does not happen with CCC (registry hack to increase limits) or with Asus smart doc if you load an Asus BIOS.

If you've been paying attention to any of the multiple 11.4 beta drivers released last month. I believe the last one acutally had the fix for the 99% gpu bug problem when idle. It was a massive problem and all the threads over at guru were basicly complaining about that.
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k @ 4.5 HT 1.35v ASUS P8Z77-WS PNY 970 SLI 1440/4001 + 670 Physx G-Skil RipJaw 2x16GB 1866 OC 2000mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x128 Cruical M4 SSD RAID 0 - 2x1TB WD Blues RA... Dvd-Rw Custom Water Loop Win 8.1 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS Rog Swift + 2 Dell U2414h 24" Corsair K70 Xcilio 1000watt Corsair Air 540 with Koolance ERM 2K3U  
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech g400 Steelseries QcK Custom built 4.1; 2x BIC DV62si, 2x BIC DV32B; ... 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k @ 4.5 HT 1.35v ASUS P8Z77-WS PNY 970 SLI 1440/4001 + 670 Physx G-Skil RipJaw 2x16GB 1866 OC 2000mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x128 Cruical M4 SSD RAID 0 - 2x1TB WD Blues RA... Dvd-Rw Custom Water Loop Win 8.1 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS Rog Swift + 2 Dell U2414h 24" Corsair K70 Xcilio 1000watt Corsair Air 540 with Koolance ERM 2K3U  
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech g400 Steelseries QcK Custom built 4.1; 2x BIC DV62si, 2x BIC DV32B; ... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgearfan;13369393 
This is good stuff to knwo since I am faced with having to get another 6970 if I want to play good games in eyefinity. right now with stock clocks I can only play Black ops. games like crysis or Just cause 2 are unplayable with FPS below 20 at 5760x1080 and settings on full. I did try an OC on the card to 950/1450 and ran it in heaven 2.5 and scored marginally better than stock. It scored 1120 in single monitor mode and 420 in eyefinity opposed to stock which was 1087 in single monitor at 1920x1080 and 407 in eyefinity.

Nto sure if the card is not working properly or if there is another issue. I was going to order another 6970, but I am thinking it wont help much. If I am getting 15-20 FPS right now in Just cause 2 then I just may barely get 25-30 with crossfire which is still not playable.

Im not too sure if your new to eyefinity or not. But also the larger your resolution drop the AA down. I play at 4800x900 and only use 2xaa. If I look at far enough I see choppyness and what not but that doesnt bother me all that much.

I just got my 6950s in crossfire and I was using 6850s in crossfire before running eyefinity. I had to order a mini dp adapter so Im still waiting for that to come in. So I cant really comment on how well its going to run yet. But also you can help yourself out by going to multiple review sites and looking for either eyefinity benchmarks or benchmarks at 2560x1600 res.

At 2560x1600 just drop the performance by 15-20% in certain games and thats what you should average.


But I honestly believe you should see a much better improvement with the additional 6970 in crossfire.
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k @ 4.5 HT 1.35v ASUS P8Z77-WS PNY 970 SLI 1440/4001 + 670 Physx G-Skil RipJaw 2x16GB 1866 OC 2000mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x128 Cruical M4 SSD RAID 0 - 2x1TB WD Blues RA... Dvd-Rw Custom Water Loop Win 8.1 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS Rog Swift + 2 Dell U2414h 24" Corsair K70 Xcilio 1000watt Corsair Air 540 with Koolance ERM 2K3U  
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech g400 Steelseries QcK Custom built 4.1; 2x BIC DV62si, 2x BIC DV32B; ... 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k @ 4.5 HT 1.35v ASUS P8Z77-WS PNY 970 SLI 1440/4001 + 670 Physx G-Skil RipJaw 2x16GB 1866 OC 2000mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x128 Cruical M4 SSD RAID 0 - 2x1TB WD Blues RA... Dvd-Rw Custom Water Loop Win 8.1 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS Rog Swift + 2 Dell U2414h 24" Corsair K70 Xcilio 1000watt Corsair Air 540 with Koolance ERM 2K3U  
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech g400 Steelseries QcK Custom built 4.1; 2x BIC DV62si, 2x BIC DV32B; ... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 16
Ok good to know that I may not actually have a problem. I ran a 3Dmark vantage and scoredjust above 22000. It said my GPu was over target but CPU was just barely under target by a couple hundred points.

I did try a lower 4800 res in Just cause with AA off and other settings at low or off and barely got 30FPS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwzl;13369664 
Im not too sure if your new to eyefinity or not. But also the larger your resolution drop the AA down. I play at 4800x900 and only use 2xaa. If I look at far enough I see choppyness and what not but that doesnt bother me all that much.

I just got my 6950s in crossfire and I was using 6850s in crossfire before running eyefinity. I had to order a mini dp adapter so Im still waiting for that to come in. So I cant really comment on how well its going to run yet. But also you can help yourself out by going to multiple review sites and looking for either eyefinity benchmarks or benchmarks at 2560x1600 res.

At 2560x1600 just drop the performance by 15-20% in certain games and thats what you should average.


But I honestly believe you should see a much better improvement with the additional 6970 in crossfire.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › overclocking 6970 in crossfire question