Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Couple Questions from a noob
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Couple Questions from a noob

post #1 of 4
Thread Starter 
My current system is air cooled and has been running stable for 6 years, so I have decided its time to retire it and build new using water cooling. I have been trolling these boards for several months reading what others have done and reading responses and suggestions.

The system I am building is:
i7 2600k processor
Asus Maximus extreme IV mobo
16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws PC 1600 DDR3 ram
2TB Caviar Green storage drive
2x 64GB Crucial SATA3 SSDs in a RAID 0
ABS Majesty 1100w power supply
Antek DF-85 case (holy geez it has alot of space!)

Water cooling set up I am looking at:
EK Acetal + Nickel processor block
EK Acetal + Nickel full graphics card blocks
EK reservoir
XSPC 360 rad
MCP-655 variable pump

I do still have a couple questions:

1. How do I tell if my graphics cards are reference or not or is making this distinction just a buy and hope type set up? I bought two MSI 570GTX OC Edition cards, but no where in the specs does it say reference(at least no where I can see). I really like the look of the EK full board blocks with backplates and was hoping I could use those.

2. Looking at most the systems I have seen so far it appears as though using a single slot PCI face is useless because the block still seems to take up 2 slots, is this correct or is there slim profile blocks I haven't seen yet?

3. Having read through a bunch of this I was wondering if the single 360 rad will be enough cooling? I understand that graphics cards cook water real good, but will starting with only the 360 put my system at risk or will I be good to go for a bit and see if I like the temps and add one later?

4. If I had a second rad would I need to go to a 2 pump system or even just set up 2 loops?

Thanks in advance,
rit
Happy Fun Time
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k Asus Maximus IV Extreme 2 x MSI 570 GTX 16GB GSkill Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x 64GB Crucial SSD, 2TB WD Green 2x LiteOn BD-R Windows 7 Professional 64 bit 27" Samsung, 22" Samsung 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G-19 ABS Majesty 1100w Antec DF-85 Logitech G-5 
  hide details  
Reply
Happy Fun Time
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k Asus Maximus IV Extreme 2 x MSI 570 GTX 16GB GSkill Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x 64GB Crucial SSD, 2TB WD Green 2x LiteOn BD-R Windows 7 Professional 64 bit 27" Samsung, 22" Samsung 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G-19 ABS Majesty 1100w Antec DF-85 Logitech G-5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariten View Post
My current system is air cooled and has been running stable for 6 years, so I have decided its time to retire it and build new using water cooling. I have been trolling these boards for several months reading what others have done and reading responses and suggestions.

The system I am building is:
i7 2600k processor
Asus Maximus extreme IV mobo
16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws PC 1600 DDR3 ram
2TB Caviar Green storage drive
2x 64GB Crucial SATA3 SSDs in a RAID 0
ABS Majesty 1100w power supply
Antek DF-85 case (holy geez it has alot of space!)

Water cooling set up I am looking at:
EK Acetal + Nickel processor block
EK Acetal + Nickel full graphics card blocks
EK reservoir
XSPC 360 rad
MCP-655 variable pump

I do still have a couple questions:

1. How do I tell if my graphics cards are reference or not or is making this distinction just a buy and hope type set up? I bought two MSI 570GTX OC Edition cards, but no where in the specs does it say reference(at least no where I can see). I really like the look of the EK full board blocks with backplates and was hoping I could use those.
Not sure on Nvidia cards, but with AMD cards you can identify them by the PCB numbers. These numbers are located just above the PCI-E connection on the GFX card.

Quote:
2. Looking at most the systems I have seen so far it appears as though using a single slot PCI face is useless because the block still seems to take up 2 slots, is this correct or is there slim profile blocks I haven't seen yet?
It just depends on your conenctions, etc. While it's probably best to have them spread out a little for heat dissapation, I'm sure there are fittings that will allow you to connect two blocks very close together.

Quote:
3. Having read through a bunch of this I was wondering if the single 360 rad will be enough cooling? I understand that graphics cards cook water real good, but will starting with only the 360 put my system at risk or will I be good to go for a bit and see if I like the temps and add one later?
Do yourself a favor and huck that POS Antec case out the window. Or, if you haven't bought it yet, don't buy it. it's a waste of money. With the gear you're putting together, a $250 case isn't that much of an expense. Why put a corvette engine in a geo metro chassis?

that said, another 320 rad would suffice.

Quote:
4. If I had a second rad would I need to go to a 2 pump system or even just set up 2 loops?
That's completely up to you, but you can definitely do a 1 Loop setup with this. 2 GPU and 1 CPU off an MPC655 is very doable. Now, if you were to add RAM, HDD, and chipset blocks...that might be different.
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariten View Post
2. Looking at most the systems I have seen so far it appears as though using a single slot PCI face is useless because the block still seems to take up 2 slots, is this correct or is there slim profile blocks I haven't seen yet?
I'll answer this specifically because last night I just put some waterblocks on GTX480's. What you state is not always the case, it is possible to get blocks that take up only one slot. Most people don't get single slot brackets because their motherboards are not setup to need to do that or they choose to provide breathing room between cards. Also I am sure that putting cards right next to each other may cause some issues with the fittings.

But I had to go with single slot brackets simply because of the layout on my Bloodrage and that I needed to use adjacent slots for other pci-e cards.

Please excuse the fingerprints on the blocks - but from the picture you should be able to see that each card with block attacked only takes up one single slot (you should also see how the last slot underneath the block closest to camera is populated with a Sata controller card )



I took other shots but this one best shows what I am talking about.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K Gigabyte GA-77X-UD5H IGP Intel HD4000 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
512gb Crucial M4 & 2x750GB WD Blacks in Raid 0 Lite-On iHAS424-98 Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit Acer G24 24" 2ms@1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
USB Keyboard SILVERSTONE ST1000-P 1000W Case Labs MH10 #1 Logitech Wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K Gigabyte GA-77X-UD5H IGP Intel HD4000 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
512gb Crucial M4 & 2x750GB WD Blacks in Raid 0 Lite-On iHAS424-98 Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit Acer G24 24" 2ms@1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
USB Keyboard SILVERSTONE ST1000-P 1000W Case Labs MH10 #1 Logitech Wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 4
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post
Not sure on Nvidia cards, but with AMD cards you can identify them by the PCB numbers. These numbers are located just above the PCI-E connection on the GFX card.
Thanks for the advice I think this is what I was looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post
Do yourself a favor and huck that POS Antec case out the window. Or, if you haven't bought it yet, don't buy it. it's a waste of money. With the gear you're putting together, a $250 case isn't that much of an expense. Why put a corvette engine in a geo metro chassis?

that said, another 320 rad would suffice.
I already have the case, but not sure whats wrong with it. This could just be a noob thing that I need to learn, but I have had several Antec cases in the past and love them. My current system is in a 900 and although its loud as **** and has absolutely no cable management, but otherwise seems solid and moves air.

Thanks for the pic Werd, I was wanting one so that I could install a sound card for my surround. Guess I will have to see how big those EKs end up being.
Happy Fun Time
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k Asus Maximus IV Extreme 2 x MSI 570 GTX 16GB GSkill Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x 64GB Crucial SSD, 2TB WD Green 2x LiteOn BD-R Windows 7 Professional 64 bit 27" Samsung, 22" Samsung 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G-19 ABS Majesty 1100w Antec DF-85 Logitech G-5 
  hide details  
Reply
Happy Fun Time
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k Asus Maximus IV Extreme 2 x MSI 570 GTX 16GB GSkill Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x 64GB Crucial SSD, 2TB WD Green 2x LiteOn BD-R Windows 7 Professional 64 bit 27" Samsung, 22" Samsung 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G-19 ABS Majesty 1100w Antec DF-85 Logitech G-5 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Couple Questions from a noob