Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Will a 6990 pair well in Xfire with a 6970?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Will a 6990 pair well in Xfire with a 6970? - Page 2

post #11 of 44
check sig
post #12 of 44
Thread Starter 
If you look at what mobo I have you will see that is not possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthraxinsoup View Post
Get two more 6970s for the price and have more performance.
post #13 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgearfan View Post
Gotcha, so they alrady have a bios setting for an OC? I didnt know that. the issue is my 690 seems to perform rather low in benchmarks like Heaven compared to others with similar setups. I am seeing a max score of 1087 at 1920x1080 4x AA, tess normal. In eyefinity it drops way down to 407 at 5960x1080.

I am just trying to decide if I got another 6970 if it would be enough to kick the FPS up to 40+ in eyefinity on high settings in a crysis type game.
A 2nd HD6970 should be more than enough for that resolution, although you may still need to sacrifice AA to maintain it at +60fps.

An HD6990 + HD6970, or x2 HD6970, both of those combos would be great for EyeFinity and allow you to play with a lot of AA and definitely +60fps in ANY game including Metro 2033.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 7700k ASUS Maximus IX Formula EVGA GTX1080 Ti *soon* EVGA GTX1080 Ti *soon* 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666MHz CL16 Samsung 950 PRO M.2 512GB WD Red 4TB WD Green 1TB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H110i GT Windows 10 PRO ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q Corsair K70 RGB MX Brown 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA Supernova T2 850W Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum Razer Destructor 2 
AudioAudioAudio
Beyerdynamic DT-770 PRO 80ohm JDS O2+ODAC Zalman MIC-M1 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 7700k ASUS Maximus IX Formula EVGA GTX1080 Ti *soon* EVGA GTX1080 Ti *soon* 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666MHz CL16 Samsung 950 PRO M.2 512GB WD Red 4TB WD Green 1TB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H110i GT Windows 10 PRO ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q Corsair K70 RGB MX Brown 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA Supernova T2 850W Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum Razer Destructor 2 
AudioAudioAudio
Beyerdynamic DT-770 PRO 80ohm JDS O2+ODAC Zalman MIC-M1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 44
Thread Starter 
So in effect tri fire is needed for eyefinity to perform well is what I am getting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprovido View Post
check sig
post #15 of 44
There should be no problem at all
FuG 16 Z
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 ASUS P6X58D-E 2x MSI 6970 Lightning  6GB DD3 Dominator 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
3x 1TB F3s [RAID 0] + Crucial M4 64GB Windows 7 25" LG M2550D Seasonic X850 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone FT02 Rat 7 Mionix Propus 380 Swans M10s 
  hide details  
Reply
FuG 16 Z
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 ASUS P6X58D-E 2x MSI 6970 Lightning  6GB DD3 Dominator 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
3x 1TB F3s [RAID 0] + Crucial M4 64GB Windows 7 25" LG M2550D Seasonic X850 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone FT02 Rat 7 Mionix Propus 380 Swans M10s 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 44
Thread Starter 
I believe you but I wondering if my system has an issue since in JUst cause 2 which is pretty intensive will not run above 20fps with high settings and is basically unplayable unless I reduce res to 4800 and turn everything down and then I can get 30 or so. Heaven 2.5 I get an avg of 16fps in eyefinity and a max fps of 39 so I dont see how 2 6970's would get me even over 40fps let alone 60. Since I am limited to 2 slots with my board I wonder if the 6990 is really the best way to go long term.

I will punch holes in walls if I cant play Battlefield 3 in eyefinity properly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcuestag View Post
A 2nd HD6970 should be more than enough for that resolution, although you may still need to sacrifice AA to maintain it at +60fps.

An HD6990 + HD6970, or x2 HD6970, both of those combos would be great for EyeFinity and allow you to play with a lot of AA and definitely +60fps in ANY game including Metro 2033.
post #17 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgearfan View Post
So in effect tri fire is needed for eyefinity to perform well is what I am getting?
im saying you can definitely pair a 6990 with a 6970 without any problems, just switch it to OC mode then overclock it a bit more.. I only have 2 pci-e slots that's why I did this just like the op
post #18 of 44
Thread Starter 
Ya that is what I am thinking. I am the OP by the way.lol I guess you and I are stuck that way and have to run the 6990 to get tri-fire.

Was it as simple as just setting the 6990 and 6970 to 900/1375 in AB and that was that? No need for voltage adjustment? I am just worried about the heat and the ref fans not doing the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprovido View Post
im saying you can definitely pair a 6990 with a 6970 without any problems, just switch it to OC mode then overclock it a bit more.. I only have 2 pci-e slots that's why I did this just like the op
post #19 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgearfan View Post
I believe you but I wondering if my system has an issue since in JUst cause 2 which is pretty intensive will not run above 20fps with high settings and is basically unplayable unless I reduce res to 4800 and turn everything down and then I can get 30 or so. Heaven 2.5 I get an avg of 16fps in eyefinity and a max fps of 39 so I dont see how 2 6970's would get me even over 40fps let alone 60. Since I am limited to 2 slots with my board I wonder if the 6990 is really the best way to go long term.

I will punch holes in walls if I cant play Battlefield 3 in eyefinity properly
For the long term then, the HD6990 together with your current HD6970 would be the best way to go!

Make sure you OC your 2600k above 4Ghz to eliminate any possible bottleneck which such beast cards!

Oh, and there's no need for Tri-Fire for EyeFinity, a CrossfireX is more than enough!

Have you tried running JC2 maxed out but without AA? It should handle it fine with a single HD6970 at least above 30fps.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 7700k ASUS Maximus IX Formula EVGA GTX1080 Ti *soon* EVGA GTX1080 Ti *soon* 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666MHz CL16 Samsung 950 PRO M.2 512GB WD Red 4TB WD Green 1TB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H110i GT Windows 10 PRO ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q Corsair K70 RGB MX Brown 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA Supernova T2 850W Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum Razer Destructor 2 
AudioAudioAudio
Beyerdynamic DT-770 PRO 80ohm JDS O2+ODAC Zalman MIC-M1 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 7700k ASUS Maximus IX Formula EVGA GTX1080 Ti *soon* EVGA GTX1080 Ti *soon* 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666MHz CL16 Samsung 950 PRO M.2 512GB WD Red 4TB WD Green 1TB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H110i GT Windows 10 PRO ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q Corsair K70 RGB MX Brown 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA Supernova T2 850W Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum Razer Destructor 2 
AudioAudioAudio
Beyerdynamic DT-770 PRO 80ohm JDS O2+ODAC Zalman MIC-M1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 44
Thread Starter 
Ya the first thing i did was reduce AA at 5960x1080 at it was still at or below 20fps. It is really a big bummer. Maybe my stock clock CPU is holding it back too much. I could do the auto OC in ASUS bios or the Performance mode which auto OC the system to 4.4ghz but I am not sure that is the best way to do it. ASUS says it is ok, but what the hell do they know? They are mostly minimum wage call center people with a script to follow.

Oh BTW. Who is that in your avatar photo? If that is the level of woman one could expect in Germany then I am moving ASAP!

What I may do is f=go to my local store and pick up another 6970 and see how that goes since I have 30 days to return it. If it works well then great and if not then the 6990 is what will be ordered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcuestag View Post
For the long term then, the HD6990 together with your current HD6970 would be the best way to go!

Make sure you OC your 2600k above 4Ghz to eliminate any possible bottleneck which such beast cards!

Oh, and there's no need for Tri-Fire for EyeFinity, a CrossfireX is more than enough!

Have you tried running JC2 maxed out but without AA? It should handle it fine with a single HD6970 at least above 30fps.

Edited by Topgearfan - 5/4/11 at 11:30am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Will a 6990 pair well in Xfire with a 6970?